infrared41

Glad this is back.

Hard to believe that Ravens offense had so much trouble putting up points when they had Jamal Lewis, Priest Holmes, and Shannon Sharpe. I guess having Trent Dilfer as your QB with Brandon Stokely and Qadry Ismail as your best WR's doesn't help. The defense carried that team.

It's worse than that. Dilfer was the midseason replacement. They had :censored: ing Tony Banks playing QB until they benched him after a 4 game stretch that didn't see a single Ravens TD scored. (They didn't score one in Dilfer's first game either.)

Tony Banks started the season fairly well (5 TDs in a comeback win over Jacksonville in Week 2), then fell off the cliff. It is a testament to the Ravens defense that they won the first 3 games of the 5 game TD-less streak.

Interesting (and related) fact -- the Ravens won every game in 2000 in which they scored at least one touchdown. 2-4 with no TDs (including non-streak 19-3 loss to the Dolphins), 14-0 with TDs (including playoffs).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Round III.

I. I am one of just 9 NFL players who can say this.

II. In my playing days, I didn't talk. These days, people probably wish I'd just shut up. Especially a certain Bears QB.

III. If the NFL kept stats for it, the 29 of these that I put on the board just might be a record.

IV. If the NFL kept stats for it, the 42 of these I didn't make just might be a record.

Who am I?

BB52Big.jpg

Mark Schlereth?

Kramerica gets the win. Mark Schlereth is correct.

I. According to Wikipedia, Schlereth is one of 9 NFL players born in Alaska.

II. During his time with the Broncos, offensive lineman rarely talked to the media. Schlereth is currently an analyst for ESPN.

III. Schlereth had 29 surgeries during his NFL career.

IV. He had a 6 year, 42 million dollar contract offer from the Broncos on the table when he retired.

V. His son Daniel played Major League Baseball. (Not sure what his current status is.)

mc349.jpgsb26.jpg

sb32.jpgsb33.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

Mark Schlereth?

Nitpick: Pro Football Reference has 13 NFL players born in Alaska. (I never thought of Schlereth, so I can't say this one clue threw me off, so I can't really complain.)

29 surgeries... good lord. At what point does it just become mundane? "Sorry honey, can't pick up the kids today. Getting the knee arthroscoped at 4."

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Mark Schlereth?

Nitpick: Pro Football Reference has 13 NFL players born in Alaska. (I never thought of Schlereth, so I can't say this one clue threw me off, so I can't really complain.)

29 surgeries... good lord. At what point does it just become mundane? "Sorry honey, can't pick up the kids today. Getting the knee arthroscoped at 4."

Wikipedia strikes again. Lesson learned. I'll be double checking my facts from here on in.

BB52Big.jpg

"If the NFL kept stats for it" threw me off. I thought you were talking about sacks. I was scouring my brain for defensive players who played in the early days of the Super Bowl when the NFL didn't keep track of sacks.

PvO6ZWJ.png

"If the NFL kept stats for it" threw me off. I thought you were talking about sacks. I was scouring my brain for defensive players who played in the early days of the Super Bowl when the NFL didn't keep track of sacks.

Same here - or other things like pancake blocks, dropped TD catches, dropped interceptions, etc. I was also thinking maybe preseason or Pro Bowl stats.

Yeah, the surgery and contract clues were a little too vague. I think I'm going to dig around and find the previous years so I can remember how I used to do these things.

I liked them, but they were a little vague - but they have to be, to keep you from just Googling the answer. That's what I like so much about this game. It's a process. I remembered that you'd occasionally "slip" and misspell a word/use a homophone, or use a certain phrase that could tip something off.

For instance, the Schlereth question:

I. I am one of just 9 NFL players who can say this. - very vague, but this isn't the clue that you're going to base any guess off of. If you'd said something like "one of just 9 NFL players born here," it would've given away too much. Maybe something like "ironically, I never played for the 49ers" (y'know, 49th state), "you could say I Anchored my team at this position" or something referencing cold weather could've been a nice, faint clue. I'm just spitballing here.

II. In my playing days, I didn't talk. These days, people probably wish I'd just shut up. Especially a certain Bears QB. - solid clue. You're obviously looking for a broadcaster or commentator (or at least someone who keeps in the news with comments regarding, say, Bears QBs). Schlereth just didn't come to me.

III. If the NFL kept stats for it, the 29 of these that I put on the board just might be a record. - "put on the board" is vague, and makes you want to think about game stats. IMO, if the question had been worded "29 of these that I had" or "29 of these that I went through" - it's still rather nebulous but could point someone away from the field.

IV. If the NFL kept stats for it, the 42 of these I didn't make just might be a record. - "turned down" vs. "didn't make" would've still been indistinct enough to point someone somewhere, but still hint at retirement. Either way, still a good clue, although "didn't make" hints at on-field stats as well (incompletions, missed FGs, tackles?)

Just throwing some ideas out there. I'm a big fan of this game, have always enjoyed it, and would love to see more.

I'll just say that I stood no chance of figuring out who it was until the fifth clue was revealed, and once the fifth clue was revealed, then Mark Schlereth was the only football commentator I could think of where I distinctly knew a relative of his had played in MLB before (and Daniel Schlereth's debut was at Yankee Stadium in 8/'10, so I remembered it first hand and, trust me, there was plenty of chatter about who his father was). Honestly, when I think of Jay Cutler critics, Tom Jackson came to mind much quicker than Schlereth did.

But that's just me with this given question. There's nothing wrong with the process. For someone who hasn't extensively studied football history the way they have, say, baseball history, this is supposed to be a difficult game, and it's fun to see some of the players from a few decades ago who I can read up on afterwards.

spacer.png

Round IV.

I. My birthplace is much better known for producing basketball players than it is for producing NFL players.

II. Tim Duncan and I have something in common.

III. I played a large role in three postseason games for two different teams.

IV. You could say I was a "clutch" player in those games...if clutch actually existed.

V. Of the 6 NFL teams I played for, each one has made the Super Bowl in the past 20 years.

Who am I?

BB52Big.jpg

Ricky Proehl?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Ricky Proehl?

Anyone other than Rams80 getting this one just wouldn't have been right. Ricky Proehl is who we were looking for.

I. Proehl was born in the Bronx. The NYC area isn't known for producing many NFL players.

II. Like Tim Duncan, Proehl attended Wake Forest.

III. Game winning TD catch for the Rams in the '99 NFC title game, TD catch to tie the game for the Rams in Super Bowl XXXVI, and a TD catch to tie the game for the Panthers in Super Bowl XXXVIII. My guess is Ricky Proehl doesn't have much use for Adam Vinatieri.

IV. See III. "Clutch" referred to the catches he made.

V. In his career, Proehl played for the Cardinals, Seahawks, Rams, Bears, Panthers, and Colts. Each team has appeared in at least one Super Bowl in the last 20 years. Proehl picked up SB rings with the Rams and Colts.

4506-906890Fr.jpg30a88494-48dd-41ef-9106-33697b89d35d.jpgd7119ec2-f3be-4417-91ac-f6cb681de472.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

Allegedly the loudest I have ever screamed/shouted is the moments immediately following his TD against Tampa Bay in the NFC Championship game.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived