2015-16 CHL uniform/logo thread

chrysleraspen08

Well a OHL Team in Flint is most likely going to be called

The Flint Tropics since the name is popular with the people who want to pick a name for a OHL Flint Team

At first I thought it was inevitable, but now I doubt they go with Flint Tropics. IMS Hockey (team owners) wants a nickname that will be marketable for many years and something the community can rally behind. Flint Tropics would have an initial surge in apparel sales and media attention. But once that wears off, all you'll have left is a team with a joke nickname. Plus, while Tropics was popular in the name-the-team contest, a lot of the pro-Tropics votes were from outside of Flint. I'm not hearing too many hockey fans around the Flint area that like that name.

My guess is they go with Flint Phoenix, though I would prefer Flint Arrows or Firebirds. :hockeysmiley:

Bloodhound.gif

felix_thinking_zps5e4863e9.gif?t=1380931

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well a OHL Team in Flint is most likely going to be called

The Flint Tropics since the name is popular with the people who want to pick a name for a OHL Flint Team

At first I thought it was inevitable, but now I doubt they go with Flint Tropics. IMS Hockey (team owners) wants a nickname that will be marketable for many years and something the community can rally behind. Flint Tropics would have an initial surge in apparel sales and media attention. But once that wears off, all you'll have left is a team with a joke nickname. Plus, while Tropics was popular in the name-the-team contest, a lot of the pro-Tropics votes were from outside of Flint. I'm not hearing too many hockey fans around the Flint area that like that name.

My guess is they go with Flint Phoenix, though I would prefer Flint Arrows or Firebirds. :hockeysmiley:

I think fans in Flint would probably warm up to the name Tropics pretty quick, even though, I could be wrong on that. The name is truly unique, even without the Semi-Pro reference considered. Think of it this way, if they can create a unique identity with some amazing jerseys and also produce a really good team, I think the Flint Tropics would fly and get tropical without a hitch or backlash.

Which ones were TM'd? The ones you mentioned earlier? They probably just trademarked the 5 most popular/maybe 1 or 2 they personally wanted

Flint Tropics

Flint Pride

Flint Vikings

Flint Phoenix

Flint Sparks

http://www.mlive.com/sports/flint/index.ssf/2015/02/ownership_of_flints_new_ohl_te.html

New added:

Flint Force

Flint United

Flint Spark Plugs

Removed:

Flint Phoenix

http://www.mlive.com/sports/flint/index.ssf/2015/02/flints_new_ohl_team_registers.html

Sporting Venue Count (for games): OHL: 19 (28 Total)- 770 games (after 18-19),

MLB: 13 (15 Total), NHL: 4

If the Oshawa Generals said no to the Generals and Lethbridge said no to Hurricanes, I'm pretty sure the Moncton Wildcats will have an issue.

I totally forgot about Moncton!

I think fans in Flint would probably warm up to the name Tropics pretty quick

I see what you did there! :wink2:

New added:

Flint Force

Flint United

Flint Spark Plugs

Force, no, dumb singular nickname. United, no, makes me think of the UAW (United Auto Workers), plus it sounds like a soccer name. Spark Plugs is the best of that bunch but doesn't sound right in my opinion. Lots of interesting logo options though; think Bowling Green Hot Rods, Inland Empire 66ers.

This comment on the article has me rethinking "Spark" and not "Sparks", as much as a i hate singular nicknames. But, people in Michigan like to make singular things plural anyways (I'm going to Meijers. Gah! No, you're going to Meijer!!), so they'll be referred to as the Sparks.

A "Flint" creates a "Spark" which ignites a fire! It is a catalyst and a rebirth! Like Flint! We are on the comeback baby!

This comment on the article has me rethinking "Spark" and not "Sparks", as much as a i hate singular nicknames. But, people in Michigan like to make singular things plural anyways (I'm going to Meijers. Gah! No, you're going to Meijer!!), so they'll be referred to as the Sparks.

A "Flint" creates a "Spark" which ignites a fire! It is a catalyst and a rebirth! Like Flint! We are on the comeback baby!

Most CCSLCers have no idea how annoying that is!

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Maybe it's my dirty mind but I see "Spark Plugs" being an easy target for jokes, especially if the team is bad. It doesn't help that they could use that flint/arrowhead/spear logo somewhere like they did with the Generals - that would just make things worse...

Maybe it's my dirty mind but I see "Spark Plugs" being an easy target for jokes, especially if the team is bad. It doesn't help that they could use that flint/arrowhead/spear logo somewhere like they did with the Generals - that would just make things worse...

Lover's Lane "18+" giveaway night? If I'm picking up what you're laying down.

• 2 weeks later...

I voted for Flint Arrows and Flint Lumbermen. Tropics will NEVER happen, thankfully! Flint area residents and Flint hockey fans hate it, while outsiders love it, go-figure. Flint Firebirds (another name for Phoenix) was one of 10 names registered with the state of Michigan by Flint owners over the past few weeks, and seems to have some traction. We shall see what happens. Announcement probably the week of March 23rd. PS: Coach and GM already selected but will not be announced until The Plymouth Whalers season is over. I think they are good selections.

Holland, MI via Traverse City via Flint, NI

I voted for Flint Arrows and Flint Lumbermen. Tropics will NEVER happen, thankfully! Flint area residents and Flint hockey fans hate it, while outsiders love it, go-figure. Flint Firebirds (another name for Phoenix) was one of 10 names registered with the state of Michigan by Flint owners over the past few weeks, and seems to have some traction. We shall see what happens. Announcement probably the week of March 23rd. PS: Coach and GM already selected but will not be announced until The Plymouth Whalers season is over. I think they are good selections.

What, did you guys finally tire of naming every hockey team the Flint Generals?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Most CCSLCers have no idea how annoying that is!

Old-generation Chicago thing too. Gotta go food shopping at Da Jools.

"Flint United" is not without its merits.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

What, did you guys finally tire of naming every hockey team the Flint Generals?

fry.jpg

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

I'm very surprised too. I figured that their days were numbered in Belleville, but I would have never guessed that it would have happened so soon, considering that I had never heard anything about this until a couple of hours ago.

As for the new team, they will keep the Bulldogs name.

Sporting Venue Count (for games): OHL: 19 (28 Total)- 770 games (after 18-19),

MLB: 13 (15 Total), NHL: 4

Lets just hope they ditch those horrendous jerseys and colour scheme. carry over the logo if you must, but cut all ties to the canadiens from there on. Use some ties to the past junior teams of the steel city and adapt a solid base of identity from their. And for god sakes don't copy an nhl franchise's template for laziness sake. Get creative.

Archived