Worst coach in your city in the last 25 years?

Hat Boy

Randy Pfund and Magic Johnson for the Lakers, and virtually any coach for the Clippers not named Larry Brown and maybe Doc Rivers*

College football: Paul Hackett (USC) and Karl Durrell (UCLA)

*--his presidency of basketball operations and the fact he traded for his son brings his coaching reputation down a bit.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Titans have only had three coaches in the time they've been in Tennessee, and the Preds have only had two, so the list is slim pickings Nashville-only speaking.

My vote goes to Mike Munchak. 22-26 in three seasons, 2-20 against teams that ended the season with winning records. Under his watch Tennessee lost to a then 0-13 Colts team in 2011, a then 1-9 Jaguars team in 2012, and they lost to the Texans week 2 of 2013, that team's last win before losing 14 straight. Munchak was a legendary player for the franchise and he played or worked for the team 30-something years, but in the end his teams were all underachieving and underwhelming.

However, if the ship doesn't get turned around ASAP Ken Whisenhunt is right on the fast track to take Munchak's place as worst in my book.

ICXC NIKA

Orioles -- Dave Trembley. Lee Mazzilli is saved by having two consecutive decent half-seasons (just not in the same season, sadly).

Ravens -- Ted Marchibroda. An easy choice, since he is the only one of the three options without a Super Bowl ring.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Rob Jeter. He managed to squander away every bit of momentum the UWM basketball program had from the Bo Ryan and Bruce Pearl eras, and turned us into a low-rent version of Bo Ryan's Wisconsin team that rarely makes the NCAAs... as if anyone is gonna care about that when Bo Ryan's current team is up the freeway and contending for a national championship.

Literally every other Milwaukee team (including the Packers) has shown discernible progress since the early 2000s, but UWM has somehow managed to go backwards since then.

We had Bill Belichick and Ray Handley.......we went with Ray Handley.

It was like one day the NFC East has Parcells and Gibbs 1.0, then the next it was Ray Handley and Richie Petibone.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Brewers: Hands down Davey Lopes. He was at the helm of the worst team in franchise history at 56-106.

Packers: Ray Rhodes. 8-8, one and done. Must have been so bad for a team like the Packers to give up on you that quick.

Bucks: Terry Porter/Trey Stotts. The Twin Terry's. So much hype, so little left on the court.

MU: Mike Deane or Buzz Williams. Deane for the fact he was DOA, and came off the alright Kevin O'Neil era, had them regress. Buzz for inheriting team from Crean, only to bolt when things were getting good after getting his guys!

packchampionslfroh.png

We had Bill Belichick and Ray Handley.......we went with Ray Handley.

It was like one day the NFC East has Parcells and Gibbs 1.0, then the next it was Ray Handley and Richie Petibone.

Even Tom Landry!

iq5b7nF.png

Bucks: Terry Porter/Trey Stotts. The Twin Terry's. So much hype, so little left on the court.

Oh man, Terry Stotts. I remember he was coaching the Hawks, and that he was the longest-tenured coach in the Eastern Conference after being on the job a cool 13 months.

As for the teams I follow:

Atlanta Braves: Well, the only options are Bobby Cox and Fredi Gonzalez. One's in the Hall of Fame, the other's now seen two late-season collapses. Gonzalez, easily.

Atlanta Falcons: Jerry Glanville, June Jones, Dan Reeves, Jim Mora Jr., Bobby Petrino, Mike Smith. The easy answer would be Petrino, but that was just a crazy year. Only coached 13 games before his cowardly exit to Arkansas, but he wasn't exactly playing the cards he thought he was getting. The star QB was being hauled off to federal prison. As much as I hate him, Petrino gets an "Incomplete" score. Of those that actually stuck around for a second season or longer, I'd go with June Jones. I know one of his teams made the playoffs, but the thing I remember most about his tenure was that he and Jeff George having quite the argument on the sideline during a home game (may have been a prime time game, at that).

Atlanta Hawks: Bob Weiss (whoever he is), Lenny Wilkins, Lon Kruger, Terry Stotts, Mike Woodson, Larry Drew, Mike Budenholzer. Easily, it's Kruger. He had no clue what he was doing.

Atlanta Thrashers: Curt Fraser, Bob Hartley, John Anderson, Craig Ramsey, Don Waddell (whenever a coach was fired midseason). Fraser simply had no talent to work with, so he gets a pass. Anderson did next-to-little with the talent the team had, so he earns this title.

Georgia football: Ray Goff, Jim Donnan, Mark Richt. Goff wasn't the best, but he also ran up against really really good teams and was pretty competitive, for the most part. Donnan was a consistent 8-4 or 9-3 coach, but he couldn't beat the rivals, especially near the end of his tenure. For that, Donnan gets the nod.

Georgia basketball: Some miss-mash of Tubby Smith, Ron Jirsa, Dennis Felton, Mark Fox, Jim Harrick. Of these guys, I'd go with Jirsa. The rest at least had Georgia winning, even if they did so improperly.

Redskins: Jim Zorn. He was an accidental head coach. Originally hired as an Offensive Coordinator, but was promoted once management went into panic mode after scaring away Al Saunders & Gregg Williams. Both of which were on the coaching staff during Joe Gibbs second tenure as coach. Williams was actually believed to be next in line to replace Gibbs. We ended up with Zorn.

Nationals: Manny Acta. The Nats worse years came under his watch (.385 win percentage).

Hotter Than July > Thriller

The Titans have only had three coaches in the time they've been in Tennessee, and the Preds have only had two, so the list is slim pickings Nashville-only speaking.

My vote goes to Mike Munchak. 22-26 in three seasons, 2-20 against teams that ended the season with winning records. Under his watch Tennessee lost to a then 0-13 Colts team in 2011, a then 1-9 Jaguars team in 2012, and they lost to the Texans week 2 of 2013, that team's last win before losing 14 straight. Munchak was a legendary player for the franchise and he played or worked for the team 30-something years, but in the end his teams were all underachieving and underwhelming.

However, if the ship doesn't get turned around ASAP Ken Whisenhunt is right on the fast track to take Munchak's place as worst in my book.

I hope Whisenhunt knows what he is doing and doesn't trade the 2nd overall pick for a 34 year old kicker or something.

jaker52sig.png

signatureofteams.jpg

MUNCHEN LOWEN (WAFA) GULF SHORES OSPREYS (IBL)

Archived