Worst coach in your city in the last 25 years?

Hat Boy

Rod Marinelli. 0-16

Wow... The Lions. My Lord.

Yes, Marinelli was the worst, but the seven coaches that preceded him? (Not counting interim guys.)

Counting backwards...

Rod Marinelli 10 - 38

Steve Mariucci 15 - 28

Marty Mornhinweg 5 - 27 (What?!)

Bobby Ross 21 - 32

Wayne Fontes 67 - 71

Darryl Rogers 18 - 40

Monte Clark 43 - 63

That is a truly amazing line up.

And to top it off, Matt Millen got to keep his job through seven-plus seasons, with a record of 31 - 84!!

Top that.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vinny Del Negro was a pretty bad coach with the Clips. Glad he's gone.

There were so many things I could call "my favorite Vinny thing," but one of the funniest recurring ones was how TNT would do the "inside the huddle" thing coming out of the break, and while you'd hear one coach actually going over strategy, they'd cut to Vinny and he'd just be like "one word, guys: execute," and it was seldom clearer that we were dealing with an idiot.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Here, I'd have to say Mike Tice or Brad Childress for the Vikings. The Twins and Wild have had mostly formidable coaches in the past 25 years, though. However, the Timberwolves have an abundance of awful head coaches in their lineage. Jimmy Rodgers, Sidney Lowe, Bill Blair, and Kurt Rambis were the worst of them.

sport-scarf_vikes_zps08004021.png

In a recent 20th anniversary video for Scottrade Center, a fan held a sign for "Keenan Center", a play on words of the original name of the Arena, Kiel Center. Most Blues fans comments were about how the Keenan Center sign still made them shudder.

maxresdefault.jpg

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Mike Keenan was my favorite Flyers coach of all time.

Buddy Ryan was my favorite Eagles coach.

Worst Eagles coach (of my lifetime) - Andy Reid. Made the same mistakes over and over again, year after year. Couldn't build a roster once he took over GM duties. Was nothing without Jim Johnson. Consistently neglected important positions like WR and KR. Never outcoached anyone on game day, and was out coached by far inferior teams (2002 NFC Championship game for example. That Bucs team didn't belong on the same field as the Eagles, yet Reid was completely befuddled and couldn't adjust. Was nothing without Jim Johnson. Refused to run the ball. Promoted his offensive line coach to defensive godsdamned coordinator. Guy would pass on 4th and a blade of grass. It's a crime that Lesean McCoy is the all-time leading Eagles rusher, when a guy like Brian Westbrook played on the team for so long, and (not a knock on McCoy) was a better player. Was nothing without Jim Johnson.

Eagles coaches since I was old enough to really care and know what was going on (not counting Chip Kelly):

1. Buddy Ryan. Gods bless that man's soul. If he ran for mayor, he'd win - even if as a Republican. That's how over he is.

2. Ray Rhodes. Took a terrible team to playoffs in his first couple of seasons. Gave pregame speeches that involved visiting players breaking in to your house and sodomizing your wife in front of you (seriously). Finished with a 3-13 season, but was at least entertaining.

3. Rich Kotite. Yeah, I know - I know. But he won a playoff game after years of futility in the Buddy Ryan era (not all his fault though - FOG BOWL!) Had the sense to hire Bud Carsons as DC and let him run with it. That counts for something.

10. Andy Reid. See above.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Phillies (again, just in my time of following them).

Worst: Terry Francona. Guy was basically Curt Schilling's personal ball licker, and gave all the sorta good players off every Sunday, even though those were the only games fans went to back then. Total pushover, didn't understand the double switch, and was way too passive to manage in Philadelphia.

Best: Charlie Manuel won a WS, and was the lovable grandpa, but he wasn't a good manager. He was good in that he had the respect and admiration of his players, and I'm sure that helped considering all of the egos on those great teams, so that definitely counts for something. But he lost more games for them than he won. I'm going to go with Larry Bowa, even if only as a sentimental pick. He got canned from SD because he was too fiery, then eventually after fans clammored for him to get the job, he got canned for being too fiery. You need fire sometimes.

In the middle:

Lee Elia

Nick Leyva'

Jim Fregosi (bad manager, but was like the mafia don - a tough guy and bully that fit in perfectly with the '93 World Series characters. Got a black eye after a fan knocked him out for saying that south Philadelphians bang their own mothers.

John Felske (I barely remember him.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

For Seattle, Jim Mora, Jr. No contest there. It's no wonder he was one-and-done.

Pretty easy to pick him out of the last 3 coaches, but I can't totally fault him for only winning one more game than Holmgren won the previous season with a team that Holmgren hadn't built for the future at all. A down Hasselbeck, a down Edgerrin James, big-name receivers who couldn't deliver (Deion Branch, Nate Burleson, Housh). The d-line was strong, if inexperienced (Red Bryant, Mebane, Redding), but that's about it. To be fair, Mora did BLOW IT with picking Aaron Curry #4 overall, but hey, at least his next pick at #49 was Unger (basically the only good one of that draft).

I'm 2 years under 25, so I only really started following the Seahawks in the Holmgren era, but looking back 25 years at all their coaches, I think you could make a case for the legendary Tom Flores as the worst, 14-34 (.292) from 1992-1994.

06125f727a1f823d89693bcbf11d35f9.jpg

I'm more interested in picking the Sonics' worst coach of the past 25 years, though. Lots to choose from here, during that tail-end down-spiral:

13. Bob Weiss 2005–2006 30 13 17 .433
14. Bob Hill 2006–2007 134 53 81 .396
15. P. J. Carlesimo 2007–2008 95 21 74 .221
(no playoff appearances for any of them, of course)
Seems hard to fault Bob Hill too much for being the interim coach after Bob Weiss's 13-17 start was deemed unacceptable--I'm more offended by Weiss drafting the Frenchmen Johan Petro and Mickael Gelabale #25 and #48 respectively, although Hill did draft the Senegalian Sensation Mouhamed Sene at #10 overall the next year and tried kicking off the Canadian craze with Denham Brown at #40. P.J. Carlesimo had the absolute worst record, but he was coach when we drafted Kevin Durant, so...
Can I just pick all three as our Unholy Trinity?
DNNhzIm.jpg
"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

Boston

Red Sox: Bobby Valentine.

Celtics: ML Carr. Celtics couldn't even tank correct, failed miserably, but never got the #1 pick

Bruins: Tough call. Between Mike Keenan, who did nothing, and the Bruins missed the playoffs, and Mike Milbury, who was just an ass (a precursor to his career as a commentator), it's hard to pick. But I think the worst was Steve Kasper. Could not lead the team to do anything, even benched Cam Neely during a game without explanation.

Patriots: Dick MacPherson. Patriots only went 8-24 total in his two seasons (1991/92). MacPherson was fairly successful in the NCAA at Syracuse, but could not duplicate this in the NFL.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Archived