The BEST sports innovations

johnnysama

A while ago, I posted a thread on this section of the forums about the WORST sports ideas. But, this thread is the inverse of that, talking about the BEST things that have come to the sports world. Here's my take on the topic.

----

- Most of the things the American Football League came up with: Revenue sharing, the play clock being on the scoreboard, more passing, the player's names on the backs of the jerseys.......

- Interleague play. I know, put away the pitchforks, but every other sports league has some sort of inter-conference/league play, but MLB, always being the last to the party, finally gave in in 1997, and the concept has been a MAJOR success at the stadium box offices. :)

- The NBA shot clock. Obvious. Increased the pace of basketball games.

- The goalie mask. It's hard to believe that there was a time in history where a goalie was considered wimpy for wearing one.

- The two-point conversion in the NFL. Hard to believe it took them until 1994 to institute it, but it's always amazing to see one when it happens.

Now it's your turn! Tell us what you think are the greatest innovations in sports history. :D

UBwef0L.png

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say the three point line, the shot clock, ACL surgery, and allowing pros to play in the Olympics for the NBA.

For American soccer, this one'll be out of left field, but...the FIFA video game series. It seems like a lot of kids I knew that never really liked soccer when they played it when they were in grade school picked up a Playstation or Xbox controller when they were a little older and really started to understand and enjoy the game. I know for a fact FIFA 07 helped me get more interested in MLS.

Considering the history of lacrosse, I think making the ball anything else was an outstanding innovation. If you don't know what I mean, look it up. It's a bit too dark for these forums.

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

The best "innovations" are medical advances other main ones are just marketing.

Tommy John surgery, ACL reconstruction, hip replacement. Better fitting shoes (regardless of manufacturer).

The CFA winning a lawsuit against the NCAA is an innovation.

Heck, the metal/composite tennis racquet, the metal driver, and even AstroPlay are more important and lasting than the 3 point shot.

The 3 point distance hurts HS and AAU basketball since not all states use the shot clock or the same rules.

The digital scrimmage line and first down line for football broadcasts. It's very bizarre to watch an older game without them now.

But those "lines" are not official.

If lines are thought of as innovative, then say Hawk-Eye.

http://www.hawkeyeinnovations.co.uk/

Oh my goodness. Everybody knows those lines aren't official. Nobody's saying they're official. But you can't say they aren't innovative because they have fundamentally changed the way football is viewed. Go back to your planet.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The designated hitter. Gives AL teams a completely different vibe on roster management, especially in a multi game series.

I realize they don't play the DH in the World Series as a concession to the NL, and to balance the game, but it does give AL teams the extra option during the season against AL teams.

Sort of like en passat or castling for you chess players.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

On the subject of football, NCAA Overtime. The NFL's overtime blows in comparison. The 20 yard line shootout is a great way to end games and is much more fair than what basically boils down to a coin toss in the pros. Case in point, NFL teams want Offense in overtime; college teams want to start with Defense.

Totally different strategy.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

The digital scrimmage line and first down line for football broadcasts. It's very bizarre to watch an older game without them now.

But those "lines" are not official.

If lines are thought of as innovative, then say Hawk-Eye.

http://www.hawkeyeinnovations.co.uk/

The Hawk-Eye has really changed how we watch tennis. John McEnroe would not had to get into as many tantrums had it been around when he was playing?

I saw, I came, I left.

On the subject of football, NCAA Overtime. The NFL's overtime blows in comparison. The 20 yard line shootout is a great way to end games and is much more fair than what basically boils down to a coin toss in the pros. Case in point, NFL teams want Offense in overtime; college teams want to start with Defense.

That is great if you don't like football. That NCAA overtime is garbage. Its like ending a baseball game with a home run derby.

The NFL requires you play football if you want to win. Offense, defense and special teams.

iq5b7nF.png

That is great if you don't like football. That NCAA overtime is garbage. Its like ending a baseball game with a home run derby.

The NFL requires you play football if you want to win. Offense, defense and special teams.

Or like ending an NHL game with a shootout...

Archived