The BEST sports innovations

johnnysama

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the subject of football, NCAA Overtime. The NFL's overtime blows in comparison. The 20 yard line shootout is a great way to end games and is much more fair than what basically boils down to a coin toss in the pros. Case in point, NFL teams want Offense in overtime; college teams want to start with Defense.

Totally different strategy.

That is great if you don't like football. That NCAA overtime is garbage. Its like ending a baseball game with a home run derby.

The NFL requires you play football if you want to win. Offense, defense and special teams.

That's a terrible argument, IMO, especially given that some teams are naturally stronger in other areas. If, for example, you have two very high-powered offenses (say a Brady vs Manning kind of thing) and both teams have weaker defenses, the team winning the coin flip will almost surely win the game.

The NCAA overtime pits power against power and then flips it 180 degrees on the next possession. It really is a much more complete showcase of a team's ability to win a game. Also, the fact that the game clock is removed adds an element of strategy to playcalling. There's not as much emphasis on beating the clock - only the play clock. No need for tiptoe catches and spikes to stop the clock, it's completely about execution and play call.

If you want to argue the "purity" of playing football in the NFL style overtime, then why not just add an extra quarter onto the clock? Give them 15 more minutes. Or even 5 minutes. Why the need for "oops one team scored, I guess they win" approach? Just make it like the NBA's overtime or extra innings.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Cages for hockey players.

Cages look 1000000000000000000000000000000000000% better than visors do on hockey players

They are also hella annoying to wear.

I can understand that, and comfort and safety should come first, but it makes the players look a lot cuter than a visor

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Batting & golf gloves.

That's from personal experience alone.

Agreed. I hate batting or golfing without a glove.

As per the cage discussion, my friend for instance, currently plays Jr. A and gets to wear a visor. However, if he goes on to play in NCAA, he'll have to put the cage back on. It makes absolutely zero sense.

On the subject of football, NCAA Overtime. The NFL's overtime blows in comparison. The 20 yard line shootout is a great way to end games and is much more fair than what basically boils down to a coin toss in the pros. Case in point, NFL teams want Offense in overtime; college teams want to start with Defense.

That is great if you don't like football. That NCAA overtime is garbage. Its like ending a baseball game with a home run derby.

The NFL requires you play football if you want to win. Offense, defense and special teams.

That's a terrible argument, IMO, especially given that some teams are naturally stronger in other areas. If, for example, you have two very high-powered offenses (say a Brady vs Manning kind of thing) and both teams have weaker defenses, the team winning the coin flip will almost surely win the game.

The NCAA overtime pits power against power and then flips it 180 degrees on the next possession. It really is a much more complete showcase of a team's ability to win a game. Also, the fact that the game clock is removed adds an element of strategy to playcalling. There's not as much emphasis on beating the clock - only the play clock. No need for tiptoe catches and spikes to stop the clock, it's completely about execution and play call.

If you want to argue the "purity" of playing football in the NFL style overtime, then why not just add an extra quarter onto the clock? Give them 15 more minutes. Or even 5 minutes. Why the need for "oops one team scored, I guess they win" approach? Just make it like the NBA's overtime or extra innings.

Teams had 60 minutes to showcase their ability to win the game.

College OT rules are perfect for the college game because:

1. You're not limited to a 46-man roster in the game.

2. You only need to go 25 yards to score a touchdown.

3. College kickers aren't sure bets on converting kicks.

4. Game just isn't anywhere near as physical or tough as the pro game.

The old NFL OT format was perfect. There's strategy in the kickoffs. The offense would have to do some work to get into scoring range. The defense was given a little room for error before being in a spot where they would be in "force-turnover" mode. You would see some gambles on fourth down because they didn't want to give the other team a chance to go on offense.

The current NFL OT is a slight downgrade, but at least they still put the onus on all three phases of the game mattering.

College OT takes special teams out of the equation. You mentioned what-if both teams have good offenses and bad defenses....what if both teams have an average offense and defense, but one has a great special teams and one is bad? Is it fair that an overtime session takes away your strength(s)?

Also, I agree 100% on the cup. I find people who don't use cups, especially defenders or goalies, to be incredibly dumb.

I don't wear a cup cause I pitch and play outfield. It is the most uncomfortable thing ever to pitch with a cup on, and you don't really need a cup for outfield anyway.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

The old NFL OT format was perfect. There's strategy in the kickoffs. The offense would have to do some work to get into scoring range. The defense was given a little room for error before being in a spot where they would be in "force-turnover" mode. You would see some gambles on fourth down because they didn't want to give the other team a chance to go on offense.

The current NFL OT is a slight downgrade, but at least they still put the onus on all three phases of the game mattering.

College OT takes special teams out of the equation. You mentioned what-if both teams have good offenses and bad defenses....what if both teams have an average offense and defense, but one has a great special teams and one is bad? Is it fair that an overtime session takes away your strength(s)?

I'm with you on this, except I prefer the new NFL OT. I hated that teams could sleepwalk into FG range then win the game. Kicking a FG on a 2nd down isn't normal I tell ya! All kidding aside, the new format forces teams to score TDs or make stops/safeties because now a FG is as good as a 3 and out.

Also, I agree 100% on the cup. I find people who don't use cups, especially defenders or goalies, to be incredibly dumb.

I don't wear a cup cause I pitch and play outfield. It is the most uncomfortable thing ever to pitch with a cup on, and you don't really need a cup for outfield anyway.

I understand with outfielders , however if you're pitcher, catcher, or infielder I really feel like that's necessary. Safety first.

u3J7jjd.png

I'm with you on this, except I prefer the new NFL OT. I hated that teams could sleepwalk into FG range then win the game. Kicking a FG on a 2nd down isn't normal I tell ya! All kidding aside, the new format forces teams to score TDs or make stops/safeties because now a FG is as good as a 3 and out.

1. I LOVE college OT. Each possession is thrilling, and all 4 downs are usually used. I'd be fine with it in NFL, even if it does negate special teams.

2. NFL OT would be better if it was "first to 4".

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1. I LOVE college OT. Each possession is thrilling, and all 4 downs are usually used. I'd be fine with it in NFL, even if it does negate special teams.

2. NFL OT would be better if it was "first to 4".

What I love about NCAAF OT is that the hashmarks are wider & the kickers aren't automatic, even from 25yds.

I think if the NFL adopted any of that, they should at least start the teams at the 50.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

The FoxBox or whatever... that ever present tv score box during live events. I don't know how we ever lived without it.

For TV sports viewing this is hands down the single most important invention for ALL sports. How the hell did we get along without it I'll never know. Going back to watch old games is infuriating in a way because you never know where in the game you're at unless it's at a commercial break or you catch a snipped of dialogue with the announcers. Which of course would have been useless in many settings like bars and restaurants.

Archived