Hand Drawn Baseball

NDFreek

Over the past few weeks, more than ever I have noticed lame concepts. Really it's been clip art logos and fonts, crappy recolorings, ect. The concept section has potential to be good again if people stopped worrying about getting things done fast and worried about quality. It was always my impression 1 quality concepts was better than 10 okay concepts.

I've had my fair share of bad concepts, when I first joined like many of the members I see doing this, I blamed paint, or used clip art, didn't worry about C&C or presentation, ect. Hopefully with time they learn how to better contribute to the concept thread, because some of the ideas I've seen have potential to be good.

That being said, I'm going to practice what I preach to them. Now there have been many great hand drawn concepts on these boards before me. TheGiantsFan had one of the best concepts of the year only doing hand drawn, and I know other users always hand draw first to maximize success on their concepts, and the work does pay off.

So over the next few weeks or so, I plan to post some hand drawn teams I've created. My only hope is I can use the C&C people give me to improve the creations and prove to some new members that, yes people like hand drawn concepts and sometimes hand drawn is superior to anything you can do digitally.

Pittsburgh Steel Wings

The 1st team I'll post is the Pittsburgh Steel Wings. Now originally this was a team I made to be called the Mallards, but after thinking about where I wanted to put it, I thought Steel Wings for Pittsburgh would be a unique name. The colors I used were steel grey and kelly green, which when you're using colored pencils is limited.

995e03f2-a030-4361-aaea-0bbf4893f02f.jpg

I didn't mean for the black outline to be there, I wasn't thinking a went to town with a sharpie :wacko:

Snapchat--4243009018964623158.jpg

away-1.png

(Okay I did copy and paste the home hats on the aways digitally but thats because I wanted them identical)

spacer.png

Thanks for the shoutout, NDFreek! I appreciate it!

Now to the concepts...

I really like the design of it, so you've got that down. My only advice is that the coloring could be improved upon a bit (like, coloring it in a bit darker and possibly using colored fine-tipped markers) and, if possible, it would look better scanned!

Other than that, it's a good concept! And feel free to come to me for any advice you'd need!

~ Daryl

Thanks for the shoutout, NDFreek! I appreciate it!

Now to the concepts...

I really like the design of it, so you've got that down. My only advice is that the coloring could be improved upon a bit (like, coloring it in a bit darker and possibly using colored fine-tipped markers) and, if possible, it would look better scanned!

Other than that, it's a good concept! And feel free to come to me for any advice you'd need!

~ Daryl

Yeah after looking at them on screen and then your hand drawn basketball league I realized coloring is something I need to work on. Time to go back to kindergarten I guess ahhahah.

Other than that scanning is weird with my printer. I have a wifi one and it's always acting up by not connecting to my computer and such. I'll try to fix that as I go along. Anyways I'm glad to see you were the 1st to comment, I've enjoyed your series a lot and I hope you can help me along the way.

spacer.png

I really like the unique name and the colors work pretty well too. I'm a sucker for script logos like yours so I really like that. Very solid concept, and pretty impressive for it being hand-drawn. Can't help but point out that on the first picture "steel" is spelled wrong on the wordmarks.

spacer.png

I really like the unique name and the colors work pretty well too. I'm a sucker for script logos like yours so I really like that. Very solid concept, and pretty impressive for it being hand-drawn. Can't help but point out that on the first picture "steel" is spelled wrong on the wordmarks.

Sweet Jesus Almighty, I forgot the 'L' and here I am preaching to slow down..... What an :censored:hat!

spacer.png

Update for Pittsburgh

Snapchat--8997983563076260525.jpg

Redrew the logo to make the duck look more fierce and sharp. Tried creating the Gunplay font to say 'Steel WIngs' but the quality from my camera doesn't do it justice. Scanners still not working up to par.

spacer.png

Great start, nice to see another hand-drawn concept on here. In terms of the actual product, "steel" to me evokes sharp lines, and I don't feel like the rounded cursive quite captures that. I love the primary logo, great job. In terms of coloring, not sure if I can offer any advice, I always work in colored pencil because I can never get marker color to remain even across the logo, but marker can look really nice if you do it right. When drawing circles for your concepts (aka a roundel), try find a circular object around the right size to trace instead of free handing, it will improve the product tremendously, especially since you are trying to show how a quality thread should look. Fantastic start and I'm excited to see where this goes!

CottonBowl_zpsc664d73a.png

4vAzk2u.png

Star championship signature credit to packerfan21396

Just a thought: With the name and the shape of the wing, I think Art Deco--you might consider going that direction with the full concept.

Good work so far.

Could i get an example of art deco in logos?

spacer.png

Great start, nice to see another hand-drawn concept on here. In terms of the actual product, "steel" to me evokes sharp lines, and I don't feel like the rounded cursive quite captures that. I love the primary logo, great job. In terms of coloring, not sure if I can offer any advice, I always work in colored pencil because I can never get marker color to remain even across the logo, but marker can look really nice if you do it right. When drawing circles for your concepts (aka a roundel), try find a circular object around the right size to trace instead of free handing, it will improve the product tremendously, especially since you are trying to show how a quality thread should look. Fantastic start and I'm excited to see where this goes!

Thanks Sparty, you and GiantsFan are probably put out some of the best work on the boards lately.

spacer.png

I actually liked your first rendition of the duck logo better.

I think before you continue with this, you should experiment with the template though. The pants seem to be at an angle (giving a 3-d feel) while the jersey is not. Also, the jersey looks very skinny. Maybe widen it. That way you'll have more room for the scripts and numbers.

Since every team in Pittsburgh is black and yellow I would maybe stick with that tradition and change the colors. I don't think Pittsburgh when I see grey and green. Love the name by the way!!!

Definitely agree as a Pittsburghian. Good concept though, can't wait for more

Fear the future, envy the past

Since every team in Pittsburgh is black and yellow I would maybe stick with that tradition and change the colors. I don't think Pittsburgh when I see grey and green. Love the name by the way!!!

Well seeing as this isn't a real team I thought I'd break away from that tradition. We've seen so many black and yellow teams for pitt, I thought it kinda be beating a dead horse.

spacer.png

Alright so I looked into Art Deco and tried to make the logos sharper, it kinda reminds me of the Atlanta Falcons. I am liking the black and yellow option but it does remind me a little too much of Iowa. (PLEASE IGNORE MY BASEMENT.)

Snapchat--2000959733441744529.jpg

Snapchat--3753652846740338610.jpg

spacer.png

Really liking the look of this. I think it would look better if the head was enlarged a bit, right now there is a little too much triangle and not enough bird (but only a little, the emphasis should be on WINGS because of the team name). In terms of color, I think I'm leaning toward the original color scheme, but that might just be because I want to see something other than yellow and black for a Pittsburgh team.

Edit: Looking at this again, I think the triangle could capture the wing in this position:

2582089506_ec0a20dbc8.jpg

Not sure if that was what you were already going for, but I think it could easily be done by moving the head up to the top of the triangle and shrinking the triangle a little. Just an idea I had, either way, I'm really liking the look of this logo.

CottonBowl_zpsc664d73a.png

4vAzk2u.png

Star championship signature credit to packerfan21396

Archived