Dan Marino Wax Figurine

WSU151

A life-size wax figurine of Dan Marino at Madame Tussaud's Orlando was recently unveiled. Most people might think it's awesome. I think it's pretty terrible. This board should figure out why:

tempDBCG0050--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?wid

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

In terms of authentic look...the jersey is probably the biggest failure of this. Like MJWalker noticed, it doesn't match the helmet and pants. Also, Marino never wore a Reebok Dolphins jersey, and furthermore, Reebok never made authentic Dolphins jerseys with only the NFL shield at the collar. The collar should have the NFL Equipment logo if it's a true 2002-2012 Reebok jersey.

What about the uniform from his rookie year?

The facemask would be incorrect if they were trying to capture his rookie year. Without doing a search, not sure what year the mask changed.

My favorite player ever that wax figure looks great! The jersey would have to be from the late nineties since it has the drop shadow numbers.

I tried to google one but it was hard to find since Miami rarely wore the aqua over white wore the white over aqua most of the time..

My favorite player ever that wax figure looks great! The jersey would have to be from the late nineties since it has the drop shadow numbers.

I tried to google one but it was hard to find since Miami rarely wore the aqua over white wore the white over aqua most of the time..

Yeah it's definitely a 1997-2012 jersey. The helmet and pants aren't from 1997-2012 though.

The helmet is from the late 80's/early 90's when the Dolphins wore that sort of bright, but also flat muted AQUA on their helmets and Marino wore that particular facemask. And even that facemask looks out of place with the rest of that helmet. The jersey is obviously the 97~12 jersey, and the pants are the originals that they wore up until the mid 80's. Nothing matches. I wish I could see the socks because there's a good chance they messed those up too.

But the Dolphins themselves flubbed their own uniform history when they had Griese, Marino, and Jason Taylor wear uniforms from the past at the most recent uniform unveiling. Marino wore the late 80's early 90's jersey with the old pants. Jason Taylor wore the striped socks with the 97~12 aqua uniform, which they always wore aqua socks with.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The helmet is from the late 80's/early 90's when the Dolphins wore that sort of bright, but also flat muted AQUA on their helmets and Marino wore that particular facemask. And even that facemask looks out of place with the rest of that helmet. The jersey is obviously the 97~12 jersey, and the pants are the originals that they wore up until the mid 80's. Nothing matches. I wish I could see the socks because there's a good chance they messed those up too.

But the Dolphins themselves flubbed their own uniform history when they had Griese, Marino, and Jason Taylor wear uniforms from the past at the most recent uniform unveiling. Marino wore the late 80's early 90's jersey with the old pants. Jason Taylor wore the striped socks with the 97~12 aqua uniform, which they always wore aqua socks with.

For a minute I was wondering if that was the pic they used for Marino to I looked it up...

Here's the aforementioned uniform unveiling

512x.jpgarticle-0-1980104D000005DC-225_634x438.j

Marino's wearing the wrong pants (though nice job on the period accurate high tops), Taylor's wearing the wrong socks. Except for wearing the world's biggest football jersey I think Griese is okay, but it's weird that they chose to give him the orange dominant socks that were only worn for some of 1973. Those uniforms were far more associated with the striped aqua socks that they wore all the way up until going solid in 1987.

PvO6ZWJ.png

512x.jpg

Marino's wearing the wrong pants (though nice job on the period accurate high tops), Taylor's wearing the wrong socks. Except for wearing the world's biggest football jersey I think Griese is okay, but it's weird that they chose to give him the orange dominant socks that were only worn for some of 1973. Those uniforms were far more associated with the striped aqua socks that they wore all the way up until going solid in 1987.

The Dolphins used orange socks as part of their Thanksgiving throwbacks in 2003. Why they did a throwback to 1973 instead of 1972? I don't know. Either way, it's likely the Dolphins had and extra pair lying around so they gave them to Griese.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

512x.jpg

The Dolphins used orange socks as part of their Thanksgiving throwbacks in 2003. Why they did a throwback to 1973 instead of 1972? I don't know. Either way, it's likely the Dolphins had and extra pair lying around so they gave them to Griese.

Ummmmmm ... 30 years instead of 31 a good enough reason?

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

Ummmmmm ... 30 years instead of 31 a good enough reason?

Ummmmmm... maybe. But seeing as everybody makes such a huge deal about the 1972 perfect season, and seeing as 73 was the ONLY year during that glory-years era that they wore the orange socks, it seems peculiar.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived