Stanford Block "S" with Tree updated

Ry

Wow... that's actually extremely awesome. And I can't think of another team off the top of my head that uses green and red and like that.

The Milwaukee Bucks is the only team off the top of my head. The green/red combo is definitely underutilized in sports.

6uXNWAo.png

Interesting concept for Stanford and I don't think it's bad all. IMO Stanford has never pulled off the BFBS very well. It just doesn't look good on them for football or basketball. I think for BFBS to work the best the team has to have a secondary color that really pops against the black and Stanfords red is way too dark to work.

While the old tree against the S was a little cluttered, they have effectively removed the interior of the S in the new version, so the tree is now against a thick, vaguely S-shaped background. I agree the new version is cleaner visually, but it makes less intellectual sense. I think using a different, clearer, font for the S might have been a better approach.

The Cardinal team name is based on the colour (i.e. shade of red) of their uniforms- if they changed the shade of red, is it still Cardinal?

Use the rules of heraldry for more effective sports logos! i.e. keep it simple, use good contrast...

Archived