Designing the Super Bowl

mattb6

previewsb_zpsa14d1e96.png

The Super Bowl is upon us yet again, in its 49th rendition. The Seahawks are back for another helping, looking for a second world championship in a row. The Pats are back for their 6th run since the turn of the century. Most people aren't fans of the game design-wise however.

The Patriots have a fairly dated look, with lots of excessive piping. Their are some good components to their uniforms, however. The helmet stays mostly untouched, as do the pants. The shoulder striping is inspired by the look of the Boston Patriots of the AFL, and the NE Patriots of the 1970s-1990s. The new number font is used to match the new wordmark. On the inside of the collar is "Hang together". This is taken from the quote from Benjamin Franklin:

"We must hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."

The undershirt is inspired by the uniform of a colonial American patriot's uniform. The three stars represent Super Bowl titles. Without further ado, the newly designed New England Patriots:

deflation_zps98373cf1.png

Inspiration:

patsinspi_zps809381d0.png

The Seahawks uniforms were overhauled when Nike received the NFL contract. It's safe to say they own monochrome, so I stuck with that look for them. The stiping is heavily based off of the uniforms of the 80s and 90s, and the most recent stiping pattern. The twelve dashes on the front represent that 12th man thing they love so much, also represented on the pants. "12" is written in the inside collar and on the undershirt. Helmet remains basically the same, with the subtraction of those weird stripe-things and the joining of the Seahawk is a tad bit different.12thmantools_zps1c5c5e01.png

Inspiration:

seahawwwwksinspiration_zps38e35b6d.png

As an extra bonus here's what I believe the field will look like:

xlixfield_zpsef939710.png

Enjoy the game! Expect me back for a NBA All-Star game redesign soon!

spacer.png

Guest darkpiranha

Nice stuff. With all the inspiration images, I had to scroll back to make sure you weren't Sparky Chewbarky. Love seeing the inspiration images.

Great concept mattb, really love the Patriots uniform, I would love to see both teams adopt these uniforms full time. My only nitpick is a very small one but I wish the "neon" green was used a little bit more, I think I would like it used on the logo better instead of the gray but I'm probably in the minority there. Anyways, great work hope to see more from you!

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

These are both very nice. If the Patriots uniform was worn during the regular season, I think I would rather see it with navy pants, I actually feel like the red is a little overdone, or maybe not overdone but unbalanced with the navy. That being said, for this matchup, I like it a lot better with the silver pants and red-heavy look against the monochrome navy Seahawks. I agree with bigmike, I would like to see a little more green on the Seahawks.

CottonBowl_zpsc664d73a.png

4vAzk2u.png

Star championship signature credit to packerfan21396

Archived