Flint Tropics Hockey - OHL

Dbroalexander

So, a few weeks back, news broke that the Plymouth Whalers were being sold and relocated to Flint, Michigan. It was also said that there would be a fan vote for the new name of the team. Every article I read about this had tons of comments with people suggesting the name "Flint Tropics"....

Why not that name? It comes from a popular and very quotable Will Ferrell movie which I feel would drive team popularity through the roof with casual OHL and CHL fans not only in Michigan, but North America as a whole. Semi Pro apparel and Halloween costumes have been popular since the movie came out in 2008.

2lwufxt.jpg

I love the identity of this team, even if it is fictional and ridiculous for a team in Michigan to be named anything tropical.

I think a modernized version of this identity could translate nicely onto a hockey jersey so I wanted to give it a shot.

I had a few early sketches for a very crazy third jersey and I needed a placeholder logo. I don't want to reveal that jersey just yet, but my quick little sketch logo actually looked like it would be perfect.

It was a palm tree and doubled as a "T", so I've been playing with its shape and am looking for some C&C on the logo.

213jghg.jpg

34smlb6.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the 2 leafed side of the tree should be on the right so it forms an F and a T, just a thought, but yes, I'm all for the Flint Tropics haha.

3 and 6 look best to me but might be a little shoulder patch-y. The crest should be something that relates to the Flint Generals in someway in my opinion

6 and 2 are pretty cool. I'm stoked to see this concept evolve.

I love that movie good times and I like number 4

The curved bottoms of 4,5 or 6 look better to me.

This is gonna be fun.

Version 6 is my favourite. I can't wait to see the finished design.

Thanks for the feedback guys! Keep em comin'! I'll probably keep moving along here using 2, 4, and 6 until I decide which I like the best or there is a good amount of support for one logo.

I like 2 a lot, but 4 and 6 look more like a T.

I think the 2 leafed side of the tree should be on the right so it forms an F and a T, just a thought, but yes, I'm all for the Flint Tropics haha.

3 and 6 look best to me but might be a little shoulder patch-y. The crest should be something that relates to the Flint Generals in someway in my opinion

Wow....I never thought of that. I'll definitely give that a shot. Thanks for that suggestion.

And I agree that it's a little shoulder patch-y. Someone else mentioned that to me before I shared the logos on here. I intend to try and turn it into a main crest by adding "ropics" above the swoop, or making it part of a roundel/shield/other shape.

When I first saw the palm tree options (and hadn't read anything yet), I thought you were going to try pull off the F. Maybe it's just in my head, but trying to make a palm tree look like the F could make the tree look unnatural/forced. So, I'd say stick with the T. Not to mention it reads easier... T = Tree = Tropics.

All that said, version 6.

"Type something, will ya? We're paying for this stuff." - Peter Venkman
Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

Are they going to have a guy fight a grizzly bear during intermissions? lol

I like Version 4 the best. Maybe make two versions of it. Keep these the same & make a version of the logo that makes the tree look like an "F" and use them as shoulder patches. The "T" one on the home jerseys & the "F" one on their roads.

bHQC6nd.png?1

1mcUFXN.png?1

I definitely like 4 the best, and I'm actually a fan of the bottom one (with two leaves on the right). It doesn't really look like an "F", but it looks like the tree is moving to the left, giving it a good sense of motion.

I agree that a wordmark with the tree as the "T" would make a better crest, with just the tree as a secondary/shoulder patch.

If they fold, the last game should be the Flint Michigan Megabowl...

YES

Are they going to have a guy fight a grizzly bear during intermissions? lol

I like Version 4 the best. Maybe make two versions of it. Keep these the same & make a version of the logo that makes the tree look like an "F" and use them as shoulder patches. The "T" one on the home jerseys & the "F" one on their roads.

I hope so! And, I'll probably only keep one version of the logo, but not a bad suggestion.

I definitely like 4 the best, and I'm actually a fan of the bottom one (with two leaves on the right). It doesn't really look like an "F", but it looks like the tree is moving to the left, giving it a good sense of motion.

I agree that a wordmark with the tree as the "T" would make a better crest, with just the tree as a secondary/shoulder patch.

I agree with you, I don't feel like it really looks like an F. It kind of does, but its a stretch, but with the 4 and 6 definitely have a sense of motion to them now.

Looks great! But why not an Orange logo with a white trim on the teal??

15cfzbn.jpg

I'm not sure how I feel about that typeface...it seems too serious and corporate for a name like "Tropics". Though you need something condensed so the logo doesn't become too wide. I think the lowercase font in your second photo is better, but still not quite there. It's a little too playful.

Archived