The new AHL Pacific Pod Name Ideas

CLAW

Hey all!

The AHL approved the formation of a new Pacific Division. In case you haven't seen the press release...http://theahl.com/ahl-approves-formation-of-pacific-division-p196033

The highlights are:

Anaheim is moving the Norfolk Admirals to San Diego

Calgary is moving the team the Adirondack Flames (a team 4 months old) to Stockton, CA

Edmonton is moving the OKC Barons to Bakersfield

LA is moving the much-popular Manchester Monarchs to Ontario, CA

Sharks are moving the Worcester to San Jose (for at least another year)

What would be good names for this new pod of teams?

I figure the ONTARIO REIGN and BAKERSFIELD CONDORS might just move up and Stockton already has the THUNDER from the ECHL. But for fun what would be good names for the new clubs.

THE OFFICIAL SITE OF THE FICTIONAL-NORTH AMERICAN HOCKEY LEAGUE

http://thenahl.weebly.com

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Calgary has apparently trademarked Stockton Grizzlies. I hope SD goes with the Gulls, and LA is going to keep the Reign name. I will be interested to see what the Sharks go with. I love that they currently use the original Sharks logo with Worcester, and I hope they keep it, but two Sharks hockey clubs in one town?

The rumors going around say that San Diego is getting the Gulls name again, and if they do I feel like they would either go with what the ECHL club did or something entirely new. Also, this is the perfect opportunity to create the ultimate affiliate bird trifecta: Anaheim Ducks, San Diego Gulls, and Quad Cities Mallards anyone? As for San Jose, one idea I saw was to have the Seals nickname come back, which I feel could easily happen. I think it's safe to assume that Bakersfield and Ontario are just going to switch identities with Oklahoma City and Manchester. As for Stockton, it's interesting that they went with the Grizzlies nickname, considering that the Thunder were sold to Calgary recently: http://www.news10.net/story/news/local/2015/01/28/stockton-thunder-set-become-calgary-flames-affiliate/22490061/ Does this mean they're planning to remove the Thunder identity?

spacer.png

Drink water and try to have fun!

San Diego has to be the Gulls. Any other name will just disappoint the fan base. If they have to go elsewhere for the name though, San Diego Mariners would also work as it has historic ties and some supporters. But Gulls are favored by 66% of fans on the UT's poll... and that's not by mistake.

San Diego Gulls - Historic name and keeps with the bird theme

San Jose Seals - Link to Sharks origins

Bakersfield Oilers - Lazy name (can't think of anything else), but according to that great source of information -wikipedia- is one of the city's main industries.

Ontario Californians - Kinda of joking, but when I think of Ontario, I think of the province. But, I would keep the Monarchs name if possible.

Stockton Grizziles - Flames have decided, but why not Stockton Smokies?

I don't think going with the names of the existing ECHL teams would be possible due to copyrights, even though most likely those teams will have to move now.

San Diego would be the Gulls, no-brainer.

Guess the Ducks area already working on getting it back, but the Escondido IcePlex which owns the name right now for a Jr. A team is somewhat reluctant to part with it. Though they only registered it in August of last year when the AHL expressed interest in SD. And they only own San Diego Gulls, not Gulls San Diego. Either way they need to make it happen.

And they have already registered sandiegogulls.com.

i think the gulls/ducks tie makes a lot of sense not just for history but also in the farm team parent team relationship.

i would like to see the bakersfield team take the barons moniker and tweak the logo to fit the area.

i think the ontario reign is on of the best brands in the ECHL and don't think it should be changed

a san jose throwback to seals would be really cool, but i can't see that happening for some reason.

San Diego would be the Gulls, no-brainer.

Guess the Ducks area already working on getting it back, but the Escondido IcePlex which owns the name right now for a Jr. A team is somewhat reluctant to part with it. Though they only registered it in August of last year when the AHL expressed interest in SD. And they only own San Diego Gulls, not Gulls San Diego. Either way they need to make it happen.

And they have already registered sandiegogulls.com.

Is $100,000 not enough financial lubricant for them to slap a Jr. on the name?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I've noticed a lot of ideas for Bakersfield, but I've only see one person mention the team that already exists there and is beloved by the city's fans. The Bakersfield Condors, a team that has been in Bakersfield since their days in the WCHL starting from 1995 (they used to be the Fog but changed to the Condors in 1998), is already the affiliate of the Oilers. Why make a new name if there's been one already in use for the past 17 years, especially if fans actually like the team name?

spacer.png

I've noticed a lot of ideas for Bakersfield, but I've only see one person mention the team that already exists there and is beloved by the city's fans. The Bakersfield Condors, a team that has been in Bakersfield since their days in the WCHL starting from 1995 (they used to be the Fog but changed to the Condors in 1998), is already the affiliate of the Oilers. Why make a new name if there's been one already in use for the past 17 years, especially if fans actually like the team name?

Rumor has it that that name is staying put, but with Oilers colors now.

bYhYmxh.png

Reign and Condors should remain as fan-favorites. Gulls is a no-brainer for SD.

San Jose is the interesting one. Im pretty sure it'll be shark-related, if not remaining the Sharks. Maybe Bay Area/NorCal Sharks/Tiburons/Frenzy/Makos.

Rumor has it that that name is staying put, but with Oilers colors now.

Interesting. Don't know how that'll turn out.

Reign and Condors should remain as fan-favorites. Gulls is a no-brainer for SD.

San Jose is the interesting one. Im pretty sure it'll be shark-related, if not remaining the Sharks. Maybe Bay Area/NorCal Sharks/Tiburons/Frenzy/Makos.

Now there's an idea, naming it after different types of sharks. Maybe the Makos or Threshers could work. Another idea would be other elasmobranchs like rays and skates. Actually, the San Jose Skates would be a really cool idea. Doubles as both a hockey reference and a relative of the shark.

spacer.png

Archived