The new AHL Pacific Pod Name Ideas

CLAW

I dunno, I kinda like it there. Don't know about the stick in the N and Alberta in the O, though.

Caught a glimpse of the Stockton jerseys in action in that Bakersfield video; yes, yes, and also yes.

Also, Bakersfield: try some kerning, please.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dunno, I kinda like it there. Don't know about the stick in the N and Alberta in the O, though.

Caught a glimpse of the Stockton jerseys in action in that Bakersfield video; yes, yes, and also yes.

Also, Bakersfield: try some kerning, please.

That would make a LOT of sense...for the same reason it makes sense for the Ducks to have orange as their secondary color.

bYhYmxh.png

Bakersfield has announced their AHL name for next season.

Very cool. Glad they're also keeping the ECHL name alive. Now we just need to see the logo. That's 3 that have now either kept or brought back the ECHL name with the San Diego Gulls, Ontario Reign and now Bakersfield Condors. And we know Stockton is going to be Flame related/derived sadly sending the Thunder name away. Only San Jose remains a complete wildcard as we only know what it won't be, which is Sharks. Everything else is potentially on the table and there is no ECHL or AHL team in San Jose history to potentially draw from so it could end up being anything.

Very cool. Glad they're also keeping the ECHL name alive. Now we just need to see the logo. That's 3 that have now either kept or brought back the ECHL name with the San Diego Gulls, Ontario Reign and now Bakersfield Condors. And we know Stockton is going to be Flame related/derived sadly sending the Thunder name away. Only San Jose remains a complete wildcard as we only know what it won't be, which is Sharks. Everything else is potentially on the table and there is no ECHL or AHL team in San Jose history to potentially draw from so it could end up being anything.

Well they could name them the Seals after the old NHL team that was based in the Bay Area. That would be a wise choice for the Sharks to do. It brings back an old name to the fray and the seal is an aquatic animal so it goes perfect with the marine animal theme.

Well they could name them the Seals after the old NHL team that was based in the Bay Area. That would be a wise choice for the Sharks to do. It brings back an old name to the fray and the seal is an aquatic animal so it goes perfect with the marine animal theme.

Seals would definitely be my first choice for the Sharks team, but we'll see. They could also choose to revive one of the other minor league names from over the years like Spiders or Bulls... though I doubt it. Or they could go completely new which would also be ok since the team isn't playing in SF or Oakland which was the Seals old stomping grounds.

Seals would definitely be my first choice for the Sharks team, but we'll see. They could also choose to revive one of the other minor league names from over the years like Spiders or Bulls... though I doubt it. Or they could go completely new which would also be ok since the team isn't playing in SF or Oakland which was the Seals old stomping grounds.

Seals is my hope. Oakland and SF are two potential landing spots in the not too distant future, so it would fit oh-so-perfectly. However, if they end up in the Sacramento region, maybe a new identity is on the way. Maybe they are just the SJ Sharks part II during their SAP stopover.

Seals is my hope. Oakland and SF are two potential landing spots in the not too distant future, so it would fit oh-so-perfectly. However, if they end up in the Sacramento region, maybe a new identity is on the way. Maybe they are just the SJ Sharks part II during their SAP stopover.

No that's the one thing they have said definitively... it won't be Sharks, Jr. Sharks, or any other Sharks based name. Now it might be some derivative of Shark like a type of Shark, a Remora, etc... Or something aquatic like Seal... but it definitely won't be Shark. Hopefully we'll know soon. We've already found out 3 of the 5 and the Stockton name can't be too far off with them whittling it down to 5.

San Francisco is a minor league hockey guillotine.

sig.png

San Francisco is a minor league hockey guillotine.

So far it has been... but to be fair it's been a guillotine at the Cow Palace. Which in and of itself is a large part of that guillotine. It's a dump that outlived its usefulness 30 years ago and it's in a terrible neighborhood on top of that.

• 2 weeks later...

How about the San Jose Attack? "Attack" as in "Shark Attack".

It's an aggressive name, and ties in to the Shark-motif. Imagine what the logo would look like.

Nope. Singular team names are really bad. What are you if you play for the Attack? An Attack? An Attacker?

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

What happens when the Attack is on defense? It's like calling a baseball team the Batters or the Fielders (the latter of which happened in a memorable horse abortion).

EDIT: Oh, I forgot, that team name does exist with the OHL's Owen Sound Attack, where I've surely made the same case against their awful name. You could do a nice little Charlotte Shuffle in the OHL by flipping their intellectual property with Guelph's, thereby reinstating the old Guelph Platers moniker and creating the Owen Sound Storm, which is alliterative and sounds like something that you'd encounter out on the water.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Or a Lightning minor league affiliate. For an NHL team, it's a bit much.

I don't know. The Stars pulled off the star template for nearly ten years.

I think a 1990's Florida expansion team could make it work. It would be far more fitting than their Maple Leafs ripoffs or their new LA Kings ripoff alternate.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Winnipeg is moving its AHL franchise to Winnipeg. Welcome back Moose!

Montreal in turn is moving its AHL team to the recently vacated St. John's for a few years (where Winnipeg's AHL team was, and will be moving to Laval once their arena is done), leaving Hamilton without hockey for the time being.

Winnipeg is moving its AHL franchise to Winnipeg. Welcome back Moose!

Montreal in turn is moving its AHL team to the recently vacated St. John's for a few years (where Winnipeg's AHL team was, and will be moving to Laval once their arena is done), leaving Hamilton without hockey for the time being.

Wow so St. John's will be sans team long term too? That's too bad, though I do understand it given the remote nature of the IceCaps.

Hopefully the Winnipeg move is like San Jose's and is only short term. Makes no sense to dilute the home NHL market. Particularly in both team's cases with San Jose having their first significant attendance decline in years and the history Winnipeg has with losing the Jets...

As for names though, makes sense that Moose will be the returning name for Winnipeg. And it makes sense that St. John's apparently temp team would remain IceCaps until the Laval move.

Archived