2016 World Cup of Hockey

spartacat_12

2 hours ago, dcameronh said:

Hey, do you think the North American team will look at anyone from the Mexico National hockey team?  I mean, they are a part of NA, are they not? :)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/60/ICE_HOCKEY_MEXICO_2011.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico_men's_national_ice_hockey_team

http://www.iihf.com/sk/iihf-home/countries/mexico/

http://portal.hockeymexico.com/

No... This is the NHL were talking about. And It's already been decided that it's US and Canadien players under 23...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These World Cup jerseys will set the tone for Adidas. If they do a good job with these, I think the NHL should be okay with its jerseys, but, if these end up being disasters, I will be really concerned about the future. The NHL now has reached a point where most of the jerseys are really good again and I don't want to see that disappear. I already dislike the Adidas 3-stripes on the side panels of the jerseys. I just hope these turn out to be decent. The last thing we need is an MLS 3-stripe shoulder or a Nike NFL flywire/ ugly jersey situation. Reebok's arrival in 2007 was bad enough.

Surprised this isn't up already, but they released the logo yesterday. In keeping with the general feel of the tournament, they've gone with a "to hell with it, who cares?" look. Honestly, I have no idea what they're trying to do here. It's in no way appealing, and unless you're one of the very few people who know what Gehry's trophy looks like, you'd be hard pressed to make out what the hell that is in the middle.

12725104_837547969688315_1629255138_n.jp

I didn't see a thread devoted to it yet so I jumped on it. Today the 8 teams will announce their preliminary 16-man rosters. The full, 23-man rosters must be finalized by June 1. Here are the teams so far:

Russia

Finland

spacer.png

7 hours ago, vman said:

Surprised this isn't up already, but they released the logo yesterday. In keeping with the general feel of the tournament, they've gone with a "to hell with it, who cares?" look. Honestly, I have no idea what they're trying to do here. It's in no way appealing, and unless you're one of the very few people who know what Gehry's trophy looks like, you'd be hard pressed to make out what the hell that is in the middle.

12725104_837547969688315_1629255138_n.jp

I've seen the trophy before, but this more or less represents a giant Kleenex box... :D

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Is that really the official logo and trophy? Damn. I would've bet $100 they wouldn't reuse that trophy after the lashing it took in 2004. With the tournament getting a reboot and the format changing I thought for sure they'd take another crack at a more timeless award that actually looks like something someone would want to win and display. This is OTGDNHL we're talking about so I guess I shouldn't be, but I'm stunned.

PvO6ZWJ.png

46 minutes ago, sparky chewbarky said:

Hi MEANS...

I think that the WCoH uniforms are being revealed today.

Do you have any idea as to where and what time?

Thanks

Website says that Sportsnet will start a live 3 hour broadcast starting at 4pm EST. I'd imagine that the jerseys will be revealed during this time as well.

2 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Is that really the official logo and trophy? Damn. I would've bet $100 they wouldn't reuse that trophy after the lashing it took in 2004. With the tournament getting a reboot and the format changing I thought for sure they'd take another crack at a more timeless award that actually looks like something someone would want to win and display. This is OTGDNHL we're talking about so I guess I shouldn't be, but I'm stunned.

I honestly can't believe they're seriously trotting out that piece of space garbage again. And then making it the centerpiece of the event logo too? Like, who the hell cares? Unless you're a diehard hockey fan that remembers the first forgettable iteration of this thing, how do you even know what that is? Blah.

Also, roster talk should probably go in the hockey thread in Sports in General. Leave this for logos and jerseys.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

20 minutes ago, taantumus said:

Fan of Finland's uniforms. Miss the double blue but the simplicity is what I like. Russia is a close second. And then we have the Czechs(?)... what is that? 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

1 hour ago, Still MIGHTY said:

I honestly can't believe they're seriously trotting out that piece of space garbage again. And then making it the centerpiece of the event logo too? Like, who the hell cares? Unless you're a diehard hockey fan that remembers the first forgettable iteration of this thing, how do you even know what that is? Blah.

I have a friend who's a diehard hockey fan, but didn't get into it until we were in college. He didn't know this wasn't the first WCoH until I told him. So, yeah you're 100% right. 

The only thing I remember about the 2004 tournament was that I watched the Canada-Finland final with my Canadian friend and that it had the worst looking trophy I've ever seen. That they took such a long break was exactly why I thought they'd change. By comparison there were only 8 years between the 96 and the 04 tournaments and they felt the need to create a new trophy that time. (the 96 trophy was kind of cool, actually) It wasn't held in 2008 or 2012 like you'd expect so what's the point of having any continuity to the last time this thing happened?

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 minute ago, McCarthy said:

I have a friend who's a diehard hockey fan, but didn't get into it until we were in college. He didn't know this wasn't the first WCoH until I told him. So, yeah you're 100% right. 

The only thing I remember about the 2004 tournament was that I watched the Canada-Finland final with my Canadian friend and that it had the worst looking trophy I've ever seen. That they took such a long break was exactly why I thought they'd change. By comparison there were only 8 years between the 96 and the 04 tournaments and they completely rebranded the whole event that time. (the 96 trophy was kind of cool, actually) It wasn't held in 08 or 2012 like you'd expect so what's the point of having any continuity to the last time this thing happened?

They were probably looking for an excuse to get that thing out of whatever storage closet it's been in. 

Archived