Do you consider the MLS a major sports league in North America?

WhitecapsForLife11

I do. It isn't nearly a Big 4, not when fans in the very cities MLS resides know much history about the league other than some early DC United buzz, Beckham stuff, & LA Galaxy buying recent titles.

So in that regard, it's not close.

However, N.Americans we're finally starting to embrace soccer as legit sports to watch & follow, not just feel weird about. While the DPing of older stars from abroad isn't much of anything really, I do believe there'll come a day when our money walks the walk... that soon enough stars of the sport will be playing in New York, LA, Toronto, & Portland for glory & a paycheque. Hell, maybe they sign here early & then go finish their careers in Europe instead of vice versa how it is now. Who knows.

Anyways, MLS is already ahead of faltering NASCAR (I think NASCAR was a sign of the 00's when its upswing was a curious attraction... yet no longer this decade).

A key for MLS would be going all in on the next MLB &/or NFL work stoppage... not likely since both seem pretty stable. Though filling summertime tv slots would be a gift.

Seriously, with the way golf has also come to flatline, MLS could even perhaps jump ahead of the PGA. Though it'd probably wait until Tiger retires.

I used to watch NASCAR every week. I can't stand what they've done to the Chase. I barely watched any races last year.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do. It isn't nearly a Big 4, not when fans in the very cities MLS resides know much history about the league other than some early DC United buzz, Beckham stuff, & LA Galaxy buying recent titles.

So in that regard, it's not close.

However, N.Americans we're finally starting to embrace soccer as legit sports to watch & follow, not just feel weird about. While the DPing of older stars from abroad isn't much of anything really, I do believe there'll come a day when our money walks the walk... that soon enough stars of the sport will be playing in New York, LA, Toronto, & Portland for glory & a paycheque. Hell, maybe they sign here early & then go finish their careers in Europe instead of vice versa how it is now. Who knows.

Anyways, MLS is already ahead of faltering NASCAR (I think NASCAR was a sign of the 00's when its upswing was a curious attraction... yet no longer this decade).

A key for MLS would be going all in on the next MLB &/or NFL work stoppage... not likely since both seem pretty stable. Though filling summertime tv slots would be a gift.

Seriously, with the way golf has also come to flatline, MLS could even perhaps jump ahead of the PGA. Though it'd probably wait until Tiger retires.

I used to watch NASCAR every week. I can't stand what they've done to the Chase. I barely watched any races last year.

It's not just NASCAR but auto racing in general. IndyCar is a shell of its former self that got a slight uptick when they merged with ChampCar only to continue to falter after with ratings practically non-existent and attendance falling off at all but a few events. NHRA has seen its ratings slump. Even vaunted F1 has seen their rating decline over 20% in recent years as they've pulled out of their traditional markets to go play in non-traditional markets and most damningly in front of non-existent crowds in the mid-east simply to pick up a bribe/paycheck.

I think the fact that NASCAR uses different color seats at the stadium just to make it look like it's full speaks for itself.

I wouldn't consider soccer part of the "big four", I think hockey is more popular there, but I do think it could be considered a "major" american sport. To me it overtakes NASCAR.

I've had a varied relationship with MLS. Interest at first, indifference, followed from a distance when the Crew got good, indifference, and interest again now that I live in Seattle.

But as long as the world's best talent doesn't play in the league (it's gotten so much better in the last 5 years though) then it won't be a major league in North America. NHL, NFL, NBA, and MLB all have undeniably the world's best talent for their respective sports. I approach the MLS the same way I approach MAC football, the conference in which my alma mater plays - if you take it as a stand alone entity and only worry about winning the league and ignore the fact that the best team would get beat pretty easily by some of the other conference champions then it's a lot of fun.

PvO6ZWJ.png

So, what happened to NASCAR? I last paid attention when it was "NASCAR dads" and the next big thing.

2008's economic downturn happened to them. It kept fans and sponsors away from the race track. But they did get a 48% increasein their TV deal compared to the previous one which takes effect on Saturday night.

A question that I think needs to be talked/thought about

Does being/not being a major league within the sport preclude it a major sport within the territory in question?

Ie, while MLS is not a major league within soccer, which it isn't, mean that it isn't a major sports league in North America, on accounts that you can choose, but also remembering it had the best talent in the US/Canada?

Also serious question, does the MLS have a TV deal? aka, where can i watch the MLS on my tv, because i want to.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Sure thing. They're just starting a new national deal with ESPN, Fox and Univision Deportes:

http://mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/05/12/mls-us-soccer-sign-landmark-tv-media-rights-partnerships-espn-fox-univision-deportes

Additionally, the clubs have local TV deals to broadcast within their own regions.

Sure thing. They're just starting a new national deal with ESPN, Fox and Univision Deportes:

http://mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/05/12/mls-us-soccer-sign-landmark-tv-media-rights-partnerships-espn-fox-univision-deportes

Additionally, the clubs have local TV deals to broadcast within their own regions.

Real Salt Lake has a new local tv deal that's pretty good. Games will be broadcast in Idaho and Nevada (Including Las Vegas) as well as all of Utah.

Just how I tend to view things:

Tier A - Football, Basketball, Baseball & Hockey

Tier B - Soccer, NASCAR, Major Golf Tourneys

Tier C - Other Motorsports, Winter Sports, X-Games, Tennis

This isn't meant as a hard-fast rule, but essentially if given the choice between watching Tennis or NASCAR, I'll pick NASCAR - even though I'm not particularly a fan of either. Same goes for the "Big 4" trumping the stuff below. Exceptions would include multi-national events like the World Cup or Olympics, though, as they're more semi-regular and not a weekly/monthly scheduled event like other sports.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Tier A - Football, Basketball, Baseball & Hockey

Tier B - Soccer, NASCAR, Major Golf Tourneys

Tier C - Other Motorsports, Winter Sports, X-Games, Tennis

X-Games has fallen to nothing for me. I think the catch is they did such an excellent job developing their X sports (if you'll allow me), so much so that the IOC bought in, they seemed to forget to polish it up since.

When I watch X-Games, I still see the same 90's era branding & infrastructure. Maybe it's me, but when I'm curious about a potential Olympian &/or their discipline, I don't need to see them performing in a giant backyard/tailgating style venue.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Why does there have to be just four big leagues? Anyway, yes I consider MLS to be a major league. It may never be quite as big as, say, baseball or gridiron, but I believe the beautiful sport deserves to be part of Americana, right between pickup trucks and apple pie.

dismissive wanking

I don't think that sport's likely to catch on. It's a tough market.

Hard sell?

Soft economy.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived