2015 MLB Season Thread with Postseason Discussion

Gary

the trouble that I've always had with this play, is that the runner already knows he is out, he has no reason to slide for the bag. Intentions are clear, to take out the throw to first base. The intent to hurt may not be present, but the very nature of the slide precludes that a serious injury can happen. A fielder is vulnerable to circumstances that may not allow him to avoid the slide through no fault of his own, yet he is the one that pays the price.

How can baseball continue not to protect the interest of the game, team and player, by making the take out slide illegal in this day and age eludes me.

We need to move past the old cliche "it's a part of the game" I would think the most important component of the game are the players themselves.

Good comment on Kang injury :trophy:

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone is still going to have to beat the Cardinals in October- and it doesn't look like the Giants or Red Sox will be around this time

Baseball makes no sense and the Cardinals only win it all when they're trolling. They'll get swept in the NLDS.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I think sliding interference should be curbed but not banned; simply more players should be ejected for it.

Creating interference on a defensive player who has already caused you out is unsportsmanlike. For example, a runner can't throw his hands & arms up if they were running into 2nd base to stop a throw to 1B, why should cleats to the mid section be condoned. Just because 'it's always been that way' isn't a thing.

This is not about babying the game either. It's about preserving it.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

The Cubs have been an incredible pleasure to watch this year but they seem destined for a one game playoff and don't think for a second that every Cub fan in the world is basically clenching a gallon of buttermilk up their asses over that not being another in a long series of heartbreaks.

Then again this is a very different team with terrifying potential. It makes my stomach hurt to think that this team won't get a chance to make legit playoff noise simply because they played in the goddamn central.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The Cubs have been an incredible pleasure to watch this year but they seem destined for a one game playoff and don't think for a second that every Cub fan in the world is basically clenching a gallon of buttermilk up their asses over that not being another in a long series of heartbreaks.

Counterpoint. Right now the Pirates stink.

Counterpoint. Right now the Pirates stink.

Doesn't matter. One game playoff is what it is - a total coin toss. Pirates may not be playing well but assuming they play the Cubs, PNC or Wrigley, it's just about that one game. One game can be won by a currently-bad team.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Joe Maddon is a great man and a hero to the game of baseball.

"To become this vigilante group that wants to get their own pound of flesh, that's absolutely insane, ridiculous and wrong. We don't start stuff, but we will stop stuff."

"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball," Maddon said, fuming. "You can take that book and read it yourself because I don't give a crap about that book. I want everyone there to understand we don't start stuff but we stop stuff."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

"To become this vigilante group that wants to get their own pound of flesh, that's absolutely insane, ridiculous and wrong. We don't start stuff, but we will stop stuff."

"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball," Maddon said, fuming. "You can take that book and read it yourself because I don't give a crap about that book. I want everyone there to understand we don't start stuff but we stop stuff."

TALK TO ME WHEN U WIN 11 WOLD SERIES JOE MADDUMB

twitter

You got me to like a post that involved praising Joe Maddon. That's quite an accomplishment, because Maddon is so overrated and I had to hear so much about his genius and such over the years that I eventually became nauseous of it all.

spacer.png

On the #Cubs hitting 3 STL players, Maddon says: "None of that was intentional, it just happens, it's part of the game."

This guy plays his fanbase like a fiddle. Managing in sleepy Tampa? Sure, let his guys brawl with the Sox and Yanks—nobody cares about the Rays anyway. Managing in Chicago? Just feed into the city's desperate St. Louis complex and try to appear virtuous while doing so—doesn't matter if you're a hypocrite!

On the #Cubs hitting 3 STL players, Maddon says: "None of that was intentional, it just happens, it's part of the game."

This guy plays his fanbase like a fiddle. Managing in sleepy Tampa? Sure, let his guys brawl with the Sox and Yanks—nobody cares about the Rays anyway. Managing in Chicago? Just feed into the city's desperate St. Louis complex and try to appear virtuous while doing so—doesn't matter if you're a hypocrite!

Because every city should strive to be St. Louis. Obviously.

twitter

Then again this is a very different team with terrifying potential. It makes my stomach hurt to think that this team won't get a chance to make legit playoff noise simply because they played in the goddamn central.

A one game playoff is still better than being dressed for the playoffs and having nowhere to go ala the 2000 Cleveland Indians

You got me to like a post that involved praising Joe Maddon. That's quite an accomplishment, because Maddon is so overrated and I had to hear so much about his genius and such over the years that I eventually became nauseous of it all.

And people want to know why I hate Derek Jeter.

#RESP70T

The more other teams talk about the Cardinals and what they do, the more the Cardinals get into their head. The Cards won't change the way they play, so when you sit there and talk about what they do, you're losing the mind game to them. Joe Maddon has been sucked into this. The Cardinals are smart enough to know who to draw into these mind games, and the weaker opponents always fall into them. They plunk you, because they know you are going to whine and cry about it. They plunk you, because they know that none of your pitchers have the gonads to retaliate. They wouldn't do it against a Curt Schilling or Pedro Martinez team, because they know a Schilling or Martinez type would retaliate. Yet, do it against a team who's pitchers won't retailiate, and you defeat them before you take the field. There's nothing worse that for a position player to get plunked and not have a pitcher plunk theirs. That will divide a locker room so quickly, and a divided locker room is defeated before they hit the field.

The more other teams talk about the Cardinals and what they do, the more the Cardinals get into their head. The Cards won't change the way they play, so when you sit there and talk about what they do, you're losing the mind game to them. Joe Maddon has been sucked into this. The Cardinals are smart enough to know who to draw into these mind games, and the weaker opponents always fall into them. They plunk you, because they know you are going to whine and cry about it. They plunk you, because they know that none of your pitchers have the gonads to retaliate. They wouldn't do it against a Curt Schilling or Pedro Martinez team, because they know a Schilling or Martinez type would retaliate. Yet, do it against a team who's pitchers won't retailiate, and you defeat them before you take the field. There's nothing worse that for a position player to get plunked and not have a pitcher plunk theirs. That will divide a locker room so quickly, and a divided locker room is defeated before they hit the field.

Cubs go for the sweep tomorrow. You are a bro whom I wish to commend for a cool story.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Maddon came off looking like a scumbag in the whole thing. The day before, the Cubs took out one of the Pirates' best players with a dirty slide (though I don't think he intended to injure Kang). Then, after Haren hit the Cards' best hitter in the head, Rizzo took a breaking ball off the calf, leading the Maddon's histrionics.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived