2015 MLB Season Thread with Postseason Discussion

Gary

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I approve Toronto acquiring David Price, if that occurs.

Though it's been reported the Padres' Tyson Ross is their #1 probable target, based on return demand. Price is a FA after the season, I'm not certain Ross' status... though AA seems to enjoy collecting talent already under medium-long term.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Why do the Rangers want Cole Hamels? With all the talk, I had assumed that they were a couple games out of first, but I just checked the standings and they're not very good.

They get him under contract for the next three years which is very appealing, but

1) if you're not very good, why give up your young prospects now? and

2) wouldn't some team that's legitimately a guy away give up a little more to get him? I don't know Texas' farm system, but I have to think that the best deal would come from a contender.

Unless the haul is completely absurd, I'd rather the Phillies keep him and pair him with Nola and then buy some hitters with their billion dollar TV deal that kicks in next year.

EDIT:

Rangers give up:

RHP Alec Asher

OF Nick Williams

someone named Eikhoff

someone named Alfaro

no Nomar Mazara (whoever that is.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Hamels had to listen to Lee talk about how much it sucked to play in Texas - and that's when they were good! Hamels is going there when they suck. Earlier in his career when he was a crybaby that couldn't handle pressure and just wanted massages I'd say it would be a good fit, but the way he is now, he has to be kicking himself for not having them on his no-trade list.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Why do the Rangers want Cole Hamels? With all the talk, I had assumed that they were a couple games out of first, but I just checked the standings and they're not very good.

They get him under contract for the next three years which is very appealing, but

1) if you're not very good, why give up your young prospects now? and

2) wouldn't some team that's legitimately a guy away give up a little more to get him? I don't know Texas' farm system, but I have to think that the best deal would come from a contender.

Unless the haul is completely absurd, I'd rather the Phillies keep him and pair him with Nola and then buy some hitters with their billion dollar TV deal that kicks in next year.

EDIT:

Rangers give up:

RHP Alec Asher

OF Nick Williams

someone named Eikhoff

someone named Alfaro

no Nomar Mazara (whoever that is.)

Jake Diekman to the Rangers

Matt Harrison to the Phillies

https://twitter.com/ToddZolecki/status/626582640049680384

Todd Zolecki ‏@ToddZolecki 2m2 minutes ago

Quick summary so far: Hamels, Diekman and cash to TEX. Prospects Williams, Alfaro, Eickhoff and Asher and Matt Harrison to Phillies.

EDIT

Jake Thompson also to the Phillies.

It's done, just waiting for all the names to come out.

Carlos Gomez To the Mets

Brewers get Wheeler and Flores

What happens when you are traded in the middle of a game

ev_wilmer_flores_llorando.jpg

Shame on the Mets for leaving Wilmer in the game and putting him in that situation. There are times they just appear not to care.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Hamels had to listen to Lee talk about how much it sucked to play in Texas - and that's when they were good! Hamels is going there when they suck. Earlier in his career when he was a crybaby that couldn't handle pressure and just wanted massages I'd say it would be a good fit, but the way he is now, he has to be kicking himself for not having them on his no-trade list.

It's also how the Rangers are going to deal with Yu Darvish when he returns from Tommy John next year. The Rangers had insurance this year on Yu's salary, but the potential salary he may command in 2018, or he can opt out of the 2017 year if he finishes top 3 in Cy Young voting in 2016. He will cost much more than what Hamels is due through 2019.

Overall, this is about the Rangers aligning themselves for 2016 as the Choo and Andrus contracts are hard to dump, especially Andrus due to its length (2024).

It took 53 1/2 seasons for Kirk Nieuwenhuis to become the first Met to ever hit three home runs in a home game on July 12.

It took 2 1/2 weeks for Lucas Duda to become the second last night.

Here's the rundown of the triple threat trade as it stands:

Dodgers get:

Mat Latos

Alex Wood

Michael Morse

Jose Peraza

Jim Johnson

Luis Avilan

Braves get:

Hector Olivera

Final two installments paid of Olivera's signing bonus

Paco Rodriguez

Zach Byrd

Competitive Balance Round A pick

Marlins get:

Kevin Guzman

Jeff Brigham

Victor Araujo

VmWIn6B.png

It's also how the Rangers are going to deal with Yu Darvish when he returns from Tommy John next year. The Rangers had insurance this year on Yu's salary, but the potential salary he may command in 2018, or he can opt out of the 2017 year if he finishes top 3 in Cy Young voting in 2016. He will cost much more than what Hamels is due through 2019.

Overall, this is about the Rangers aligning themselves for 2016 as the Choo and Andrus contracts are hard to dump, especially Andrus due to its length (2024).

Just looking at their record, I didn't know how much injuries were responsible for that. Still stinks for Hamels - I think he had 20 blocks or something like that and didn't list Texas so it's not like the Phillies did him wrong, but I'm sure this isn't how he thought it would work out.

Here's the rundown of the triple threat trade as it stands:

Dodgers get:

Mat Latos

Alex Wood

Michael Morse

Jose Peraza

Jim Johnson

Luis Avilan

Braves get:

Hector Olivera

Final two installments paid of Olivera's signing bonus

Paco Rodriguez