North American Pro Soccer 2015

Sodboy13

MLS named Sebastian Giovinco the MVP of the league this year.

As a long suffering TFC fan this past season was a nice step in the right direction although the playoff game was such a let down.

This was another great moment in a year that I really hope will end up being the year "things finally turned around". Seba will play into that a lot.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MLS named Sebastian Giovinco the MVP of the league this year.

As a long suffering TFC fan this past season was a nice step in the right direction although the playoff game was such a let down.

This was another great moment in a year that I really hope will end up being the year "things finally turned around". Seba will play into that a lot.

Toronto... we've got the 2015 MLS & MLB AL MVPs... and? I guess that's something.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Not quite. They announced support for a plan to expand up to 28 teams. They're not yet locked in to adding any more.

"During the next few months, we will evaluate the possibility of growing the league to 28 teams and establish a process and timeline should we decide on further expansion."

Will they? Most certainly. But this announcement isn't really anything in that process.

My only problem is where those next four would be placed... I've heard Sacramento, San Antonio, St. Louis....

If I were them, I'd focus on the 24 and trying to make the league healthy with those teams before expanding even more.

Oh, and Go Timbers! Bring home the Cup, boys!

Β 

Sacramento seems a slam-dunk. They've got the team, they've got the fanbase, and reportedly they have the stadium deal.

San Antonio also ticks the boxes.

St. Louis? We'll see. Good market for the sport, but they'll need an owner and a stadium first. And since MLS doesn't like NFL stadiums without cross-ownership, the potential new Rams stadium is largely irrelevant to the conversation even if it happens.

Sentimentally, I'd like to see Milwaukee make a push. But they're in exactly the same position as St. Louis.

Perhaps paradoxically, I think expansion will help improve the current teams. A larger league means a shot at increased television revenue, and unlike any other sport in this country, there's a huge talent pool to tap with that money.

I hate the 28 team expansion just from the potential logistics of divisions, and scheduling an already poorly managed season. Not to mention what cities get their lower tier teams folded. It's all happening too fast and the pay gap between upper and middle class in MLS is growing. Fix the problems first.

Congrats to the Timbers!!!

The Trailblazers better get their act together. Portland is the only city in North America where I could legitimately picture an MLS team overtaking an established "Big 4" team as the city's number 1 sports franchise.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

• 4 weeks later...

Dragging up this thread because I couldn't find a 2016 domestic soccer thread and didn't really want to start one ...

Goal.com: Jordan Morris to turn pro, likely with Sounders

Someone help me out here β€” why is Morris allowed to bypass the MLS SuperDraft and sign with the club of his choosing? Is it because he's leaving Stanford early?

Archived