NFL Changes 2015

Gothamite

If they are to have a throwback using the silver helmets...I wouldn't rule out the Pats going with the 1994 set, the first year Kraft owned the team and one of the more amazing seasons for the Patriots during the 90s. The weird part is the Pats lost in the 1994 playoffs to a Browns team coached by Bill Belichick.

500x305-drew-bledsoe.jpg

And while I like those late 90s uniforms, Patriots fans connect those jerseys largely to the Super Bowl run in 1996 but the Pete Carroll years after that, which would be kind of weird too.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they are to have a throwback using the silver helmets...I wouldn't rule out the Pats going with the 1994 set, the first year Kraft owned the team and one of the more amazing seasons for the Patriots during the 90s. The weird part is the Pats lost in the 1994 playoffs to a Browns team coached by Bill Belichick.

500x305-drew-bledsoe.jpg

And while I like those late 90s uniforms, Patriots fans connect those jerseys largely to the Super Bowl run in 1996 but the Pete Carroll years after that, which would be kind of weird too.

IDK about that; growing up I remember those uniforms being part of the Parcells era more than anything else.

Pete Carroll is but a small blip on the radar between the Bills'.

500x305-drew-bledsoe.jpg

IDK about that; growing up I remember those uniforms being part of the Parcells era more than anything else.

Pete Carroll is but a small blip on the radar between the Bills'.

Well, the Pats wore the Big Elvis jerseys from 1995-1999. Parcells was there for the first two years of that set, while Carroll was there for the last three.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

^id like it, but it doesn't seem likely. They've just extended their era of monumental success that they've enjoyed in their current unis, so I doubt that they would want at all to commerate the unremarkable period that preceded their success. The only other reasons I could think for a throwback to happen would be if it was wildly popular with the fans (think the creamsicles), and Im pretty sure that everyday fans have forgotten about these for obvious reasons, or if it was very old (like the Acme Packers), and this was just a short lived relic of the 90's. Even if it's the only way to throwback within today's lame rules, I'd bet that the Pats would rather not have a throwback at all since the Pat Patriot jerseys are probably selling fine regardless of onfield use. Not to mention that the sublimated striping would come out horrendous with Nike's fabric paneling.

But they are riding on a huge high right now. Smart marketing would say producing a throwback would lead to more sales. They did make the Super Bowl during that era and is one of a couple options during that period in the mid 90s they can go to due to the current helmet rule

Go A's!

500x305-drew-bledsoe.jpg

Silly you, thinking that most of the Patriots fanbase was around before the Brady and Belichick era. :P

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

With the NFL's ridiculous One-Helmet Policy, I think the Thrift Store Gems Thread has found the Patriots' new alternate jersey.

It would be a decent choice for the Patriots under the circumstances if they ever decided to use this jersey again as an alternate.

So many members of this board are saying this, it's almost like they think this is the official name of it... the "Ridiculous One Helmet Policy" rule, or ROHP for short.

I think, as a counter balance, I'm going to start referring to it as the "Perfectly Understandable One Helmet Policy"... PUOHP for short.

^ Are those Cowboys pants manufactured by Nike or are they outsourced like the Raiders do?

I think they're manufactured by Nike but on a different template. I don't think they're like ripon or anything because they have mesh stripes which I believe is a Nike thing.

With the NFL's ridiculous One-Helmet Policy, I think the Thrift Store Gems Thread has found the Patriots' new alternate jersey.

It would be a decent choice for the Patriots under the circumstances if they ever decided to use this jersey again as an alternate.

So many members of this board are saying this, it's almost like they think this is the official name of it... the "Ridiculous One Helmet Policy" rule, or ROHP for short.

I think, as a counter balance, I'm going to start referring to it as the "Perfectly Understandable One Helmet Policy"... PUOHP for short.

I think the safety reasoning behind it is idiotic, but it prevents the NFL from turning into what college football has become so I like that it exists

I think the safety reasoning behind it is idiotic, but it prevents the NFL from turning into what college football has become so I like that it exists

That is the one positive about the bad rule, but instead of outlawing alt helmets, just state that any second helmet has to be one that was previously used in a team's history. That would limit teams to throwbacks, not new alternates and an Oregon Duck debacle at the pro level.

I guess the Redskins could prove the leather helmet was actually worn...just made of a different material. :D

87Redskins.png

There's gotta be a middle point between "You can only use one helmet color because uh…safety yeah that’s the ticket" and College Football's helmet color/finish/chrome/facemask/logo on one side, number on the other dumbass, wahoo, fashion show for 17 year old boys, free-for-all extravaganza.

I like that the league only allows only one primary helmet per team. It keeps teams looking consistent every time they’re on the field even if they look different from the neck down. It enforces each team’s brand and the helmets can be used as standalone logos and you always know who is who the second you see them on screen. College football is a mess when it comes to this. But I also like the once a season throwback that some teams were doing. It’s a nice change of pace and more fun than just a different colored alternate.

I propose they allow teams to have one alternate uniform. They can either choose to use a throwback and they can only wear it once and make an event out of it. OR they can choose to use a different colored alternate uniform that fits in with their current package and they’re permitted to wear it twice. In a 16 game schedule that’s just enough to keep things interesting, but not often enough to dilute the brand of the regular home and road.

PvO6ZWJ.png

There's a difference between a team like the Bucs and Patriots (for example) breaking out a throwback once or twice a year and college teams wearing a different helmet every week.

If I see orange jerseys and white helmets I say "Oh, the Bucs have throwbacks on, great!" Not "ZOMG WHAT TEAM IZ THAT!!!11!" It doesn't mess with the identity. (And in Tampa's case given what they wear now, the creamsicles twice a year would be really refreshing. lol)

The one helmet rule didn't stop teams from having multiple different helmets cluttering their identity, it stopped teams, like the Bucs and Patriots, from wearing awesome throwbacks. I can't think of one team that used an alternate helmet for alternates sake, pretty much every one was a throwback (or substitute for a leather helmet) or some sort. Maybe the Steelers yellow one but that's it.

It's just a really dumb rule. There's no scientific proof that one helmet decreases concussions. If that was the case then the NCAA would have the same rule. It's just the NFL pretending to care about concussions.

It's just a really dumb rule. There's no scientific proof that one helmet decreases concussions. If that was the case then the NCAA would have the same rule. It's just the NFL pretending to care about concussions.

Exactly. They are over compensating to help out their image, just like how they went big on the NoMore campaign after the Ray Rice video got out. Besides that, I still can't see how they can't have two helmets without increasing concussions. If its a problem of breaking in a helmet, then wear both during training camp and practices, and maybe for the third preseason game to get some live hitting with the helmet on. I'm sure the NFL knows a very simple solution to the problem but no that they've gone all in this preventing concussions (even if it doesn't) there is no way they will go back. There were so many good throwbacks that get ruined or can't even be used because of this rule and its a shame. At least we still get to see the Rams throwback every year with a helmet almost the right shade of blue.

I like the throwbacks, but I think that the prior "no alternate helmets" policy was absolutely the right thing. 16 games over 17 weeks isnt really anywhere near the point where one ought to get bored.

No other sport uses a piece of equipment as an important logo. As ubiquitous as baseball caps are in our society, and as iconic as some have become, you'll never see coverage of the World Series with the teams represented by caps. You'll never see MLB sell a whole line of jackets and tshirts with Brewer caps on the front. You'll certainly not see them market caps with pictures of caps on them. All of that is crucial to the NFL's marketing and merchandising, uniquely so.

Helmets are essential to an NFL club's brand. The league was wise not to let them dilute that brand with even a single alternate.

There's a difference between a team like the Bucs and Patriots (for example) breaking out a throwback once or twice a year and college teams wearing a different helmet every week.

If I see orange jerseys and white helmets I say "Oh, the Bucs have throwbacks on, great!" Not "ZOMG WHAT TEAM IZ THAT!!!11!" It doesn't mess with the identity. (And in Tampa's case given what they wear now, the creamsicles twice a year would be really refreshing. lol)

The one helmet rule didn't stop teams from having multiple different helmets cluttering their identity, it stopped teams, like the Bucs and Patriots, from wearing awesome throwbacks. I can't think of one team that used an alternate helmet for alternates sake, pretty much every one was a throwback (or substitute for a leather helmet) or some sort. Maybe the Steelers yellow one but that's it.

That's because the NFL only allowed alternate helmets if they were part of a throwback uniform. The Steelers yellow helmet was part of a throwback uniform and was never worn with their regular jerseys and pants.

I think this is the policy the NFL should go back to. The one helmet color rule is a dumb rule and eliminated the potential for a lot of great throwback options because the teams would have to use a different color helmet to have an accurate throwback (See: Bucs, Patriots, Falcons. Limiting teams to only one helmet for their primary uniform package is a good rule.

I reread my post above yours and realized it may have been misleading. I've edited it for clarity. I didn't mean that teams should be allowed to have an alternate helmet. I think teams should only be allowed to wear one helmet, but should be permitted a different colored helmet from their standard package if it's necessary to complete a throwback uniform.

We're on the same page.

PvO6ZWJ.png

That's because the NFL only allowed alternate helmets if they were part of a throwback uniform. The Steelers yellow helmet was part of a throwback uniform and was never worn with their regular jerseys and pants.

I think this is the policy the NFL should go back to. The one helmet color rule is a dumb rule and eliminated the potential for a lot of great throwback options because the teams would have to use a different color helmet to have an accurate throwback (See: Bucs, Patriots, Falcons. Limiting teams to only one helmet for their primary uniform package is a good rule.

I reread my post above yours and realized it may have been misleading. I've edited it for clarity. I didn't mean that teams should be allowed to have an alternate helmet. I think teams should only be allowed to wear one helmet, but should be permitted a different colored helmet from their standard package if it's necessary to complete a throwback uniform.

We're on the same page.

The NFL didn't enact it the one helmet rule just because they wanted to be buzzkills. They deal with a lot of legal battles when players retire relating to concussions and head injuries. Many times these players take the stance that the NFL didn't let them wear the helmet they always wear (in situations like throwback games). So the NFL eliminated that option so it was one less court battle they had to deal with. Although the rule stinks asthetically, I completely understand where the NFL is coming from and would do the exact same thing in their shoes.

We're on the same page.

The NFL didn't enact it the one helmet rule just because they wanted to be buzzkills. They deal with a lot of legal battles when players retire relating to concussions and head injuries. Many times these players take the stance that the NFL didn't let them wear the helmet they always wear (in situations like throwback games). So the NFL eliminated that option so it was one less court battle they had to deal with. Although the rule stinks asthetically, I completely understand where the NFL is coming from and would do the exact same thing in their shoes.

I there a source that you're basing these player claims on? This is the first time I've heard of that but it may be the case as you can claim just about anything in a lawsuit. That would be the only reason for this policy that would make actual legal sense is to simply limit the scope of future claims and make it harder to sue. The whole suppression of known health risks to to employees is still remains a massive liability.

On second thought that there's absolutely no logic behind that player claim angle either. Aside from the cowboys, steelers and some others I don't think there are enough instances of 2nd helmets being worn regularly to generate a reliable sample set that would show a correlation. Also every single helmet worn must be certified safe and properly fit to the player's approval. Combine that with helmets breaking mid season or even mid game players have always been forced to change helmets at some point.

Archived