NFL Changes 2015

Gothamite

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's amazing how sensitive the soccer floppers have become, and even more amazing that someone called her a "world class athlete".

Oh baby, Gothamite's been fishing for days and finally got a bite!

Haha Buster got suspended. I knew all that praising a girl without calling her a girl was gonna make someone crack.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It's a damn shame that they designed a stadium with such a poor solution for the field. If it's got a retractable roof, it better damn well grow grass or you screwed up. So the Texans are in this place for at least another 15 years, and they've now got to play on fake grass.

It makes you appreciate how ingenious Arizona's stadium design is. That should be the gold standard for all domes, but then again, we shouldn't have domes.

The funny thing is that Arizona's stadium is the only one who that exists like that in North and South America. I think two are in Europe and the other one might be in Asia.

What you're forgetting is that NRG Stadium was the first retractable roofed NFL stadium. Before that, a retracble roof over a 70,000 stadium didn't exist.

Veltins Arena (Germany) & Sapporro Dome (Japan) were built after NRG Stadium and they were the first stadiums with retractable fields. Arizona, which came after all of the above, basically took Sapporro's design but should've also used also copied Schalke's stand design for the tray end, instead of having an empty end with temporary bleachers.

Basically, NRG Stadium was just a tad bit early to the retractable party.

As for the turf, I find it laughable the Texans are NOW doing something after the Chiefs complained. Did they not hear Belichick's comments after Welker tore his ACL on that turf a few seasons back? What that former punter who's suing them over his blown out knee?!? Heck their No. 1 pick (Clowney) also blew up his knee because of that turf. But NOW theyre doing something after the Chiefs complain LOL

Some timeline clear-ups:

What's now called NRG Stadium in Houston opened in 2002, which means it wasn't the first 70,000+ seater with a retractable roof, as the Millennium Stadium in Wales had already been open since '99. That also means that the Sapporo Dome predates NRG by about a year because they built the Dome, at least in large part, for the 2002 World Cup.

So Houston were early to the party, but far from the first, which kinda emphasizes the point that they goofed when designing that thing.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

is it required to have TV numbers or shoulder numbers on a primary NFL jersey

Yes.

Teams can get away without them on throwbacks, but home and road jerseys have to have them.

If they're REQUIRED on the primaries, then doesn't that imply that the league feels that they're kinda important? It doesn't make sense that they wouldn't require them for throwbacks. I'm curious if TV, radio, or PA announcers ever complain when a team wears throwbacks.

They're either important or they're not. They should be required on all or on none - not on some.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Yes.

Teams can get away without them on throwbacks, but home and road jerseys have to have them.

If they're REQUIRED on the primaries, then doesn't that imply that the league feels that they're kinda important? It doesn't make sense that they wouldn't require them for throwbacks. I'm curious if TV, radio, or PA announcers ever complain when a team wears throwbacks.

They're either important or they're not. They should be required on all or on none - not on some.

I remember back in '94 during the 75th anniversary games Denny Green raised a huge stink over having to play the Bears in these uniforms...

1994_BearsThrowback.jpg

His point being that the Vikings based their protection on specific player's positions, and that they were taught to recognize the players by their jersey number.

Chicago%20Bears.jpg

chicago-bears_pg_600.jpg

Those Bears throwbacks were so damn good. They'd be terrible for everyday wear, but what better throwback than one worn in the first years of the league, by a player in Red Grange who first gave the NFL national legitimacy? I really wish the Bears would bring those back instead of the '40s set they're wearing now. They could even use the current throwback orange numbers on the back if they want, but I can't think of a way to make that work on the front.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Yes.

There are classic cars without seat belts from the early '60s that are still legally on the road now. I'd argue that seat belts are pretty important.

Yes.

There are classic cars without seat belts from the early '60s that are still legally on the road now. I'd argue that seat belts are pretty important.

That comparison doesn't work, because you can't make a car in 2015 that's inspired by one from the '60s and doesn't have a seatbelt.

It only works if we're talking about teams that never changed and were grandfathered in - and we know that applies to no teams.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Well, teams are limited in the number of times they can wear throwbacks.

So TV numbers are important, just not 100% important. Somewhere between 88% and 100% important. :P

I suspect that if the alts weren't limited in use, they wouldn't be exempt from that rule.

I dont see how important they are. You can just wait for the player to turn 45 degrees either way and you see his number

Very true, and speaking of unnecessary NFL requirements, what about the two-minute warning? Why couldn't they just, say, install electronic scoreboards in the stadium that counted down the amount of time left in each quarter? Then coaches, players, officials, and fans could look up at the electronic scoreboard and know how much time was left, whenever they felt like it? It would eliminate the need for each team to be warned that the half was about to come to an end. Oh, wait...

I don't mind the idea of TV numbers being enforced from now on, but not for throwbacks etc.

They'd certainly look out of place on a lot of throwbacks, especially by the standards of this board, so it's great that the NFL can ignore the rule in the spirit of throwbacks

But I totally understand why the NFL want them going forward and enforcing them on anything new is the ideal way of doing that.

Is there any indication that the NFL does want them going forward?

If they did, we would likely have seen them on the Packers' new alts. There's certainly enough real estate there.

Green-Bay-Packers-Throwback-Uniform-3-62

The 1994 version of those throwbacks was in Madden a couple years ago, showing us what that would look like:

Madden08_PackersThrowbacks.jpg

But no TV numbers, which indicates that the NFL is quite content to leave them off these limited-use throwback jerseys.

Any more news on the field turf they are putting down in reliant "nrg" stadium? I know they have the high school/college field they can put down really quick but I figured they would put down a better quality and new Texan only turf like the cowboys do. I have seen nothing here in the Houston news. It would be cool to see the solid end zones without the nfl logo return, maybe some red outlines added

Archived