NFL Changes 2015

Gothamite

Okay, so teams with metallic colors have an argument for not going matte (where was this outrage when the 49ers went back to the old pants years before?). Matte, imo, looks better on a lot of other teams.

To me, uniforms with matte finish look more like athletic wear. The shininess of the old uniforms make them look tacky in comparison. Just because something is "shiny", doesn't mean it's worth more. Especially when we're talking about fabric.

That's my only real problem with Nike. I don't blame them for bad uniforms. Teams have to approve those and usually those happen because the owners or other higher ups have awful design sense and think they're being trendy in a way millennials will like.

My real problem with Nike is their mandating of stupid things to automate the uniform process. Why does every team have to wear matte now? My Eagles look worse in matte, Saints, 49ers, etc. Same thing with the big colors. It looks way worse on the Eagles and other teams. They need to start manufacturing different things for different teams. Some teams matte, some teams shiny.

There's no nike mandate here to change to matte. If you prefer your franchise to have shiny uniform fabric you keep the existing design specs and nike will use one of their contract manufacturers to get you the uniform you want. If you want the Speed Machine/Mach Speed/Elite 51 template you have to accept matte.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 49ers got their just amount of hate for going back to khaki pants.

My personal rule is simple - if your helmet is a metallic color (silvers, golds, Bucs pewter, etc) then you should wear shiny fabric pants so it matches better. What New England wears is a completely different color from their helmet and it looks dumb. Same goes for the Saints and 49ers and Lions and Buccaneers. If your helmet is white or another regular color you can get away with matte pants, but I still think it looks worse to have a high gloss helmet with dull matte pants. The material difference is jarring and looks bush. Good for the Raiders, Panthers, and Cowboys (albeit they deliberately choose to wear ugly green silver pants with white jersey) for choosing the correct option.

I loved when the 49ers surprised everyone and went back to gold pants opening day 1998 and this time they did it right - with metallic shiny pants that matched the helmet color. There's no reason this couldn't happen with their current jerseys and helmets except they want to maintain a relic to the past.

0ap2000000205884_gallery_600.jpg

look at those rich gold britches that shine just like the helmet. Perfect for a team named after the gold rush. Now, compare to Kaepernick's khaki capris

11937365.jpg

I know which one I prefer.

The late 90's modernization was such a superior look compared to going back to the classic look. That set just needed to be streamlined a tad to make it less busy. Also when they wen fauxback full time they actually had shiny gold pants (looked much better) and didn't go back to khaki until the nike takeover.

My personal rule is simple - if your helmet is a metallic color (silvers, golds, Bucs pewter, etc) then you should wear shiny fabric pants so it matches better. What New England wears is a completely different color from their helmet and it looks dumb. Same goes for the Saints and 49ers and Lions and Buccaneers. If your helmet is white or another regular color you can get away with matte pants, but I still think it looks worse to have a high gloss helmet with dull matte pants. The material difference is jarring and looks bush. Good for the Raiders, Panthers, and Cowboys (albeit they deliberately choose to wear ugly green silver pants with white jersey) for choosing the correct option.

I loved when the 49ers surprised everyone and went back to gold pants opening day 1998 and this time they did it right - with metallic shiny pants that matched the helmet color. There's no reason this couldn't happen with their current jerseys and helmets except they want to maintain a relic to the past.

look at those rich gold britches that shine just like the helmet. Perfect for a team named after the gold rush. Now, compare to Kaepernick's khaki capris

The late 90's modernization was such a superior look compared to going back to the classic look. That set just needed to be streamlined a tad to make it less busy. Also when they wen fauxback full time they actually had shiny gold pants (looked much better) and didn't go back to khaki until the nike takeover.

First off, that's incorrect. When they went back to the Super Bowl look with Reebok, it included matte pants. Nike may have made them matte-er, but they were matte in 2011. I can't post pictures from work, but Google the 2012 NFC Championship Game to see examples.

The more I see the 49ers in their current set, the more I hate the "modernization." The current look is so great, bright and clean. The modern set was made a drab mess when they added an unsightly amount of black, inexplicably darkened the red, and removed white striping from the helmets and pants. And that's before you even get to the drop-shadowed sleeve stripes intersected by a logo (along with the hip logo), or the outlined and shadowed numbers. The current set would be perfect if they moved up the sleeve stripes and went to shiny pants. Those are the only things which were better about the modern set, IMO.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

First off, that's incorrect. When they went back to the Super Bowl look with Reebok, it included matte pants. Nike may have made them matte-er, but they were matte in 2011. I can't post pictures from work, but Google the 2012 NFC Championship Game to see examples.

The more I see the 49ers in their current set, the more I hate the "modernization." The current look is so great, bright and clean. The modern set was made a drab mess when they added an unsightly amount of black, inexplicably darkened the red, and removed white striping from the helmets and pants. And that's before you even get to the drop-shadowed sleeve stripes intersected by a logo (along with the hip logo), or the outlined and shadowed numbers. The current set would be perfect if they moved up the sleeve stripes and went to shiny pants. Those are the only things which were better about the modern set, IMO.

Correct on going to the matte with the rbk. Not sure why I thought they had shiny gold.

What bugs me about the Niners is that it's all or none. They either leave gold off of the jersey or they add black, gold, dropshadows, logos on the sleeves, etc.

I always wanted to see them simply add gold outlines to the numbers (and perhaps gold in between the white stripes on the sleeves for a Browns-like pattern). The gold helmet and pants (which I agree, ought to be shiny) make the absence of gold on the jersey look to me a bit too plain. But I definitely prefer it to that over-done mess they are just coming off of.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

What bugs me about the Niners is that it's all or none. They either leave gold off of the jersey or they add black, gold, dropshadows, logos on the sleeves, etc.

I always wanted to see them simply add gold outlines to the numbers (and perhaps gold in between the white stripes on the sleeves for a Browns-like pattern). The gold helmet and pants (which I agree, ought to be shiny) make the absence of gold on the jersey look to me a bit too plain. But I definitely prefer it to that over-done mess they are just coming off of.

I agree.

I didn't mean to suggest by using that picture of Garrison Hearst that I was endorsing the 90's uniform. I prefer the old and current uniforms and was merely stating that they'd look better with metallic pants that match the helmet (they'd also look better with some gigantor pants stripes like they wore in the 80's.)

PvO6ZWJ.png

The irony of people pining for the Saints to wear shiny metallic pants to match their helmet like they used to is that those gold pants were a different shade of gold than the helmets and, therefore, didn't actually match. Meh.

joe_horn_2006_10_29.jpg

I'd like to see the Louisiana state outline return to the Saints jersey. It was a bad move on their part to remove it.

The irony of people pining for the Saints to wear shiny metallic pants to match their helmet like they used to is that those gold pants were a different shade of gold than the helmets and, therefore, didn't actually match. Meh.

joe_horn_2006_10_29.jpg

When did the Saints remove the Louisiana state outline from their jerseys? I know it hasn't been there since the Nike rebrand. Bad move on their part.

It was removed before the 2007 season

I

Check out my site at stevebcreations.com

joe_horn_2006_10_29.jpg

When did the Saints remove the Louisiana state outline from their jerseys? I know it hasn't been there since the Nike rebrand. Bad move on their part.

I

It was a patch to celebrate their return to the Supderdome/New Orleans after Katrina, right? It was worn for their first season back after bouncing from place to place in 2005.

Go A's!

joe_horn_2006_10_29.jpg

I

It was a patch to celebrate their return to the Supderdome/New Orleans after Katrina, right? It was worn for their first season back after bouncing from place to place in 2005.

bobby_hebert_blk.jpg

I liked the sleeve version better

Maybe it's just me, but it did seem like a more colorful league in the 1970s, and I liked it.

NFL+Jackets+Pages+50+and+51+1975.jpg

I've said this before, but I had that Cardinals jacket and hat. Wore them proudly to school in Indiana during the NFL season, and took my abuse from the other kids every Monday.

However, they didn't like to see me coming during the '74 and '75 seasons; although the Cardinals fell apart in the playoffs those years.

I had the Rams set and wore them growing up in Ft Worth, Texas proudly. I wore it out, and nearly got my mother uncle and I killed wearing it to the 76 NFC divisional game in Dallas (Rams won 14-12) thanks for sharing this!

joe_horn_2006_10_29.jpg

I

bobby_hebert_blk.jpg

I liked the sleeve version better

White numbers pop better off black jersey

This was from my childhood. I had the 49ers uni and helmet.

SearsWishbook.1985EC.P412.jpg

HEY, the Packers uniform is current again! :D

I had the rookie Don Majkowski version of this (#5). I still wore the jersey after I lost all the other parts... the old timers all thought it was so cool that I was wearing a Paul Hornung jersey.

I had the rookie Don Majkowski version of this (#5). I still wore the jersey after I lost all the other parts... the old timers all thought it was so cool that I was wearing a Paul Hornung jersey.

I wish that was the current Packers uni w/ the G in the sleeve stripes. In the 1988 catalog the Saints also had a black mask. I don't see why the Steelers couldn't get a black one.

Wow that's a rare one, since he only wore it for a season before switching to #7 - and he hardly even played that year.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived