NFL Changes 2015

Gothamite

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had the rookie Don Majkowski version of this (#5). I still wore the jersey after I lost all the other parts... the old timers all thought it was so cool that I was wearing a Paul Hornung jersey.

Wow that's a rare one, since he only wore it for a season before switching to #7 - and he hardly even played that year.

Never really thought about that before, but you're right. I can only hypothesize that they assumed he'd be the starter because he won more games in fewer starts than Randy Wright in 1987, but they printed the jerseys before his number was changed.

My mom used to work for Sears in the 70's & 80's. Back then they sold a REAL kids football uniform for one NFL team each year. It wasn't the pretend stuff like Hutch. It was made by Rawlings. It included the helmet, jersey (durene fabric), pants, shoulder, thigh and knee pads. When I was around 5 I got an Oilers uniform. I loved it and wore it around the house all the time, even though I was a Broncos fan. A couple years later I got a Rawlings Broncos helmet too. I still have the Broncos helmet, but I'm not sure where the Oilers uniform is.

Update:

Wow! I just found this online from the 1980 Sears catalog. This is the exact Oilers uniform I had. Apparently they did offer every team. I'm guessing there weren't any Broncos uniforms available, so my parents told me they only sold the Oilers uniform so I wouldn't be upset.

R4ZnGt8.jpg

I have all 28 of those Rawlings helmets from the 1982 catalog and none of them were ever worn or played with. Got them off ebay in the very early days of the site and paid about $250 for them all. The story I got was that the seller's son had worked at Rawlings. I love having them, but some of the logos are way too small, and you can tell it in the photos on the catalog page in the previous post. That being said, these were available in the days before the common fan could buy authentics, replicas, and mini helmets.

The 49ers got their just amount of hate for going back to khaki pants.

My personal rule is simple - if your helmet is a metallic color (silvers, golds, Bucs pewter, etc) then you should wear shiny fabric pants so it matches better. What New England wears is a completely different color from their helmet and it looks dumb. Same goes for the Saints and 49ers and Lions and Buccaneers. If your helmet is white or another regular color you can get away with matte pants, but I still think it looks worse to have a high gloss helmet with dull matte pants. The material difference is jarring and looks bush. Good for the Raiders, Panthers, and Cowboys (albeit they deliberately choose to wear ugly green silver pants with white jersey) for choosing the correct option.

I loved when the 49ers surprised everyone and went back to gold pants opening day 1998 and this time they did it right - with metallic shiny pants that matched the helmet color. There's no reason this couldn't happen with their current jerseys and helmets except they want to maintain a relic to the past.

0ap2000000205884_gallery_600.jpg

look at those rich gold britches that shine just like the helmet. Perfect for a team named after the gold rush. Now, compare to Kaepernick's khaki capris

11937365.jpg

I know which one I prefer.

The bright gold on the helmet and those pants in the bottom photo look nowhere close to the same color. You'd think the 49ers would go back to Nike and at least ask for a color that matches, even if it's not shiny.

The irony of people pining for the Saints to wear shiny metallic pants to match their helmet like they used to is that those gold pants were a different shade of gold than the helmets and, therefore, didn't actually match. Meh.

joe_horn_2006_10_29.jpg

When did the Saints remove the Louisiana state outline from their jerseys? I know it hasn't been there since the Nike rebrand. Bad move on their part.

It was removed before the 2007 season

I

It was a patch to celebrate their return to the Supderdome/New Orleans after Katrina, right? It was worn for their first season back after bouncing from place to place in 2005.

bobby_hebert_blk.jpg

I liked the sleeve version better

White numbers pop better off black jersey

I like the larger helmet logo. The current one is tiny and it bugs me that it's so small.

My mom used to work for Sears in the 70's & 80's. Back then they sold a REAL kids football uniform for one NFL team each year. It wasn't the pretend stuff like Hutch. It was made by Rawlings. It included the helmet, jersey (durene fabric), pants, shoulder, thigh and knee pads. When I was around 5 I got an Oilers uniform. I loved it and wore it around the house all the time, even though I was a Broncos fan. A couple years later I got a Rawlings Broncos helmet too. I still have the Broncos helmet, but I'm not sure where the Oilers uniform is.

Update:

Wow! I just found this online from the 1980 Sears catalog. This is the exact Oilers uniform I had. Apparently they did offer every team. I'm guessing there weren't any Broncos uniforms available, so my parents told me they only sold the Oilers uniform so I wouldn't be upset.

R4ZnGt8.jpg

those look better than the mid 80s ones. The helmets look like the ones you could buy solo in the mid 80s. I have the redskins helmet w/ the grey mask.

The irony of people pining for the Saints to wear shiny metallic pants to match their helmet like they used to is that those gold pants were a different shade of gold than the helmets and, therefore, didn't actually match. Meh.

joe_horn_2006_10_29.jpg

When did the Saints remove the Louisiana state outline from their jerseys? I know it hasn't been there since the Nike rebrand. Bad move on their part.
It was removed before the 2007 season

I

It was a patch to celebrate their return to the Supderdome/New Orleans after Katrina, right? It was worn for their first season back after bouncing from place to place in 2005.

bobby_hebert_blk.jpg

I liked the sleeve version better

White numbers pop better off black jersey

I like the larger helmet logo. The current one is tiny and it bugs me that it's so small.
I also like that it only has the white outline. I'm not a fan of the gold and white outline they're currently using.

Update:

R4ZnGt8.jpg

I still have the Cowboys and Jets helmets from these sets.

I got a Vikings helmet and jersey for Christmas in about 1975. It was No. 77, which I think was randomly assigned, since my friend's Colts jersey was No. 44 and I don't remember any 44 on the Colts in the mid 70s (at least not a noteworthy one). If memory serves me, neither jersey had stripes . . . just a solid color jersey with white numbers.

I was a Colts fan, so I always assumed I got a Vikings jersey and helmet because I loved the color purple (to the point of having a purple wagon). That or the Colts sets were out of stock . . . which is why I once got and blue-and-orange fuzzy football instead of a blue-and-white one (i.e., my mom figured at least it had blue in it).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I got a Vikings helmet and jersey for Christmas in about 1975. It was No. 77, which I think was randomly assigned, since my friend's Colts jersey was No. 44 and I don't remember any 44 on the Colts in the mid 70s (at least not a noteworthy one). If memory serves me, neither jersey had stripes . . . just a solid color jersey with white numbers.

I was a Colts fan, so I always assumed I got a Vikings jersey and helmet because I loved the color purple (to the point of having a purple wagon). That or the Colts sets were out of stock . . . which is why I once got and blue-and-orange fuzzy football instead of a blue-and-white one (i.e., my mom figured at least it had blue in it).

Gary Larsen played through 1974 and wore that number. He was one of (albeit the least renowned) the four "Purple People Eaters." I don't know whether the jersey # was because of him but it's conceivable.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Gary Larsen played through 1974 and wore that number. He was one of (albeit the least renowned) the four "Purple People Eaters." I don't know whether the jersey # was because of him but it's conceivable.

I thought of that and I may have received the present in 1974. I'm inclined to think it was a coincidence because I don't remember any Colts in 44 (and Pro Football Reference says there was no one between 1974-76).

Even if we go to 1977, I don't think Lyle Blackwood was worthy of the honor. :P

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

15f7dd7e1fcdd4f6038157d49b855c2d10c156e6

With the NFL's ridiculous One-Helmet Policy, I think the Thrift Store Gems Thread has found the Patriots' new alternate jersey.

It would be a decent choice for the Patriots under the circumstances if they ever decided to use this jersey again as an alternate.

^id like it, but it doesn't seem likely. They've just extended their era of monumental success that they've enjoyed in their current unis, so I doubt that they would want at all to commerate the unremarkable period that preceded their success. The only other reasons I could think for a throwback to happen would be if it was wildly popular with the fans (think the creamsicles), and Im pretty sure that everyday fans have forgotten about these for obvious reasons, or if it was very old (like the Acme Packers), and this was just a short lived relic of the 90's. Even if it's the only way to throwback within today's lame rules, I'd bet that the Pats would rather not have a throwback at all since the Pat Patriot jerseys are probably selling fine regardless of onfield use. Not to mention that the sublimated striping would come out horrendous with Nike's fabric paneling.

Archived