NBA Changes 2015-16 Season

Josh.0

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, phutmasterflex said:

You're blaming the Cavs on this? It's the Bulls who wore the specialty unis. 

I just figured as the home team they would wear their favorite yellow alternate. Either way that Bulls Pride uniform is super annoying. The design on the shorts is real nice but then you realize it's grey, effectively ruining the enjoyment. A Pride uniform for the Bulls seems real easy, just involve some Powder Dlue and Red, invoking the colors of the city flag and boom, there you go.

bSLCtu2.png

I don't think any uni changes are coming due to nike taking over the following season, most teams are just going to wait for that. I do have a friend who works at adidas  (just a retail store so not sure if even credible) who said Portland was going to change for next season but decided to hold off until Nike comes on. Is there anyone here who could confirm that? (Other than my prof. picture? Lol) I honestly don't really believe that since Lillard is team adidas.

No photo, but the NBA now lights up the line for three-point attempts during Saturday ABC prime time games. Tonight's Cavs/Spurs game is the first.

It's a subtle -- but noticeable -- effect. It's not as bad as the old Fox glowing puck, but I'm struggling with the utility of it. The first down line in football makes a lot of sense because the marker's only on the sidelines. In basketball, the three-point line is clearly marked. It's a cute effect, but I'm not sure what problem it's solving. 

EDIT: I missed it, but apparently LeBron started the game wearing the wrong yellow shorts. He changed during the first TV timeout. No footage of his wang (or at least not yet).

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

49 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

No photo, but the NBA now lights up the line for three-point attempts during Saturday ABC prime time games. Tonight's Cavs/Spurs game is the first.

It's a subtle -- but noticeable -- effect. It's not as bad as the old Fox glowing puck, but I'm struggling with the utility of it. The first down line in football makes a lot of sense because the marker's only on the sidelines. In basketball, the three-point line is clearly marked. It's a cute effect, but I'm not sure what problem it's solving. 

EDIT: I missed it, but apparently LeBron started the game wearing the wrong yellow shorts. He changed during the first TV timeout. No footage of his wang (or at least not yet).

Here's a visual:

3pt.0.gif

It doesn't serve much of a purpose, but it also doesn't make the broadcast unwatchable, so I'm fine with it.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

It lights up about a half-second after the player takes the shot. I find myself looking for the light-up line rather than watching the shot go in.

So now I'm firmly against it and it's the worst thing ever.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Yeah, feels like an effort to both play up the new super-importance of the three and follow the NFL in video-gaming the telecast. I get it, but don't like it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

6 hours ago, DG_Now said:

rbb1n6.jpg

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

From an article I read, the point of the light up 3-pt line is essentially to confirm that the shooter is behind the line. Shots from the near corner, where the player's feet are blocked by fans (e.g. Ray Allen's stepback in The Finals) and shots where the player's feet are very close to or on the line were cited as examples. So there's a use case, just not a very significant one. 

9 minutes ago, El Scorcho said:

I'd guess a lot of them don't, but nobody is looking at the ref.

This is an interesting feature that doesn't really get in the way.

I agree. It's a little much, but it doesn't hurt--which I guess makes it a success for ESPN/ABC Sports.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

5 hours ago, Shadojoker said:

A cool article by the Chicago Tribune ranking the NBA court designs. Smart people who did a good job voicing the same concerns as we do.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/ct-ranking-new-nba-court-designs-photos-photogallery.html

Golden State is ranked way too high imo, too much yellow on that court, not easy on the eyes. Needs more blue

10 hours ago, Shadojoker said:

A cool article by the Chicago Tribune ranking the NBA court designs. Smart people who did a good job voicing the same concerns as we do.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/ct-ranking-new-nba-court-designs-photos-photogallery.html

The Nets' court the best? The Rockets' clean court the worst?  Hard to say which is more absurd.  

That ridiculous wood pattern alone qualifies the Nets' floor for placement near the bottom of the league. And I am surprised that no one called out that team and the Wizards for using a secondary mark at centre court where the primary logo belongs, an error that is double egregious considering the fact that both teams' primary logos are far superior: the Nets' dignified sheild, and the Wizards' gorgeous new round logo. (I suppose that San Antonio is guilty of this, too; but their secondary logo is so elegant that they get a pass.)  

I didn't realise how great the Pelicans' court is; the use of the logo inside the three-point area makes me rank this court at the top.  The best use of colour goes to the Jazz, the Bucks, and the Pistons.  The floors which make the overall best presentations of the team's aesthetic while using few colours are those of the Warriors and the Lakers.

Finally, I wish that we'd see some criticism of the practice of making all lettering on the floor right-side-up only to one side of the arena, the side that the cameras shoot from.   The ideal floor would have text that appears right-side-up to people seated on both sides, such that the text along the "top" will appear upside-down to the camera.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Nets court is an easy choice for #1. Their court design really is the best part of their entire brand.

Hornets are obviously doing it right with the hive. Solid brand all around.

Miami Heat court will never get old. It just works and a classic look.

Too bad the Sixers don't play as well as their court looks.

Lakers are also doing it right, especially since the addition of the traditional script lakers at the baselines. Championship years around the logo is a nice look.

The Suns are ranked way too high. It's atrocious. This whole current brand is a disaster, disjointed, mishmash (but not as bad as *cringe* LAC, though their court is better).

I'd put them right after Houston. Houston is definitely the worst court in the league though. Looks like a practice court. I can't believe that logo has lasted 13 years.

I think sublimated patterns on all NBA courts are hot garbage. They all look like crap; Nuggets, Pelicans, Cavs..The only place I have ever really seen this work, is the originator:

oregon-court-900x400.jpg.3229150c9d4608b

Kings court looks confused. Mish mash of typefaces makes for ugly clutter. "Sacramento Proud" looks like an after thought, super cliche.

Wizards are my team since i was 9, but the ball-monument-roundel primary (with name) logo should be at center court. DC-hands logo at the corners. Certainly not worse than the Raptors court, theyve got that wrong. I'm still not (and likely will not ever) be a fan of the current Raptors brand.

What's with the love for the Bucks "Mecca" court?? It looks terrible. I know they are two M's at either end, but they mimic the look of a tuxedo or bowtie.
Not to mention I think they missed it with their logos this year. Color scheme, typeface and uniforms are okay, but implementation of them are not. None of the logos really make you ooh or ahh.

Archived