NBA Changes 2015-16 Season

Josh.0

15 hours ago, DriveCode4828384 said:

Buzz City does tie into Charlotte's history as being a hornet's nest of rebellion during the revolutionary war. The 'Queen City' moniker is often confused with Cincinnati, despite Charlotte being founded first, and having 'CLT' or 'The QC' on a jersey is less appealing. It was a marketing plan to bring back the Hornets to Charlotte, but it's not just pulled out of thin air either.

Well, wait a minute.  Sure, hornets imagery ties into the city's history -- and the team's name pays homage to that.  But that doesn't make "Buzz City" a thing. The latter is a corporate creation.  The Carolina Panthers may decide to dub Charlotte "the Panther's Den" (based on the notion that panthers once used to be native to the region), but that wouldn't make it a legit city nickname, either.  Do a Google News search for "Buzz City"; you won't find any references to the city of Charlotte before 2013 (when the rebrand was announced). 

Re: "Queen City":  I do agree that too many cities claim ownership of the moniker "Queen City" for it to be a distinctive city nickname on an NBA jersey. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_City

According to Wikipedia, Buffalo, Toronto, Denver, Cincinnati, and Seattle -- all cities with NBA history -- apparently lay claim to the nickname "Queen City." 

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, keynote said:

Well, wait a minute.  Sure, hornets imagery ties into the city's history -- and the team's name pays homage to that.  But that doesn't make "Buzz City" a thing. The latter is a corporate creation.  The Carolina Panthers may decide to dub Charlotte "the Panther's Den" (based on the notion that panthers once used to be native to the region), but that wouldn't make it a legit city nickname, either.  Do a Google News search for "Buzz City"; you won't find any references to the city of Charlotte before 2013 (when the rebrand was announced). 

Re: "Queen City":  I do agree that too many cities claim ownership of the moniker "Queen City" for it to be a distinctive city nickname on an NBA jersey. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_City

According to Wikipedia, Buffalo, Toronto, Denver, Cincinnati, and Seattle -- all cities with NBA history -- apparently lay claim to the nickname "Queen City." 

I don't think anyone assumes Buzz City has a long history in Charlotte. It does, however, have connections with the Bring Back The Buzz/We Beelieve movements that helped bring the name home. Of course, "Buzz City" was coined by the team and OBVIOUSLY they want to use it for selling merchandise....but it does in fact have connections with the fans and holds a presence in the city because of the last few years. 

Nicknames have to start somewhere. If people don't feel attached to it, it'll disappear. But for now it's sticking around.

23 hours ago, dont care said:

Bean town and Boston are used pretty interchangeably all across the country. Another nickname for Boston is "the hub (of the universe)" which explains the Bruins logo

I've never heard it called the hub outside of this message board.  Maybe it's a local thing but I can't imagine people in other cities calling it that.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

15 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I've never heard it called the hub outside of this message board.  Maybe it's a local thing but I can't imagine people in other cities calling it that.

You're correct I forgot to say it's not well known nationwide like bean town

9 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

Technically, The Queen City moniker had been used by many places. Heck, Toronto/York was known as the Queen City for a time.

Seattle was once known as Queen City as well.

3 hours ago, Noeltrebek said:

Found this on reddit seems legit. How did it look during the game while they were being worn? 

image.jpeg

Yeah, I noticed it during the game but it's much clearer on the seats as opposed to the fans. It kind of looked like a disconfigured red blob IMO. 

OT I notice a division banner has their new logo on it yet this is their first season in the new set. Did they edit an old banner or did they already raise a division banner for this season (which would be super early as most teams wait until the home opener to raise any banners)?

GO NETS.

1 minute ago, joshey said:

Yeah, I noticed it during the game but it's much clearer on the seats as opposed to the fans. It kind of looked like a disconfigured red blob IMO. 

OT I notice a division banner has their new logo on it yet this is their first season in the new set. Did they edit an old banner or did they already raise a division banner for this season (which would be super early as most teams wait until the home opener to raise any banners)?

Yes they did raise a banner for this year. There is a thread about it.

6 hours ago, DAKINS24 said:

Jays do the same thing, they raise the banners right before the first game of the post season.  It must be a Toronto thing.

No,the Cavs did it last year and I believe this year too.

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

12 hours ago, jrodsep said:

If the Hawks would lose the sublimation (and mix-and-match) they would have very serviceable uniforms. 

I think they just need to get rid of the ugly volt color and bring back the classic ylw. The sublimation has grown on me. 

GO NETS.

2 hours ago, joshey said:

I think they just need to get rid of the ugly volt color and bring back the classic ylw. The sublimation has grown on me. 

I like the sublimation and the volt. My biggest critique is with the home uniforms. The volt numbers are very hard to make out on tv. Easy fix would be to make them red. 

Falcons. UGA. Hawks. Braves. Tottenham Hotspur. Atlanta United

4 hours ago, joshey said:

I say this as one who has no problem with the volt color and the (once-in-a-blue-moon, red-over-gray) mix-and-match, but...

The biggest thing I have about the sublimation is that it covers the entire jersey, and yet is only found on the side of the shorts. Either go all out with it, everywhere, relegate it to a side panel continuation on the jersey, or put it everywhere but said side panel--I don't care. Just keep it consistent between the jersey and the shorts.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Archived