NBA Changes 2015-16 Season

Josh.0

I Blame Jay-Z. Once you open up Pandora's box and have amateurs designing logos to relative acclaim, you're going to have an influx of this until someone messes up so bad, that it's etched in stone as a cautionary tale.

(I know this isn't maybe the FIRST time a celebrity was involved, but Flo-Jo was an aspiring designer and had visionary track outfits, so I don't think she counts in terms of designing the 90's Pacer uniforms they just brought back this year.)

I'm hoping Steve Ballmer or his idiot nephew sketched this baby up or something. Because this is godawful, if it's true. Totally looks like a first draft that made it from a napkin to approval. That sort of thing only happens if it's the bosses idea.

Hopefully we can speed up this market correction so teams let the professionals do this kind of work. It is after all, what we get paid to do. I'm not designing software or spitting bars on Kanye's new mixtape.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The LAC (CAL?) logo is passable in limited applications, but the overall OKC-inspired look is dreadful. Deadspin calls it "butt" and that seems pretty fair.

All it needs are some fins to lower wind resistance. Good lord that's bad.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I don't like the inclusion of black (I didn't like it when the Sixers did it, either), and the monogram-in-basketball logos look lazy. But, the "LAC" monogram by itself would look pretty nice by itself on a cap (provided that the cap isn't black).

Yeah, I actually kind of like the monogram logo. Do I want to see it centered on the chest of a black jersey? Absolutely not. But I could see it on the bottom of some shorts and I think it would looks pretty good.

I'm going to disregard the uniform comp entirely at this point, and hope that whatever came after that initial design was improved upon.

Anything that moves them away from a Lakers clone is a good move, in my opinion, though I would argue that introducing black contradicts that.

Further proof that the wolves are changing, their secondary logo is now the "hardwood club" logo, and that logo is dark blue and white now.

I'm convinced that'll be the new color scheme, with some gray and black too.

I spoke with my "source" in the organization and he confirmed the blue is indeed changing. I am thrilled to hear confirmation on this because the old blue was terrible. I wish they would increase the use of gray as well given that wolves are indeed gray. Still holding out some hope for that.

Unfortunately it was also confirmed that there will be no new uniforms, and the block font will likely only be used on the practice court. Apparently the practice court has its "own unique branding." That said, the change in color is definitely a step in the right direction to start the de-cartoonification of the Wolves brand.

Circular logo in place of a standard wordmark across the chest? Another team already does that.

And for the other one shown, if they go this route, having the log and number be the exact same size looks odd. Well, I hope that these are just speculation or something from the drawing board that would get scrapped because both these look terrible.

aauPBzB.png

Go A's!

Anything that moves them away from a Lakers clone is a good move

No, because I'd rather look like a Lakers clone than an early-'90s educational video for fifth graders. That thing looks like it's about to tell me to stay away from drugs and stay in school.

This pic from @MinnesotaMunn is from the Timberwolves new practice facility. I'm not sure if this change means anything since the shade of blue is close to the Mayo Clinic's logo, which the facility is named after. It reminds me of the OKC alternative uniforms or UCONN. Personally, I would like to see them incorporate the kelly green from the inaugural set if they're planning a rebrand.

CCvmu7aUUAAZVt9.jpg

Maybe the Timberwolves are dropping black and the Clippers are picking it right up? Looks like Navy, Tealish/Maybe their same shade of blue, Silver, and White to me. Almost everything on their website is colored like that and this logo is hosted on some nba website. Never seen it colored like this, but maybe this is just from some old promo or something.

myaccount-mobile-logo-150121.png

Wolves: The Uni-Watch article confirmed from the Wolves that the practice court design has nothing to do with a change for the team. All the courts in the building (Wolves, Lynx, general use) will have that same blue color and typeface.

Clippers: I don't mind that LAC logo as a secondary. Will have to see the primary with the "Clippers" script to make a full judgment on the logos. The addition of black is dumb. There's no way those will be the uniforms...I hope...

I have confirmed with someone in the organization that the shade of blue is being tweaked. The block lettering is likely only for the practice court which "has its own unique branding." Also there will be no new uniforms this years.

I doubt kelly green will be making any comeback as if was taken off the uniforms years ago and then logo with the green trees is beginning to be phased out.

I agree the look its too Mavericksy and generic, but the Wolves are in desperate need of a more classy / grown-up branding. This is a step in the right direction.

Archived