NBA Changes 2015-16 Season

Josh.0

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After taking a look at all the Hawk's new stuff officially unveiled, The winged "A" logo just seems out of place with the roundel. The "Pac" logo is crisp and clean, with a few flowing lines. The winged logo is too bloated and wonky. Crisp up the wings, straighten a line here and there, and it would all fit together.

I'm content with the Hawks having such a bad secondary logo because my gut feeling is between the partial pac logo used the past year, the new roundel and the "Atlanta snitch," the latter won't become a major part of the identity -- just produced to meet the NBA's stupid requirement.

Something else is worrying me though. Somebody inform me on this: Somebody over on Reddit said the NBA is pushing for these roundel, compact primary logos because the NBA will not only put ads on jerseys, but down the road will put the ads front and center, across the chest, and leave the logos on the collarbone, much like soccer jerseys.

Somebody please tell me that's nto true.

^ nothing of that sort is certain, but it's certainly a possibility, esp with the WNBA doing just that:

464690995_Lynx_Mayo_Sherman_321.jpg

I'd imagine we'll definitely be seeing the 2x2 inch ads on the right or left collar area within 2-3 years. Then, we'll see ads below the #s on the back of the uni, then finally we'll see large ads on the front where the wordmarks currently are. That's probably at least 5 years away though, if at all.

The WNBA is a fringe league which needs every cent to survive, even with being tied to NBA coffers. You can't judge anything they NBA might do based off WNBA advertising. The NBA will do exactly what the fans allow it to. I don't think that their master plan is to make teams have secondary roundrels they never use, only to make them the only actual team insignia on jerseys in a few years. However, the 2" x 2" patch will probably eventually devolve to crap pictured above if the fans don't fight back. If dopes buy red and yellow Microsoft jerseys just because they have "James 23" on the back, the NBA will gladly run with it. However, if fans storm the castle with torches, or alternatively just don't buy jerseys, the practice will be curtailed.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Pardon me if this has already been answered, but why does the Flying Ball logo get cut off where presumably a tail of some sort should be?

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The WNBA is a fringe league which needs every cent to survive, even with being tied to NBA coffers. You can't judge anything they NBA might do based off WNBA advertising. The NBA will do exactly what the fans allow it to. I don't think that their master plan is to make teams have secondary roundrels they never use, only to make them the only actual team insignia on jerseys in a few years. However, the 2" x 2" patch will probably eventually devolve to crap pictured above if the fans don't fight back. If dopes buy red and yellow Microsoft jerseys just because they have "James 23" on the back, the NBA will gladly run with it. However, if fans storm the castle with torches, or alternatively just don't buy jerseys, the practice will be curtailed.

If fans don't buy jerseys, the NBA will just put more ads onto them. They'll make money either way.

If fans don't buy jerseys, the NBA will just put more ads onto them. They'll make money either way.

I'm not sure about that. NBA jersey sales are the lowest of the four major American sports, but they're still huge money. I believe it was said that the top NBA franchises could get over $5 mil annually for jersey ads. You don't think they sell more than $5 mil a year worth of Kobe or Lebron jerseys?

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I'm very excited and surprisingly very optimistic for these new Hawks uniforms. There's been a little too much of a plain Jane trend in the NBA these days, something unique and over the top might be refreshing.

THIS.

So much this.

Jaguars

I'm not sure about that. NBA jersey sales are the lowest of the four major American sports, but they're still huge money. I believe it was said that the top NBA franchises could get over $5 mil annually for jersey ads. You don't think they sell more than $5 mil a year worth of Kobe or Lebron jerseys?

What I was trying to get at was, if fans stop buying jerseys because of ads, the NBA will add more ads to try and make-up the money. It's a no win situation.

I'm very excited and surprisingly very optimistic for these new Hawks uniforms. There's been a little too much of a plain Jane trend in the NBA these days, something unique and over the top might be refreshing.

THIS.

So much this.

Exactly!! SUNS HORNETS PELICANS..etc..too many new uniforms are going the simple route when their identity screams personality.

It's like if Kate Upton wears Glasses and a buttoned shirt and a ponytail when she could be rocking a V-Neck neck with her hair out.(Game of War ads are all over..couldn't help it)

Other words..Good for ATL for taking a risk.

shado_logo.gif

What I was trying to get at was, if fans stop buying jerseys because of ads, the NBA will add more ads to try and make-up the money. It's a no win situation.

I'm not sure this is 100% true. The NBA can charge more for one ad with prime placement than shared ads. Microsoft may pay two or three times the market price if it meant not sharing space with Jack-in-the-Box (or more companies) on a Cavaliers jersey.

If there's no or very limited demand for jerseys with one ad, the NBA would be ill-advised to try adding more ads.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I understand what you're saying. But the more ads you put on, the less money you'll get from each subsequent ad. In fact, the initial ad would then pay less than before. If Microsoft paid $X to have prime jersey real estate, and now there's a McDonald's ad right near it, Microsoft is going to be pissed. Plus, if fans were to ever turn against jersey buying because of the ads, then presumably proportionately fewer jerseys would sell with each ad placed.

I honestly think that if the NBA put ads on jerseys and sold half as many that season, they'd be off the next year. But in general we're just as dumb as Europeans, and since soccer fans have been happy to eat big plates full of crap, I'm sure there won't be any substantial outcry from anyone once they start adding advertisements. People will just buy a purple Samsung Kobe jersey and be happy about it. I've said before that I will honestly stop watching the NBA when that day comes, but I'm not a huge fan to begin with. Most people will grumble about it and resume watching.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

THIS.

So much this.

Exactly!! SUNS HORNETS PELICANS..etc..too many new uniforms are going the simple route when their identity screams personality.

It's like if Kate Upton wears Glasses and a buttoned shirt and a ponytail when she could be rocking a V-Neck neck with her hair out.(Game of War ads are all over..couldn't help it)

Other words..Good for ATL for taking a risk.

I actually think the Suns and Hornets did a good job of shaking things up the right amount. Maybe that just goes to show how conservative a lot of recent uniforms have been in comparison though...

The problem isn't conservative jerseys. The problem is stripped-down and boring modern jerseys. The Sixers tried to mimic their '80s set, but instead of wearing what worked before, they came out with awful collars, single-color wordmarks and numbers, and random blotches of color under the arms. The Suns tried mimicking a non-traditional '90s set, but instead of going back to what worked, they removed the actual sun, went with a horrible collar, no trim on the arms, and random dashes on the sides. The Hornets, likewise, went with boring-ass single color numbers at the expense of legibility, no arm trim and stripes on only one side which arbitrarily run into a block of color.

The Nets and Cavaliers, Jazz and Knicks are the only recent teams which actually went with conservative, traditional basketball uniforms. The Nets and Cavs' unis suck because of the two color, the fonts they chose and contrived faux retroness. The Knicks unis suck because of the condensed wordmark and Adidas treatment on the arm trim. The Jazz unis suck largely because they're in navy which shouldn't ever be a team color.

It's possible to put out an inspired, modern basketball uniform in a traditional template (i.e. rounded neck, patterned trim on neck and arms, outlines). The Suns did it in 1992. It's also possible to just bring back a classic jersey as it appeared in 1983 and not people say ZOMG DATED!

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I think there's a big difference between soccer ads and the WNBA ads. With soccer, so much emphasis is placed on the colors and striping patterns. The heart of the team is still there. You know when you see the red and blue stripes that it's Barca. The red shirt and white shorts combo with black socks...that's Manchester United. There's more flexibility in the color and pattern of each garment to make them unique whereas basketball tops always match the shorts. The only distinct design in basketball is usually on the sides. If basketball is going with ads, a small upper chest patch is the best option.

I think the Rockets current primary could benefit more than any other team in a roundel look.

Would be very cool to see someone do concepts for an entire NBA roundel set. I'm all for the soccer club look.

I know the NBA is trying to grow its brand internationally, but designing all the logos to look like soccer roundels seems like the wrong approach to me. When I see a roundel, I think soccer, not basketball.

Though I guess with all the flopping that goes on in the modern game, it's kind of hard to tell... amirite?!

Archived