2015 NCAA Football Thread

DarkJourney

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It'll be an interesting battle for the starting QB spot. Adams will be at a disadvantage because of having to wait until June but if he's as smart and talented as everyone says he is, then he should be fine. I think it's almost a guarantee that at least one QB will move positions (likely Griffin) and possibly another transfers but with how injuries can decimate a position or someone doesn't perform, it may not be a smart move to do it right away.

• 2 months later...

A little bit of news for those of you that follow Division 1 FCS. Starting this upcoming season the MEAC will no longer have an automatic bid in the FCS Playoffs. The MEAC champ will go on to play the SWAC champ in the Celebration Bowl at the Georgia Dome.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

That's a shame. The MEAC teams, while they rarely won in the playoffs, always brought great crowds to Boone. But I guess they will make more money in that "bowl" game than they would in a playoff.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

Still possible for a team out of the MEAC to get an at-large bid in the playoffs, just not the conference champion. Same with the SWAC. All but 3 SWAC schools are eligible for an at-large bid if they have a good enough record.

That's a shame. The MEAC teams, while they rarely won in the playoffs, always brought great crowds to Boone. But I guess they will make more money in that "bowl" game than they would in a playoff.

FCS playoffs do not have a revenue pool to share. If you are the road team, most of your expenses are covered, but not all.

HBCU are going to take the hard cash from ESPN with the participating schools responsible for only $200K in ticket sales. ESPN and game sponsors are also taking care for travel and lodging for school bands too.

As a fan of HBCU football I'll watch the Celebration Bowl, but it is disappointing that likelihood of an HBCU winning the FCS Championship has greatly decreased.

Ah well. Still have the CIAA and SIAC in Division II. The D2 HBCUs have done way better in the playoffs than their FCS counterparts in the last couple of years.

HBCU's don't make money. The only way they do is by traveling to classics and having their rooms and travel comped. Grambling pays a pittance compared to other 1-AA schools and most HBCU's are in the same ballpark as far as funding. ESPN wanted another game to fill a time slot and bringing back the Heritage bowl with a new name and location made the most sense for them.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I really don't understand them not being in the playoffs. Winning a National Championship has to be more impressive than Celebration Bowl champion

HBCU's don't make money. The only way they do is by traveling to classics and having their rooms and travel comped. Grambling pays a pittance compared to other 1-AA schools and most HBCU's are in the same ballpark as far as funding. ESPN wanted another game to fill a time slot and bringing back the Heritage bowl with a new name and location made the most sense for them.

MJWalker, has it right.

HBCUs are really strapped for cash (see the Grambling football boycott of 2013).

While the Heritage Bowl is essentially a "test case" this year, it will provide each member school with at least $80K in cash and when the FCS playoffs end up costing athletic departments money for participating, cash rules.

Plus, look at it this way. If you play in the SWAC or MEAC title game AND the Heritage Bowl, you are on an ESPN Network twice in three weeks and getting paid for it. When televised FCS playoff games are basically recruiting tools/infomercials, take the money and still get airtime.

Most of the Division 1 HBCUs would be better off financially moving down to Division 2. I've been led to believe that ego is the primary reason those schools choose to continue struggling in Division 1, despite the fact that every D1 HBCU was in D2 at one point in their programs history *shrugs*

With that said, I'm not sure of the financial situations of the HBCU programs in Division 2. I've been following the CIAA & SIAC since 1999, but the only program I've heard about having any sort of financial troubles was St. Paul's College in Virginia. However that entire school had issues & eventually shut down some years ago.

• 1 month later...

165px-FSU_Seminoles_logo.png

Golson.

I'm pretty happy about this. I didn't like Florida being in the mix. 85 teams had less turnovers than Everett Golson last season (although he threw less INT's than Winston).

IUe6Hvh.png

I'm sure his NFL aspirations were the deciding factors here yes? To go to a program where the latest #1 pick played, with several prime games scheduled, & a capable coaching staff.

Probably. Florida's issues at offensive line didn't help their case in trying to snag him, but like I said, I'm pretty happy about it.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived