Lion Concept Logo

dsaline97

Some of you may remember I made a thread a while back with a logo concept for my high school. I felt the direction I went with this version was different enough to warrant its own thread.

I want to get some professional eyes on this one, since I'm seriously considering calling up the school with this: Updated below

lGuXUL1.png

(Click to enlarge)

Here's the Behance with (most of) the rest of the project:

https://www.behance.net/gallery/23664451/Lutheran-High-School (This was all from version one so its pretty outdated)

As you can see, I went with a mountain lion approach, as that's something our school is more or less synonymous with. The lightning bolt on the back of the neck is a nod to our school's old nickname, the Denver Lutheran Lights; I want to keep that there for sure.

I'm really trying to separate this from the University of Houston's cougar logo, so any help in that area will be greatly appreciated. Also, I'm not sure what to do with the eye at this point either. C&C is welcome!

spacer.png

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly believe that this is very well done, given the information. Could you post the old logo for comparison purposes?

Here's the previous concept, is that what you're thinking?

LionSplitv1_zps7aa1363e.png

As you can see, not really much to compare here.

spacer.png

I like it a lot. It's a great mountain lion design overall and I could totally see a high school going with this. One minor complaint would be the logo on purple - the black outline on purple background does not work as it sort of just blends in. One idea would be to use a grey outline and a purple mountain lion. As for similarities between Houston, you've got it somewhat different enough, but it could use a little more work. I don't know what you'd change since it looks great already, but maybe you could try thickening the lower jaw a tad? Maybe have it included with an L for the high school name, as in having it come from behind it? I'm really not sure, it's tough to think of critiques for this one. Very nice work.

spacer.png

Drink water and try to have fun!

I like it a lot. It's a great mountain lion design overall and I could totally see a high school going with this. One minor complaint would be the logo on purple - the black outline on purple background does not work as it sort of just blends in. One idea would be to use a grey outline and a purple mountain lion. As for similarities between Houston, you've got it somewhat different enough, but it could use a little more work. I don't know what you'd change since it looks great already, but maybe you could try thickening the lower jaw a tad? Maybe have it included with an L for the high school name, as in having it come from behind it? I'm really not sure, it's tough to think of critiques for this one. Very nice work.

I tried switching the colors and it really didn't turn out that well. I'll work on these suggestions, though.

Here's the Behance I'm working on, hopefully this will spark up some interest with this project:

https://www.behance.net/gallery/23664451/Lutheran-High-School

spacer.png

I like how you've incorporated the designs onto the fields and such. The font looks good too, reminds me of Lipscomb's logo. Couple of critiques - not sure how I feel about the use of Lions and Lutheran on opposite sides of the field. To me it feels like it's unbalanced. It's less of an issue on the football field, and even less on the baseball diamond, but for the basketball court I don't like it. I'd either stick with one or the other or use both on both sides. The only other thing I would change would be to see how the font looks unitallicized or bolder. Not sure how that'd turn out but it's worth a shot. Keep up the good work.

spacer.png

Drink water and try to have fun!

I like how you've incorporated the designs onto the fields and such. The font looks good too, reminds me of Lipscomb's logo. Couple of critiques - not sure how I feel about the use of Lions and Lutheran on opposite sides of the field. To me it feels like it's unbalanced. It's less of an issue on the football field, and even less on the baseball diamond, but for the basketball court I don't like it. I'd either stick with one or the other or use both on both sides. The only other thing I would change would be to see how the font looks unitallicized or bolder. Not sure how that'd turn out but it's worth a shot. Keep up the good work.

I sorta like the unbalanced idea, but I see where you're coming from. To be honest, I'm not totally in line with court design. I could put LUTHERAN LIONS on both the right and left side, that may solve it. As for the font, I went with italicizes and less bold to separate it from Michigan State, so that's the reason there.

spacer.png

Instead of switching colors, you just need an outline in either white or silver when the logo is put on a purple or black background.

award%20sig.png

Instead of switching colors, you just need an outline in either white or silver when the logo is put on a purple or black background.

Good call. I didn't like the idea at first, but after having worked with it, I liked what I came up with. With that said, here's the first update. I thickened the lower jaw a tad and added the outline for contrast. It's not reflected in the Behance yet, I'll have to do that later (Click to expand):

vFaZsFQ.png

Here's a version where the white has an outline as well. I'm honestly torn between the two options:

i7bojki.png

What do you think? Also, I'm still not sold on the eye, any help with that would be very appreciated.

spacer.png

I'm such a sucker for these behance projects. I think it looks great and I actually kinda like the unbalanced look? And if I see what continuity you're trying to put here its good for the court and field to match.

Thanks! These projects are always a lot of fun to put together, and it's nice to see others' work outside of the boards. Yeah, my main reason against changing the court is because of the football field. I really would like if they both matched.

The eye feels like its too far up on the head.

Done and noted. I'll release an update soon. This next version will show the logo on all four backgrounds (white, silver, purple, black). Also, I'm thinking about a recolored throwback edition in navy and gold for Denver Lutheran.

C&C please, I'd really appreciate anything you've got for this!

spacer.png

2 suggestions now that I look at it again. I agree about they eye. You might be able to fix it by moving the eye and the ear to the left. Second, what would it look like if you flip the lightning bolt vertically. Good work overall.

I know this is not the most helpful bit of C&C, but that doesn't really look like a mountain lion yet. The forehead/snout/jaw are just looks off. Do you have any reference images you used? I just looked through a bunch of mountain lion pictures but it was hard to find a good side profile picture. I like the idea of the logo and your presentation is very good looking. I'd just try and keep working out the shape. Especially the nose which seems to come to a point more than a real mountain lions does.

Edit: Here's a decent, but small, picture

14967464607_62d4023d58_m.jpg

I know this is not the most helpful bit of C&C, but that doesn't really look like a mountain lion yet. The forehead/snout/jaw are just looks off. Do you have any reference images you used? I just looked through a bunch of mountain lion pictures but it was hard to find a good side profile picture. I like the idea of the logo and your presentation is very good looking. I'd just try and keep working out the shape. Especially the nose which seems to come to a point more than a real mountain lions does.

Edit: Here's a decent, but small, picture

14967464607_62d4023d58_m.jpg

Are you talking about the upper jaw or lower jaw? I agree, I'm not sure what to do as far as the nose is concerned but if I were to try anything rounded, like that picture, to me it seems like it wouldn't fit with the rest of the logo.

Heres the promised update. I'll let you be the judge if that fixes the jaw part of the logo or any other issues:

jZCX1FO.png

spacer.png

The thing about the jaw is, in the picture of the real lion you see how the jaw doesn't really come to a point but yours does. It makes the whole mouth part look off to me. That and the fact that there aren't really prominent teeth. It kind of looks like a lion that lost its dentures lol. I get you're going for a very "sharp" feel to the logo and thats why you're making it so angular but maybe this overlay will illustrate what I'm trying to say about the nose and the mouth.

jXdXKfA.jpg

So I played with the nose and mouth today and I think I've made huge improvements here. I pulled the bottom jaw down so it looked like more of an open mouth, and I followed that reference photo and made the back of the mouth round rather than angular. I tried rounding out the bottom jaw, but to me it looked like it lost a lot of character, so I stuck with what I have.

26nuVXX.png

Sorry its only two colors this time. I think this version may be it. C&C still appreciated!

spacer.png

Archived