Top 5 WORST Sports Teams Nicknames

KillerSox

Pardon me, that's REDBLACKS to you.

I can deal with Lightning, but I think "Tampa Bay Thunderbolts" would have been even better. It's alliterative, it shortens to "Bolts," and "thunderbolt" sounds more poetic than "lightning bolt." It also could have precluded the existence of the Oklahoma City Thunder, the true winner of this thread.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a personal beef with team names that are "concepts" instead of just normal, plural nouns. Among the big sports in North America:

• NBA gets a 27/30 (90%) grade. Heat, Magic and Jazz buck the trend. Was Karl Malone a chord? Gm7? LeBron, Bosh and Wade were all degrees?

This comes up often enough, that it's time someone set you all straight. An individual member of the Utah Jazz, as coined by the late Hot Rod Hundley, is a "Jazzman." Personally, I like the dual implication that the word could be for a musician or an athlete.

Anyhoo, see for yourself.

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

<p>

I have a personal beef with team names that are "concepts" instead of just normal, plural nouns. Among the big sports in North America:

• NBA gets a 27/30 (90%) grade. Heat, Magic and Jazz buck the trend. Was Karl Malone a chord? Gm7? LeBron, Bosh and Wade were all degrees?

This comes up often enough, that it's time someone set you all straight. An individual member of the Utah Jazz, as coined by the late Hot Rod Hundley, is a "Jazzman." Personally, I like the dual implication that the word could be for a musician or an athlete.

Anyhoo, see for yourself.

If you play for the Magic, you are a Magician. Plain and simple.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

I picked the following based on the nicknames not having a strong connection with their host cities, or just that the nickname, imo, sounds ridiculous:

MLB: Atlanta Braves, Chicago Cubs, Chicago White Sox, Cleveland Indians, Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, Los Angeles Dodgers, Oakland Athletics, Pittsburgh Pirates, San Francisco Giants

MLS: Houston Dynamo, Minnesota United FC, Montreal Impact, New York Red Bulls, Real Salt Lake, Sporting Kansas City

NBA: Atlanta Hawks, Brooklyn Nets, Cleveland Cavaliers, Dallas Mavericks, Golden State Warriors, Los Angeles Lakers, Memphis Grizzlies, New Orleans Pelicans, Sacramento Kings, Toronto Raptors, Utah Jazz, Washington Wizards

NFL: Buffalo Bills, Chicago Bears, Cleveland Browns, Detroit Lions, Houston Texans, Oakland Raiders, San Diego Chargers, St. Louis Rams, Washington Redskins

NHL: Boston Bruins, Buffalo Sabres, Calgary Flames, Los Angeles Kings, Minnesota Wild, New York Rangers, Philadelphia Flyers

I picked the following based on the nicknames not having a strong connection with their host cities, or just that the nickname, imo, sounds ridiculous:

MLB: Atlanta Braves, Chicago Cubs, Chicago White Sox, Cleveland Indians, Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, Los Angeles Dodgers, Oakland Athletics, Pittsburgh Pirates, San Francisco Giants

MLS: Houston Dynamo, Minnesota United FC, Montreal Impact, New York Red Bulls, Real Salt Lake, Sporting Kansas City

NBA: Atlanta Hawks, Brooklyn Nets, Cleveland Cavaliers, Dallas Mavericks, Golden State Warriors, Los Angeles Lakers, Memphis Grizzlies, New Orleans Pelicans, Sacramento Kings, Toronto Raptors, Utah Jazz, Washington Wizards

NFL: Buffalo Bills, Chicago Bears, Cleveland Browns, Detroit Lions, Houston Texans, Oakland Raiders, San Diego Chargers, St. Louis Rams, Washington Redskins

NHL: Boston Bruins, Buffalo Sabres, Calgary Flames, Los Angeles Kings, Minnesota Wild, New York Rangers, Philadelphia Flyers

Boston Celtics were named after the New York Celtics, a giant in pre-WWII professional basketball.

Pelicans nickname was entrenched in New Orleans sports since the 1800s, with numerous minor league baseball teams using the bird.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Real Salt Lake. Bugs the hell outta me. Salt Lake Monarchs is a much better name in my opinion.

It annoys me that they named their minor league team the Real Salt Lake Monarchs. I'd prefer if they changed to Salt Lake Royals. They wouldn't even need to change their primary logo.

Boston Celtics were named after the New York Celtics, a giant in pre-WWII professional basketball.

Pelicans nickname was entrenched in New Orleans sports since the 1800s, with numerous minor league baseball teams using the bird.

Celtics, I wasn't aware of that name history.

You're right about the Pelicans. And that is why I don't like the name. It sounds like a minor league name.

Pianoknight, the Lightning were named due to the fact that the Tampa Bay area is the lightning capital of the world....

You may not like the singular name, but at least is has local significance.

Which is why it works.

Also Avalanche, is a great singular name. I couldn't think of a more perfect name for a team playing ice hockey in Denver... In fact, their whole identity was pretty much flawless until RBK ruined it as only RBK can.

Pianoknight, the Lightning were named due to the fact that the Tampa Bay area is the lightning capital of the world....

You may not like the singular name, but at least is has local significance.

Which is why it works.

Also Avalanche, is a great singular name. I couldn't think of a more perfect name for a team playing ice hockey in Denver... In fact, their whole identity was pretty much flawless until RBK ruined it as only RBK can.

I like it, too, even when it was an indoor soccer team

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

I can't stand the common name Wildcats. They don't even pick which kind of cat to be. And so many college teams have that name. It's ridiculous.

I can agree with this. It's very generic. It could essentially be a feral cat which is just non-domesticated household cat.
wildcats are some the most brutal animals, dangerous too, they could have rabies, feline AIDS.... just one scratch from one and you could be a goner, i would be carefull with dissing wildcats and cats in general

The Pittsburgh Pirates earned their nickname from stealing players who were under contract to other teams early in their history.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

Archived