MSU Brigade -- Mascot Head Logo Update and Running Mascot

MDGP

A few years ago, I posted a concept design for a fictional team I called the Eliot Brigade. Since, this team has become a sort of pet project of mine, and I've spent time off and on crafting different identities for the team (it even made an appearance in the American Soccer Federation). I'm back now with an updated name, Maine State, and identity, featuring a deeper history, and updated logos and uniforms.

The project can be found at the link below (due to the size of the image itself and my lack of photobucket bandwidth, I just decided to host it on behance).

https://www.behance.net/gallery/23703095/Maine-State-University-Brigade

The main idea of the identity was to combine aspects of numerous other college football teams and their design evolution. I was specifically inspired by TCU, Ohio State's alternates, and the service academy pro combat uniforms.

I hope you enjoy, and I look forward to your C+C!

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

This is very well made, I love the history and the uniforms, not sold on the logos. The primary cannon is okay, I'm not entirely sure what I don't like about it, but I don't think it's a super strong identity. I actually really like the logo on the throwback, I think that could make a nice primary if you worked with it. On the secondary, I don't like the multicolored letters, I think it would look better if they were all the same color with the other colors added in as borders. Have you considered what conference this team would play in?

CottonBowl_zpsc664d73a.png

4vAzk2u.png

Star championship signature credit to packerfan21396

Thanks for the comments so far, guys!

This is very well made, I love the history and the uniforms, not sold on the logos. The primary cannon is okay, I'm not entirely sure what I don't like about it, but I don't think it's a super strong identity. I actually really like the logo on the throwback, I think that could make a nice primary if you worked with it. On the secondary, I don't like the multicolored letters, I think it would look better if they were all the same color with the other colors added in as borders. Have you considered what conference this team would play in?

Primary: I do see what you mean about the primary. While I like it, I do feel like there is something that I haven't done that could push it over the top, though I've been having a bit of trouble figuring out what exactly. If anyone has any ideas, definitely throw them out there.

Secondary: Surprisingly, this was a dilemma I dealt with more than any other part of the project. I originally did have the letters the way you suggested, but changed it for the purpose of consistency. None of the letters throughout the entire team's identity utilize outlines, and I found that using the MSU monogram with outlines clashed with the other letters, which was visually unappealing. Then, I found that a single color monogram, mimicking the black letters on the jersey, was extremely bland. The main problem was that a color was missing from each possible background, so I made the monograms multicolored.

Conference: Ideally, the Brigade are in a fictional Northeast Conference (with the real northeast conference being named something else) with 14 teams from Maine, NH, Vermont, Massachusetts (3), Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York (2), New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Ohio (2). I'd like to do this entire series, though I probably don't have the time to do the other 13... At least not with the same level of depth as this one. (In real life, they'd probably be an ACC team).

Once again, thanks for the C+C so far, if you've got any ideas, send them my way!

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

• 6 months later...

So, as a part of this project, I've been attempting to create a full university identity, which means full university branding, logos, seals, advertising, etc. This has been a rather slow process due to school and interning, but I've come up with two logos in the process.

First, the school seal. Colleges generally have a school seal that differs from the athletic logo and the academic logo that identifies with the University and surrounding area. For Maine State's school seal, I wanted to represent what I would consider the three most important parts of the state. First, the focal point of the seal is a pine tree, which represents the vast forests of Maine. Leaning upon the tree is an anchor, which obviously represents the shipping and fishing industries. Finally, the tree and anchor sit on a tilled field, representing the important farming industry (potatoes specifically come to mind). The roundel is a rope, which represents industry and manual labor that encompasses all three. Above the tree are the latin words, "Pro Virtus Operam," which translates to the school's motto, "For Valor" harkening to the University's military roots. The roundel also feature's the school name and 1844, the school's founding year.

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-20%20at%209.50.0

Second is the Joshua Chamberlain mascot head logo. The idea behind this logo is that the school, in embracing its history and at the request of fans, decided to bring back a modernized version of a vintage logo. The design is based upon this image of Joshua Chamberlain and edited in order to be more logoized. I initially wanted to have this be chamberlain riding a horse, but for now, I've only worked on the head, and was hoping for C+C.

I don't know why, but something just seems off, and I can't put my finger on it. For now, I'm aware of the issue with the collar (where it separates) and the inconsistent line work around the lapel. Does anyone have any ideas about how I might be able to clean it up, and make it look perfect?

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-20%20at%209.48.3

Also, I ask this because I do plan to work on a body. Does anybody have any good tips or techniques for drawing a body in logo form? I've always struggled immensely, and efforts using this head have proven futile. If anyone has any advice that they know of, I'd really appreciate it.

That's all for now, I'm continuing to polish the entire identity, and even though you haven't seen the results yet, I really appreciate all the C+C you guys have given me.

One way to deal with the open collar is a white undershirt or an undone bow tie.

Thanks, MJ. Sorry I didn't get around to acknowledging this sooner. I decided to try to go with your suggestion of the white undershirt (I avoided the tie because of the inconsistency of wearing it with a military uniform. However, as I tested, I really couldn't get it to work, which led me to go with a more closed collar, which, in my opinion, seemed to fix the issue. So while your suggestion didn't make it into the newest update, you were very helpful in getting me to the current update, so thanks a bunch there.

This update is a overhaul of the body portion of the logo. The collar is fixed to be a bit more realistic and add better depth, the line width is increased to an some dynamicism and consistency, and the buttons were moved down to the chest, where button would actually be seen on a real Civil War uniform.

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-27%20at%202.37.1

As noted previously, I wanted to make a version of the logo where Chamberlain was riding a horse while carrying a football. Well, that didn't work out. However, the draft I was planning did lead me to developing a vintage running mascot style logo, which is shown below.

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-27%20at%202.37.0

The composition of it is pretty straight forward, though I'm really not sure about the boots. I feel like I want to do something different, maybe make them a bit more realistic, but I'm not quite sure how to go about it. As always, C+C is greatly appreciated, and even if it doesn't show up in a draft I show here, I almost always take every comment into account as I work.

Perhaps if you bent the right leg a little more at the knee and bent the right foot/boot to give the impression that he's pushing off the ground in mid-stride, it might ad a bit of that dynamism it's currently missing. Right now, it looks almost like he's suspended in midair on the falling-half of a jump.

Perhaps if you bent the right leg a little more at the knee and bent the right foot/boot to give the impression that he's pushing off the ground in mid-stride, it might ad a bit of that dynamism it's currently missing. Right now, it looks almost like he's suspended in midair on the falling-half of a jump.

Something like this? (Sorry it's a bit messy, I just wanted to do something quick to make sure I understood what you meant).

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-27%20at%204.20.1

EDIT: Do you think I should add some more detail to the pants and shoes? I'm wondering if those parts look a bit flat compared to the upper body.

Archived