NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

19 hours ago, Wings said:

So the Raiders expect to be in Vegas by 2020. So that's 3 lame duck seasons in Oakland. I hope they win a Super Bowl during that time and make it really awkward. 

3 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

2-3 lame duck years does appear to be their plan for now. But I have a feeling that will change. The NFL's history is littered with reasons you do not play lame duck years, worst example being the Oilers last year in Houston. Given they've allowed the Chargers to play in a 27,000 seat soccer stadium, I have a feeling Sam Boyd Stadium will end up looking mighty appealing.

The Raiders only have two more one year options for the Coliseum. Keep in mind that both Raiders previous relocations had them live and practice in one city, then hop on a plane on Friday the whole season (home and away games).

37 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

The Raiders only have two more one year options for the Coliseum. Keep in mind that both Raiders previous relocations had them live and practice in one city, then hop on a plane on Friday the whole season (home and away games).

Very possible. I mean the Raiders just sank money into their Oakland HQ and training center. They could conceivably use it for a few years while they play in Las Vegas. But again they've been saying they'll stay in Oakland entirely for the first 2-3 years. They'd have to rethink that to make the live here/play there idea a reality.

And I still think they will, either that or an outright move to Las Vegas in advance. I'm very skeptical they'd continue to play in Oakland once the move has been approved unless maybe Mark is desperate for the suite revenues he gets at the Coliseum and would presumably lack in LV at Boyd.

On 1/15/2017 at 9:34 PM, Wings said:

So the Raiders expect to be in Vegas by 2020. So that's 3 lame duck seasons in Oakland. I hope they win a Super Bowl during that time and make it really awkward. 

Raider fans, for some reason, don't seem to give a rat's ass where their team plays, so it wouldn't be as awkward as you'd think.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

11 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

Boo'ed a Chargers player too. This is going to be a total :censored:show next season. I look forward to watching them fail.

They'll be playing in a 30,000 seat stadium, and I haven't looked at their home schedule for next year, but I fully expect road team fans to be the vast majority of their attendance. Especially if they host some of the more popular NFL teams. I seriously expect road team fans to buy out virtually the whole stadium. It's gonna be hilarious.

• Like 2

ClAFLDa.png

7 hours ago, Michael Bolton said:

They'll be playing in a 30,000 seat stadium, and I haven't looked at their home schedule for next year, but I fully expect road team fans to be the vast majority of their attendance. Especially if they host some of the more popular NFL teams. I seriously expect road team fans to buy out virtually the whole stadium. It's gonna be hilarious.

They host Buffalo, Denver, Cleveland, KC, Miami, Philly, Oakland, and Washington.

Not a ton of "national following" there.  The Raiders game should be embarrassing.  

I don't pay enough attention to be aware of which division plays which in advance so I was hoping for Green Bay.  Too bad the Dallas game is on the road.  Dallas, New England, Pittsburgh, and Green Bay would be the worst "home" games for them.  It'll be interesting to see how many fans (and for whom they cheer) will be there for games like Cleveland and Miami.

Regarding the Clipper game booing, I don't know the fan dynamics out there...is it a distaste for a team from a rival city or more a message of "really?  Who cares?  We have the Rams so why do we need this team nobody cares for?"

I'd rank this as more embarrassing than the Golden Knights mess.

Some of you probably have several hundred posts on this thread (i.e., follow it way more closely than do I)...is there any way they can back out of this?  This just seems like such a disaster.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

2 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

They host Buffalo, Denver, Cleveland, KC, Miami, Philly, Oakland, and Washington.

Not a ton of "national following" there.  The Raiders game should be embarrassing.  

I don't pay enough attention to be aware of which division plays which in advance so I was hoping for Green Bay.  Too bad the Dallas game is on the road.  Dallas, New England, Pittsburgh, and Green Bay would be the worst "home" games for them.  It'll be interesting to see how many fans (and for whom they cheer) will be there for games like Cleveland and Miami.

Regarding the Clipper game booing, I don't know the fan dynamics out there...is it a distaste for a team from a rival city or more a message of "really?  Who cares?  We have the Rams so why do we need this team nobody cares for?"

Some of you probably have several hundred posts on this thread (i.e., follow it way more closely than do I)...is there any way they can back out of this?  This just seems like such a disaster.

It is. People in Las Vegas at least wanted that team. That the logo and merchandise unveiling was such a mess was due in part to anticipation for the team. (Though how much of that was WE WANT HOCKEY vs WE WANT PRO SPORTS AND HOCKEY WILL DO FOR NOW? We'll see when the Raiders move.)

The Chargers' move to LA, to steal a phrase, has gone over like a fart in church.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

18 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

From what I can pick up, it's more like "we don't want them, not this way." I'd say it's sort of like when someone tries to sell you speakers that "fell off the back of a truck," if only because I cannot bear another franchise/wife analogy.

• Like 4

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Chargers are going to exist solely for Los Angelenos whose favorite teams aren't the Chargers. They're going to play 16 road games a year. If you're a Los Angeles based Broncos fan this is probably great because your one game a year just moved 2 hours closer to you. 

The Steelers will come to town, fill the stadium, and Al Michaels will say "you know Steelers fans travel well." No, those Steeler fans live in LA and have probably never been to Pittsburgh or have any connection to Pittsburgh. 

• Like 7

PvO6ZWJ.png

That certainly will happen when certain teams come to town.  But it's when teams like Jacksonville, Buffalo, Tennessee, or Houston come that will be most interesting.  The NFL does seem to have more "randomly-located" fans than most sports...there are Vikings fans from almost everywhere, but with the exception of those teams with national followings (Dallas, Green Bay, New England, Pittsburgh, Raiders, and to a lesser extent, teams like Denver, Chicago, and the Giants), I'll be interested to see whether the "LA-based" and "travelling" fans can combine to fill that place; that place being the MLS stadium.

Then they move to the real NFL stadium and at this point it seems like a disaster waiting to happen, whether you are talking about 70,000 Raider fans, or 25,000 empty seats.  The Chargers should pick up some local fans along the way...those that don't want to support a Rams team that left town, those that like the uniforms, those that want to support the "other" team (like Clippers fans)...but I am really doubtful whether there'll be enough fans with the money and inclination to fill that place up.

If I lived in LA and was a fan of any NFC or (especially) AFC West team, I'd be selfishly happy about this so I could go see my team once a year (which is about as often as I want to go to an NFL game) with little worry about the scalping  market.

I feel for San Diego fans.  But this I am going to enjoy watching this blow up in the league's and team's face.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

2 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

My take on the boo'ing, and subsequent cancellation of the "Fan Rally". Is that both reasons are in play that you mention. Some Angelenos just don't care. They're fans of the Rams, the Raiders, or just not fans of the NFL. Some of it has to do with the Chargers being San Diego's team and Angelenos don't seem to want them, they have a team such as it is, why would they want someone else's team? And some of it is simply anger at how this has gone down.

You don't have to be from San Diego to realize Spanos moved the team for no reason than his own pocketbook. There was a workable plan he abandoned in San Diego that even several of his fellow owners thought he should explore. But Spanos is such an inept coward he didn't have the fortitude to see it through. Not exactly a thrilling organization to get behind if you're from LA. About the only good from the Chargers move to LA is it makes the Rams organization look like they at least have half a clue what they're doing.

As for "national following" and the stadium next season, I expect the Raiders game to be almost entirely Raiders fans. They now have a 9th home game on their schedule. The Broncos game will be an orange out for sure. The rest will be a mix of empty seats and a good nunber of away fans. The Chargers very well may play 16 road games next season as they deserve to.

And regarding rolling it back, at this point I don't think there's anything stopping them from aborting the plan to move. They've yet to opt out of their Qualcomm Stadium lease or their lease on Chargers Park in San DIego. But that would involve them looking critically at just how much of a PR disaster this move has been (the first move in NFL history where the new city wasn't at least ok with getting a team nevermind the typical excited reaction). I've little hope that would happen however because if they'd looked at this critically in the first place they never would have moved to be a 5th rate football team in LA.

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

The Chargers are going to exist solely for Los Angelenos whose favorite teams aren't the Chargers. They're going to play 16 road games a year. If you're a Los Angeles based Broncos fan this is probably great because your one game a year just moved 2 hours closer to you. 

I was thinking, Las Vegas isn't too far a trip from Los Angeles.  I'd think many LA based Raider fans will surely try 1-3 games a year live yes?  

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark