NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

The Los Angeles Clippers of . . .

. . . never mind.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They should have moved out of the dumpy old Sports Arena and played in Anaheim until the Staples Center opened. They played a few games there for a few years but Sterling was gun-shy about the Clippers being an Orange County team, which is funny considering he hates minorities way more than anyone in Orange County does.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Maybe they could forge a partnership with the Ducks on a new arena?  Not sure what the Ducks financial situation looks like but maybe they'd be OK having a minority stake in something, or if they're not that well off, even being the Clippers' tennent (assuming Ballmer could give them a more favorable lease than what they have now, the details of which I know nothing about.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

18 minutes ago, Pauly said:

Yes a subtenent with the ducks.But if the Clippers build their own stadium it would make sense to get some type of a tenent to offset the stadium cost with them on the non basketball dates.

If Balmer buys (or partners) in land from/with Kroenke. He'll make it up in parking. Can't do that in Anaheim.

Balmer just needs to build something larger than USC's Galen Center and smaller than Staples. If he decided on a premium and intimate game experience, he can create the demand. Plus, he's been a part of Silicon Valley (and startups with $$$) moving to LA more and more.

Heck, Mark Cuban splits it all 50/50 with Stars ownership in the American Airlines Center revenues and he wants to move across the highway to his own place.

The Raiders have a new plan for financing the Vegas stadium with Bank of America filling in for Adelson and Goldman Sachs (source). At this point, is there anything that could keep the Las Vegas Raiders from happening? (I say fully aware that this is Mark Davis and the Raiders we are dealing with. There's nothing they couldn't mess up)

On 3/3/2017 at 4:43 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

Maybe they could forge a partnership with the Ducks on a new arena?  Not sure what the Ducks financial situation looks like but maybe they'd be OK having a minority stake in something, or if they're not that well off, even being the Clippers' tennent (assuming Ballmer could give them a more favorable lease than what they have now, the details of which I know nothing about.)

As I understand it the Ducks have a sweetheart lease at Honda Center, which just got a slew of government funded upgrades for them. I don't see them abandoning that and their core fan base (both corporate and otherwise) to play second fiddle to LA's second fiddle basketball team.

The Raiders have a new plan for financing the Vegas stadium with Bank of America filling in for Adelson and Goldman Sachs (source). At this point, is there anything that could keep the Las Vegas Raiders from happening? (I say fully aware that this is Mark Davis and the Raiders we are dealing with. There's nothing they couldn't mess up)

Sure seems like this is a done deal. B of A can't require much vetting being the behemoth bank they are, and their existing ties to the NFL. And when funded previously the owners seemed gung ho on Vegas given the $750 mil in public money waiting there (and Oakland offering nothing in return).

On 2/27/2017 at 4:47 PM, Still MIGHTY said:

Which has been renovated by MSG into a fantastic concert venue.

I get the Clippers wanting to move into their own arena, not that it would ultimately matter. (I had heard previous rumors of them looking all along West LA) And them getting in on the Inglewood complex and really making it a competitor to LA Live and Staples Center downtown has merit, but kind of like the discussion with the Islanders and another arena in New York, I don't know if LA really needs another arena. Let alone literally around the corner from a recently renovated one.

There are only so many events that roll through town. So I don't know if building one next to the damn Forum makes any sense.

I can't imagine it would be very profitable from a concerts/events perspective, but that'd be secondary to the Clippers owning their own building. Ballmer wants to pocket the entirety of the revenue generated by the arena, including luxury suites, concessions, ticket sales, likely parking, etc.

The Forum is a far superior concert venue to any new basketball arena (given the lack of luxury suites and how the Forum was purposefully renovated specifically for concerts), while Staples Center is more centrally located and larger than the Clippers' arena would be. I can't imagine it would make a dime on concerts or events. It'd probably be the fourth choice venue for events in LA, even behind the Honda Center - that at least has the advantage of being able to host touring events that want to run separate LA and OC events, or want to run a large arena without the higher costs of the Staples Center.

The NFL Finance committee has approved the financing package and recommended it to the league's owners for the vote at the end of March.

http://www.silverandblackpride.com/2017/3/7/14844576/raiders-las-vegas-relocation-nfl-joint-committee-recommendation-march-vote-on-schedule

Looks like the only thing stopping the Mayflower trucks at this point will be if the owners get cold feet on either the move to Vegas itself (which seems doubtful since there were no real indications they were outside of Adelson's prior involvement) or the debt load the Raiders will be taking on. But then $750 million in public funding talks to so no surprise there.

Worst part being that with the Raiders in Vegas the only real reasoning behind the Chargers move to LA evaporates and they look even more stupid for having made that move to irrelevance.

11 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

How is the Soccer City project coming along in SD?

They start collecting signatures in about a week. So far the city is very supportive. SDSU is less supportive on it because they're having delusions of Power 5 grandeur. But they also don't have much choice since Qualcomm is being demolished after the 2018 season and the Padres are only letting them shack up for 2019. After that the Aztecs are homeless without a new venue. Doug Manchester (local developer extraordinaire) suggested an alternative of rebuilding Qualcomm Stadium (for $500-$600 million) along the lines of what the Chiefs did to Arrowhead, but he'd need an NFL team to make it pencil out which all but the delusional know is not in the cards. I think ultimately SDSU and the MLS guys come to an accommodation and it'll get done. They're claiming conservatively the project will bring in $2.8 billion in economic activity and 26,000 permanent jobs (plus 42,000 construction jobs). A project of that scale won't be derailed over a few thousand seats for a Mountain West football team.

37 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

@bosrs1 Wouldn't you agree that the Aztecs should just swallow their pride and take whatever they can get out of the project?

You'd think so. But there's a school of thought out here that there's another party interest in the land who hasn't made themselves known yet who SDSU is counting on to give them what they want (a 40,000 seat stadium plus campus expansion) along side a redevelopment of the site. Long time San Diego developer and former Padres owner John Moores has been silent on his thoughts so far, and he had previously been tied to an earlier plan to redevelop that site. If he's is planning an as yet unseen redevelopment plan that favors SDSU as his earlier plan did... well the soccer plan may be dead man walking. Moores is connected up the yin-yang around SD.

MLS is bringing LAFC into the league by themselves next season, so that means there's no set timetable for the following team to enter, and therefore no particular rush to award the next expansion franchise.

Which should give San Diego time enough to get their plan together, and enough time for the St. Louis plan to pass or fail.  Although if that ownership group insists on public dollars then I really hope they're kept out of the league. 

2 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

MLS is bringing LAFC into the league by themselves next season, so that means there's no set timetable for the following team to enter, and therefore no particular rush to award the next expansion franchise.  

Which should give San Diego time enough to get their plan together, and enough time for the St. Louis plan to pass or fail.  Although if that ownership group insists on public dollars then I really hope they're kept out of the league. 

This isn't the homer in me talking, but Tampa Bay really has their ducks in a row.  I believe there's a city vote in April to have residents decide if the city can work with the team on a lease and site modifications.  Overall opinion seems positive and I don't believe any local money will be spent.

That's my understanding as well, so I'm pulling for the Rowdies too. 

I just can't get behind Peacock trying to feed at the public trough again.  Especially when he has a partner who could easily write a personal check to cover the whole amount (and who has done written just such a check in the recent past). 

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

That's my understanding as well, so I'm pulling for the Rowdies too. 

I just can't get behind Peacock trying to feed at the public trough again.  Especially when he has a partner who could easily write a personal check to cover the whole amount (and who has done written just such a check in the recent past). 

Wasn't Peacock the guy from AB that wanted to keep the Rams in St Louis?

Archived