NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

2 minutes ago, colortv said:

With a brand new stadium being likened to the Death Star.

That they will be tenants in, for the record. With their in-city rivals (cross-town doesn't really work) being their landlords.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

That they will be tenants in, for the record. With their in-city rivals (cross-town doesn't really work) being their landlords.

Which they are playing in for basically free.

$200 million loan from the league to play in a $2 billion stadium in a market of 20 million people.

The Chargers have decided to become the Sterling-era Clippers of the NFL. And you can't blame them, because that strategy was great for Sterling for a very, very long time.

It doesn't lead to inspiring sports, but some franchises don't really care about that.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

8 minutes ago, Wings said:

But the real problem is getting people to care about the Chargers. You could have the largest market in the world but if the fans don't give a :censored:, then you have nothing. 

People care about the Clippers, and they were run by the worst owner in history and the biggest joke in sports for 30 years.

This isn't a Clippers/Lakers thing, where you've got the most glamorous franchise in the league and the biggest joke in the league sharing the city for decades.

The Rams have history, but 20 years is a long time for people to forget things and they were never as successful as the Lakers.

That's not even factoring the whole "People can have an NFC team and an AFC team" thing.

You've got two basketball teams , two hockey teams, two baseball teams, hell 2 soccer teams all with good fanbases.

Chargers just need time.

People are judging a move which should be analyzed over decades based on 2 years.

Oh, and after everything I've said if people still feel there is any kind of remote possibility the Chargers could/would move 100 miles away to play in a 50 year old stadium they tried to replace for 20 years then well....

You want a bridge in Brooklyn?

48 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

The Chargers have decided to become the Sterling-era Clippers of the NFL. And you can't blame them, because that strategy was great for Sterling for a very, very long time.

It doesn't lead to inspiring sports, but some franchises don't really care about that.

And of course Sterling's departure had nothing to do with his actual ownership of the team, per se. I think that's a good comparison, actually. The Chargers probably have zero qualms about being any good, as long as they keep making money. When Sterling helmed the Clippers, any good players and/or teams was more just happenstance than anything else.

36 minutes ago, colortv said:

You've got two basketball teams

And what's odd about this is that unlike the Dodgers/Angels, Rams/Chargers, where they are in different leagues/conferences so have different rivalries, the Lakers/Clippers are in the same division. They have the same divisional rivalries. That's why there's almost zero incentive to be a Clippers fan beyond a specific player being on them, or them just not being the Lakers. It's why I generally don't like eastern/western conference splits in sports, and prefer when it's more of an arbitrary thing like in football or baseball.

6 minutes ago, Quillz said:

And of course Sterling's departure had nothing to do with his actual ownership of the team, per se. I think that's a good comparison, actually. The Chargers probably have zero qualms about being any good, as long as they keep making money. When Sterling helmed the Clippers, any good players and/or teams was more just happenstance than anything else.

Chargers are actually considered one of the most talented teams in the AFC and are being discussed as a possible Super Bowl contender.

That's with one of the best defensive players in the league sitting out until a few weeks from now.

2 minutes ago, colortv said:

Chargers are actually considered one of the most talented teams in the AFC and are being discussed as a possible Super Bowl contender.

That's with one of the best defensive players in the league sitting out until a few weeks from now.

Yes, I actually do follow the Chargers (they're the Angels equivalent to me), so them being good is nice. But, unlike the Rams, I still feel the Chargers more sort of lucked into the situation than really focusing on a complete rebuild.

3 minutes ago, Wings said:

The bottom line is the Chargers are worth more being in LA than San Diego. 

This is true in the same sense it would be true if they moved to New York. Supposedly the Rams jumped in value from 20th-something to at least second or third, just based on the media market alone.

4 hours ago, colortv said:

Oh, and after everything I've said if people still feel there is any kind of remote possibility the Chargers could/would move 100 miles away to play in a 50 year old stadium they tried to replace for 20 years then well....

You want a bridge in Brooklyn?

Speaking of Brooklyn...

The Islanders moved to a brand new (few years old by the time they moved in) building closer to the heart of a world financial capital with 20 million people in a 30 mile radius. They literally cannot fail based on market size. You're telling me that they're going to move back out to the suburbs to play in a 45 year old building that they tried to replace for years until their new building is finished?!

Except that's exactly what happened.

If the Chargers are really revising their revenue goals down from $400M to $150M, that's a frickin' disaster.

The Chargers' asking price for 26,000 of the PSLs in the new stadium is only $100. They're apparently having trouble selling them. The Vikings started their PSLs at $500. The least expensive Rams PSL is $1,000 for the same stadium and market.

Meanwhile, I think every AAF team is selling tickets which don't include food or parking that are more expensive than the Chargers' most expensive ticket in the new stadium.

Can't fail in that market?

8 hours ago, Wings said:

The bottom line is the Chargers are worth more being in LA than San Diego. 

Barely. Forbes has their value going up like $50 million by moving. And any increase in value was more than lost in the debt they incurred relocating.

14 hours ago, colortv said:

I'm going to repeat what I said in the Angels thread.

The Chargers basically have a market from the Mexican border in the south to Santa Barbara in the North, stretching 230 miles North to South with 20 million people. 

20 million people.

With a brand new stadium being likened to the Death Star.

With the NFL's TV contact, and everything else that comes with being an NFL team.

They will not "fail".

Well except they don’t. They lost the bulk of the San Diego market by leaving, just like the Clippers (the next Clippers fan I meet in San Diego will be the first). And there in lies their problem as their entire fan base has been in San Diego despite Spanos’ delusion to the contrary.

8 hours ago, Cosmic said:

Speaking of Brooklyn...

The Islanders moved to a brand new (few years old by the time they moved in) building closer to the heart of a world financial capital with 20 million people in a 30 mile radius. They literally cannot fail based on market size. You're telling me that they're going to move back out to the suburbs to play in a 45 year old building that they tried to replace for years until their new building is finished?!

Except that's exactly what happened.

If the Chargers are really revising their revenue goals down from $400M to $150M, that's a frickin' disaster.

Why don’t we try a little critical thinking to see why it’s different than a hypothetical move back to San Diego: 1. The Brooklyn arena wasn’t designed for hockey which is the primary reason they are moving, not the case with the Inglewood stadium. 2. Islanders are building a new arena, Spanos family can’t afford to build a stadium in San Diego on their own. 3. They are still staying in the New York market. 

7 hours ago, Cosmic said:

The Chargers' asking price for 26,000 of the PSLs in the new stadium is only $100. They're apparently having trouble selling them. The Vikings started their PSLs at $500. The least expensive Rams PSL is $1,000 for the same stadium and market.

Meanwhile, I think every AAF team is selling tickets which don't include food or parking that are more expensive than the Chargers' most expensive ticket in the new stadium.

Can't fail in that market?

Well apparently the chargers revenue is already greater than what it was in San Diego, so there’s that. 

Archived