NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

San Francisco didn't offer the York's much of anything in terms of assistance. If they wanted a stadium it was going to be on them. Santa Clara offered some land and $100,000,000 in funding (which on the balance isn't alot compared to some cities, but it was about all they were going to get in the Bay Area). 

I’ve written about this before. Bay Area cities and voters aren’t keen on public funding for stadiums. Funny enough, the Giants considered the Levi’s Stadium site for a new venue in the late-1980s/early-1990s. That failed in a referendum (thankfully). The whole exercise (especially reading both Home Team and Stadium for Rent) really complicated my attitudes towards Bob Lurie.

@bosrs1, I’m sorry that the Giants didn’t return Haas’ show of good faith.

So are the Vikings the only team in NFL history to tear down and build a new stadium on the site of the previous one? Honestly if there's a suitable temporary venue nearby, I'd prefer teams did that.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

9 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

So are the Vikings the only team in NFL history to tear down and build a new stadium on the site of the previous one? Honestly if there's a suitable temporary venue nearby, I'd prefer teams did that.

Browns?

24 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

Soldier Field

Browns (as stated by Wings)

new Mile High, Raymond James, MetLife, Heinz, nrg, and Lincoln Financial were built within the same parcel as their former stadiums.

I8ua4eH.jpg

u0oMyLM.jpg

Metrodome had to be imploded first because there was not a large enough staging area for contractors. 

It’s pretty common to build a new stadium in the parking lot of the old.   But that’s not what @4_tattoos was talking about - the Vikings’ stadium was actually built in the same spot as the Metrodome, the two buildings’ footprints overlap.  That’s unusual.

Don't think I’d count Soldier Field either - that’s an extensive remodel, not a new building.  

16 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

It’s pretty common to build a new stadium in the parking lot of the old.   But that’s not what @4_tattoos was talking about - the Vikings’ stadium was actually built in the same spot as the Metrodome, the two buildings’ footprints overlap.  That’s unusual.

Don't think I’d count Soldier Field either - that’s an extensive remodel, not a new building.  

It's 1970s Yankee Stadium level.  I'd say it was effectively a new building.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

8 minutes ago, rams80 said:

It's 1970s Yankee Stadium level.  I'd say it was effectively a new building.

I didn’t call that a new building. And no matter how hard the Yanks tried to pretend that it was, with the “Yankee Stadium II” thing, nobody else did either. 

The 49ers should have built a new stadium at Candlestick Point and played elsewhere in the meantime. But since they didn't, I hope the city at least puts affordable housing there.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

10 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Was it?  Didn't they level everything inside of the facade and build a new building?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

12 hours ago, the admiral said:

The 49ers should have built a new stadium at Candlestick Point and played elsewhere in the meantime. But since they didn't, I hope the city at least puts affordable housing there.

Yeah I think the Niners should have done that too. I'd like to believe a deal could have been made to use Stanford, Cal or even San Jose State as a temporary venue.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

2 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

Yeah I think the Niners should have done that too. I'd like to believe a deal could have been made to use Stanford, Cal or even San Jose State as a temporary venue.

If the Raiders can't use UNLV's stadium, then San Jose State's would have been out of the question as it's even smaller. There's plenty of hypothetical places to play in the Bay Area that I'm sure something could have been worked out. Heck, Cal played at AT&T Oracle Park when they were renovating Memorial Stadium.

37 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

Again, in 2010, as a condition for the university to renovate California Memorial Stadium, the university agreed in an Alameda County court to have no professional football games played, in addition to no more than nine events of 10,000 or more people in a three year period, which are not either Cal Bears football or graduation.

That's why the Raiders cannot play there (in addition to them refusing to pay taxes in the 70's), why the XFL isn't there, and why the 49ers didn't try.  As for Stanford, the team wouldn't have to meet with the university, rather they would've had to meet with John Arrillaga, the contractor and real estate billionaire who basically paid for the new stadium himself and family's endowment places their name on virtually every athletic/recreation building on the campus. 

On 1/25/2019 at 1:33 PM, Wings said:

Remember when Eddie D wanted to build a stadium/mall to replace Candlestick Park and then that little situation in Louisiana popped up..... ooops.

It was more complex than that, much more complex

On 1/25/2019 at 1:35 PM, neo_prankster said:

SMH. I remember seeing the renderings for that. That would've looked so cool.

14 hours ago, the admiral said:

Affordable housing, especially for low-income seniors became a priority on specific parcels of the former stadium site in a June 2018 land use amendment.  When the stadium closed, there were 2,500 applications for 210 affordable units and another condo project was converted into affordable units.   It's the 11,000 units proposed on the former Naval Base which are stonewalled due to issues I mentioned in an earlier post.  

19 hours ago, Gothamite said:

No it was a complete rebuild. Nothing of the old Soldier Field is left except the outer facade. it's entirely new. 

19 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Again not really. Qwest Field was build where the Kingdome stood. Soldier Field two was build in the exact spot Soldier Field 1 sat. Browns Stadium was built on the exact spot the Mistake On the Lake stood. And they'll be joined by the Redskins if they get their way and RFK is leveled for a new Skins stadium. 

Archived