NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

So, it bears mentioning. The Rams end their season with a game against the Bucs on Thursday (their only prime time game), then @Seattle and @San Francisco for the last two games.

This is the kind of schedule I'd expect if the team was announcing a relocation during the season.

Good call. I just checked the Raiders'... they're playing the Chargers on Christmas Eve! lols at 8:25pm no less wtf. Maybe they can move that one to Los Angeles.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

So, it bears mentioning. The Rams end their season with a game against the Bucs on Thursday (their only prime time game), then @Seattle and @San Francisco for the last two games.

This is the kind of schedule I'd expect if the team was announcing a relocation during the season.

The Chargers are similarly done at home on Dec 20 against Miami and then play their last two on the road in Oakland and KC. Also a schedule that would be conducive to announcing a relocation. The talking heads in San Diego were quick to point this out this morning.

Yeah, the scheduling isn't pretty. That Thursday game vs. Tampa might mean a chance to go out as winners, but it's not going to draw many fans unless fans decide to show up just because it's the last game. But whatever.

Meanwhile, the St. Louis Stadium taskforce is presenting to the NFL today.

https://twitter.com/stlstadium/status/590881094532210688

CDM7OUoWgAAv_fm.jpg

There's this about the presentation:

Source who's seen #stlnfl @nfl owners presentation: "very impressive; heavy on specifics; constr. team in place; sharp new stad animations"

https://twitter.com/andybankertv/status/590864041783865344

I'm skeptical of everything, but I do wonder if there are more funding specifics in the presentation than have been made public. And thus if those will become public shortly after the presentation. Hopefully we'll get a fresh round of information soon.

Good call. I just checked the Raiders'... they're playing the Chargers on Christmas Eve! lols at 8:25pm no less wtf. Maybe they can move that one to Los Angeles.

Maybe they should make it "winner gets to go to L.A." Now that'd be a game worth watching.

nav-logo.png

Well, NFL VP Eric Grubman had more to say yesterday before the Carson vote when he was interviewed by Fred Roggin.

When the league was working on one site in Los Angeles there were fewer outcomes than when the league began to work on three sites. When clubs then jumped in and home markets jumped in with responses, the complexity went way up.

He also took a shot at the lack of action from Oakland/Alameda County essentially during the Jean Quan administration.

I’ve had multiple visits to Oakland. And in those visits – each of those for the past three years – I visited with with public officials, and I feel like we’ve gone backwards. So I feel like we’ve lost years and gone backwards. And that usually doesn’t bode well.

Well, NFL VP Eric Grubman had more to say yesterday before the Carson vote when he was interviewed by Fred Roggin.

When the league was working on one site in Los Angeles there were fewer outcomes than when the league began to work on three sites. When clubs then jumped in and home markets jumped in with responses, the complexity went way up.

He also took a shot at the lack of action from Oakland/Alameda County essentially during the Jean Quan administration.

I’ve had multiple visits to Oakland. And in those visits – each of those for the past three years – I visited with with public officials, and I feel like we’ve gone backwards. So I feel like we’ve lost years and gone backwards. And that usually doesn’t bode well.

And to add a tad more insult to Oakland's injury...

http://www.sfgate.com/raiders/article/Davis-linked-to-competing-L-A-stadium-faction-6218253.php?cmpid=twitter-desktop

Mark Davis has now been linked peripherally to the Inglewood Stadium as well. So Davis now potentially has 4 irons in the fire. Carson, Inglewood, San Antonio and Oakland.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

The St. Louis Task Force is supposedly set to release more information and renderings today. Here's some teases from their Twitter profile.

http://twiter.com/stlstadium

L2lL3Jid.jpg

Why they would choose to feature a rendering that shows their perfectly fine football stadium behind the new one to remind folks of why the new one isn't REALLY needed is beyond me. They do want the public to support this project right?

Did we talk about this? Philip Rivers is apparently reluctant to sign a contract extension, because he doesn't want to play in LA:

http://utsandiego.com/news/2015/apr/14/philip-rivers-trade-chargers-titans-acee/

For god's sake. "Some in the organization are dreading a move to Los Angeles."

Moving from San Diego to Los Angeles isn't an arduous journey.

I mean I live in the middle. I know the differences between the two. I also know the similarities. Beyond the hassle of actually moving, Phillip can suck it up.

I dunno, I actually kind of agree. I'm moving to San Diego for a job next month, and I honestly think I probably would've turned it down had it been in LA. San Diego doesn't have a lot of the hassles that LA does, specifically the traffic. Not that you don't already know this. San Diego is fun and the positives are worth some of the hassles. Los Angeles kinda sucks, and any benefit is usually negated by the crapy parts of it.

Hassles, as well as he'd be instantly thrust(ed?) under the microscope more than he already is. Although he's very solid and one of the best in the game, he's not the greatest crunch time, important-game winning QB, and would be under far more pressure under the bright spotlights of L.A.

sig.png

I don't have a lot of sympathy there. QB is the most high-profile single position in American pro sports. You can't shy away from the spotlight. If he's cashing the paycheck, he has to face the public.

I hear you. But there's only so many angles you can show it from an not get the Dome in there. And I'm sure they wanted to show downtown in the background. After all, this is going to revitalize downtown (again), haven't you heard?

I agree - it's sort of inevitable that the Dome would be captured in any significant downtown view.

That music just makes me want to buy Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance and learn about the importance of commitment and teamwork.

The players on the field look like they're wearing throwbacks.

It looks fantastic, but I don't see it happening.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

Those are lovely renderings, but that's never been in question. I still want to know how they intend to pay for it.

Yep, I agree. The renderings keep getting lovlier, though, so they're cool to look at.

It seems like the Task Force keeps impressing the NFL with their plan, so I have to think the funding is viewed as realistic, but until they tell us in detail, we should remain skeptical.

Something happened in the Missouri Senate this afternoon, but I'm not entirely clear what. But some sort of budget was passed that included money for the Edward Jones Dome withOUT a provision restricting money from going to a new stadium. But that's entirely as much as I know. I don't know if this is big news or small stuff. I'm thinking it's pretty small stuff.

The Inglewood mayor was interviewed on KNX this morning. In a nice shot at Carson he pointed out how much environmental work would be needed for that site including the need to install a methane vent system that would need to operate in perpetuity as well as removal of thousands upon thousands of tons of contaminated dirt.

VmWIn6B.png

Those are lovely renderings, but that's never been in question. I still want to know how they intend to pay for it.

Yep, I agree. The renderings keep getting lovlier, though, so they're cool to look at.

It seems like the Task Force keeps impressing the NFL with their plan, so I have to think the funding is viewed as realistic, but until they tell us in detail, we should remain skeptical.

Something happened in the Missouri Senate this afternoon, but I'm not entirely clear what. But some sort of budget was passed that included money for the Edward Jones Dome withOUT a provision restricting money from going to a new stadium. But that's entirely as much as I know. I don't know if this is big news or small stuff. I'm thinking it's pretty small stuff.

I find it ludicrous that people are considering paying for a new football stadium for a team that may not actually want to stay when the old football stadium has yet to have been paid off.

It is every bit of ludicrous. Mostly anyways.

The one thing I can say is the tax numbers actually seem to shake out okay. Anybody selling the stadium as a revitalization of anywhere or any kind of economic boon is full of it. But it sounds like it will create (or rather maintain) roughly the same amount of tax dollars it spends. Probably a loss, but not the boondoggle I feared.

I'd probably still vote on the no side (1) because it's ridiculous to be building another one already, and (2) because I think there are better ways to use the land (and the money, even if it's not a huge loss).

So it's kind of whatever. In fact, that's basically my go-to answer these days when people ask me about it.

"Are the Rams staying?"

*Shrug* "I dunno. Whatever. Maybe."

"Do you like (the idea of) the new stadium?"

*Shrug* "I dunno. It might be alright. Whatever."