2015 Indiana Pacers Redesign

Ross_Shafer

I've been working on this for a little while and thought I would share with everyone. Since this season has essentially been a wash a few co-workers and I had discussed how this year would be perfect to introduce a brand new identity. The idea was not to change too much, but try and modernize the current marks, type, court, jerseys (while leaving some of that classic pacer charm).

C&C is always appreciated.

6jq5b6.jpg

2d12yqv.jpg

11l3c7n.jpg

n3m6g3.jpg

28ich1f.jpg

ohaox.jpg

2cyp6yo.jpg

Art Director at Lodge Design • Indianapolis, IN

- - - - - - - - - -

www.wechoosetogotothemoondesign.com

Wow. Only thing I would add is an Indy 500 alternate. Awesome job though

Not much point in that. Regular season ends in April and the Indy 500 is usually late May so to make a special jersey to wear late in the playoffs - assuming you make it - I don't see it being done. I really don't see your comment as real C&C but rather just an attempt to have more post count while disguising it as useful. That's just my opinion.

As for the actual jerseys, they are pretty much perfect. This was my favourite era for Indy; I do prefer the lower case, but I think this is a more modern approach that I can get used to.

Not much point in that. Regular season ends in April and the Indy 500 is usually late May so to make a special jersey to wear late in the playoffs - assuming you make it - I don't see it being done. I really don't see your comment as real C&C but rather just an attempt to have more post count while disguising it as useful. That's just my opinion.

As for the actual jerseys, they are pretty much perfect. This was my favourite era for Indy; I do prefer the lower case, but I think this is a more modern approach that I can get used to.

I feel this to be true. Most every thread you suggest a racing themed idea for the persons thread or mention an idea for a racing concept series or something.

Not everyone is into racing or wants to incorporate racing into their concepts so no need to constantly suggest it or mention a series you might do.

I'm digging it. Usually not too keen on those era jerseys being brought back, mostly because the stripes never flowed from the jersey to the shorts, but adding the stripe that (presumably) is straight makes this look a lot sleeker and less like a 90s jersey that didn't age well. My only gripe, and it might be in nitpick territory, has to do with the primary logo. I don't know, it just seems off--I think it's because the horizontal stripes stop at a navy border instead of going into the ball (like the previous incarnations have). I'm sure others have differing opinions on this so take it with a grain of salt. You've got a winner here.

MK8_Iggy.pngMK8_Lemmy.pngMK8_Ludwig.pngMK8_Morton.png

I like it. I like the return to a non-standard stripes down the sides uniform.

However, I think its a huge mistake to not line up the seems on the ball and in the P. It looks disjointed. I know you are trying to make it unique, make it your own... but I think its a mistake. It looks like the P and the ball don't belong together. Almost like they were taken from separate logos and pasted on each other.

Thanks so much for all the C&C. I'll definitely this stuff into consideration.

I originally didn't connect the ball to the lines because I thought it kinda killed the depth I was trying to create. That was pretty early on the process so I hadn't thought about it much since, buts I definitely think its an improvement now.

I tried to stay away from 500 stuff, I know Pacers has roots in horse/auto racing but I wanted their brand to live on their own. Things I decided to focus more on (in the secondary logos) was the state of indiana (indiana's game, indiana's team) and 1967 (ABA roots). I had a version where the ball is striped more like the ABA ball, but I thought that might be overkill.

3136o9c.jpg

2cxjpc2.jpg

5o87md.jpg

2m2uv77.jpg

4qllaq.jpg

11rygde.jpg

kdab90.jpg

- - - - - - - - - -

The logos are killer, especially the secondary ones. I'm not that crazy about the uniforms. Seems like something is missing. Can't put my finger on it though.

Those uniforms (or the ones they were inspired from) are really cheap looking and dated. Drop shadows, etc. Modernizing them would go a bit farther than using the same uniform template with just a new font.

The logos though are pretty good.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

Nice work here overall! I like the primary logo, and the changes you made in the update are a huge improvement. The Indiana logo is great as well--I'd buy a shirt with that on it. I do have several suggestions, though...

- I'd remove the silver from the roundel logo, since you didn't use it anywhere else.

- I'd simplify the southern part of the state in the Indiana logo a little bit. Those super detailed lines would be hard to reproduce.

- Change the wordmarks on the baselines of the court to yellow to match the roundel logo at center court.

- While I love the FloJos, I'd like to see you make more of an attempt to modernize them, rather than replicate them with the new typeface. Personally, I was never a fan of how the jersey and shorts stripes didn't line up.

- Maybe you could incorporate the darker yellow into the uniforms somehow, since it's so prominent in the logo.

Thank you for the comments, I will have to disagree with what you said about the uniforms.

These aren't just the old uniforms with a new font. Sure they are revamps of the flo-jos (the best pacer jersey IMO) but a few details have changed. The white diagonal stripe going down the sides is now straight to give more continuity between the jersey and shorts. The collar color schemes have been cut from 3 color two 2 to help simplify the overall design. The team wordmark is now in all caps too.

Where I believe these jerseys really come to life at are in the little details. The different fabrics used for the stripes, the beautiful bold stitching around the numbers. (see attached) Until I can finally figure out how to sew my own jersey those little details will unfortunately be lost.

msorjp.jpg

- - - - - - - - - -

Archived