U. of North Dakota nickname - Have they announced one yet?

stumpygremlin

I know that U. of N.Dakota was not allowed to have a new athletic mascot until 2015. Well, 2015 is upon us, so I'm curious if the school has announced anything of the sort, or if there are any indications that they are going to add one anytime soon.

Note: this is not meant to be a debate thread about the merits of the old nickname, just a curiosity question about a new one.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope it's about time. They're in the same conference as Montana, so every time they play, it's really weird. The announcers aren't used to it, so they have to catch themselves from not saying anything other than "University of North Dakota" (I don't mean catching themselves from saying the old nickname, I mean that it's weird to not say anything after University of Nirth Dakota)

Edit: found this

http://www.twincities.com/education/ci_27417723/new-und-nickname-plan-its-way-includes-old

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

I hope it's about time. They're in the same conference as Montana, so every time they play, it's really weird. The announcers aren't used to it, so they have to catch themselves from not saying anything other than "University of North Dakota" (I don't mean catching themselves from saying the old nickname, I mean that it's weird to not say anything after University of Nirth Dakota)

Edit: found this

http://www.twincities.com/education/ci_27417723/new-und-nickname-plan-its-way-includes-old

Expand on weird? Because they have been competing against Montana for just a few years. I went to school there, live in NoDak and can tell you as of now there is not a name.

The best case scenario is to go no nickname, however, I believe, that is not allowed. The only name left that makes sense, to me, is the Rough Riders. (Which I don't think is talked about) Aside from that, and no nickname, as a former Fighting Sioux athlete and season hockey ticket holder, switching to a new nickname is gonna be a real kick in the nuts.

Edit: found thishttp://www.twincities.com/education/ci_27417723/new-und-nickname-plan-its-way-includes-old

Expand on weird? Because they have been competing against Montana for just a few years. I went to school there, live in NoDak and can tell you as of now there is not a name.

The best case scenario is to go no nickname, however, I believe, that is not allowed. The only name left that makes sense, to me, is the Rough Riders. (Which I don't think is talked about) Aside from that, and no nickname, as a former Fighting Sioux athlete and season hockey ticket holder, switching to a new nickname is gonna be a real kick in the nuts.

Like, they say "Welcome to Washington-Grizzly Stadium, as the Griz host the University of North Dakota..." And their tone is as if there is more to say, but they just end the sentence there. Our announcers are so used to say things like "Montana State Bobcats" or "Eastern Washington Eagles" or "University of San Diego Torreros." They just aren't used to saying a team without a nickname, and it's really weird

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

Edit: found thishttp://www.twincities.com/education/ci_27417723/new-und-nickname-plan-its-way-includes-old

Like, they say "Welcome to Washington-Grizzly Stadium, as the Griz host the University of North Dakota..." And their tone is as if there is more to say, but they just end the sentence there. Our announcers are so used to say things like "Montana State Bobcats" or "Eastern Washington Eagles" or "University of San Diego Torreros." They just aren't used to saying a team without a nickname, and it's really weird

So, the reason they need to get a new nickname ASAP, personally for you, is so it's not so weird for you to hear and to help out the Montana announcers, as it has to be weird for them as well? I'll be in Grand Forks tomorrow and be sure to tell the university you said this. I can only imagine they will hurry even more with this information now known to us!!!!!

I know that U. of N.Dakota was not allowed to have a new athletic mascot until 2015.

Uga is a mascot...Sebastian the Ibis is a mascot...Bucky Badger is a mascot...Goldy Gopher is a mascot. UND has not had a mascot in a long, long time.

Those are an example of a mascot, yes, but the term "mascot" defines more than just goofy characters with big heads rambling around a sporting event.

SIG1.png

SIG2.pngSIG3.png

So, the reason they need to get a new nickname ASAP, personally for you, is so it's not so weird for you to hear and to help out the Montana announcers, as it has to be weird for them as well? I'll be in Grand Forks tomorrow and be sure to tell the university you said this. I can only imagine they will hurry even more with this information now known to us!!!!!

Don't be obnoxious (too late for that, though). He merely said he hopes they'll come up with a name soon for that reason. It's really no different than you saying "as a season ticket holder, it will be in a kick in the nuts if they change their name."

IUe6Hvh.png

Don't be obnoxious (too late for that, though). He merely said he hopes they'll come up with a name soon for that reason. It's really no different than you saying "as a season ticket holder, it will be in a kick in the nuts if they change their name."

You skipped over the part where I said former athlete there. I was in the athletic department from 2008 to 2012....so me saying the name change would be a kick in the nuts and his statement being pretty much the same thing and carrying the same weight in meaning is absolutely false.

His ties to the school includes Montana plays them in sports. He wants them to get a name because it sounds weird.

My ties to the school and reasons "it would be a kick in the nuts" are my dad is an alumni, my mother is an alumni, I'm an alumni and played on golf scholarship, and I also have a sister there now. I played in the last years of the Fighting Sioux name. I live an hour away, and frequently attend the hockey games.

So ya, it might mean a little more to me then "it sounds weird." They are pretty different.

My ties to the school and reasons "it would be a kick in the nuts" are my dad is an alumni, my mother is an alumni, I'm an alumni and played on golf scholarship, and I also have a sister there now.

Pedant alert: you are an alumnus. So's your dad, and your mother (although she might prefer "alumna"). Your sister will also be, whenever she leaves the school.

Collectively, you are all alumni. But not individually.

That having been said, I understand why you have an emotional connection to the old name, but other people have every bit as much right to their opinions.

I know that U. of N.Dakota was not allowed to have a new athletic mascot until 2015.

Uga is a mascot...Sebastian the Ibis is a mascot...Bucky Badger is a mascot...Goldy Gopher is a mascot. UND has not had a mascot in a long, long time.

Those are an example of a mascot, yes, but the term "mascot" defines more than just goofy characters with big heads rambling around a sporting event.

What North Dakota is missing is a nickname and logo. "Crimson Tide" is not a mascot, it's a nickname. Big Al, their elephant, is the school mascot.

Even if you're close to this issue, please refrain from taking that out on other posters. Thank you.

Never singled anyone out. Never took it out on anyone, explained myself thoroughly is about it.

My ties to the school and reasons "it would be a kick in the nuts" are my dad is an alumni, my mother is an alumni, I'm an alumni and played on golf scholarship, and I also have a sister there now.

Pedant alert: you are an alumnus. So's your dad, and your mother (although she might prefer "alumna"). Your sister will also be, whenever she leaves the school.

Collectively, you are all alumni. But not individually.

That having been said, I understand why you have an emotional connection to the old name, but other people have every bit as much right to their opinions.

You're so smart.

• 1 month later...

Nice Wall Street Journal story today on the University of North Dakota nickname process. The committee that will select three finalists by May will accept recommendations from the public into April.

A few interesting details from the story

• They talked with Karl Goerhing, an assistant hockey coach and committee member (who as also the goalie for the team back when I went there), who suggest the school's original name — Flickertails — is a nonstarter. UND's biggest hockey rival historically is the University of Minnesota Gophers, and a flickertail is basically a small gopher.
  • Goerhing said he's heard a bunch of name suggestions from the public, some of which I think are pretty interesting, including: Roughriders (a link to Teddy Roosevelt's ties to the state), Pilots (in honor of the university's nationally renowned aviation program), Flames (a nod to the Eternal Flame statue on campus) and NoDaks.

<p>

Nice Wall Street Journal story today on the University of North Dakota nickname process. The committee that will select three finalists by May will accept recommendations from the public into April.

A few interesting details from the story

• They talked with Karl Goerhing, an assistant hockey coach and committee member (who as also the goalie for the team back when I went there), who suggest the school's original name Flickertails is a nonstarter. UND's biggest hockey rival historically is the University of Minnesota Gophers, and a flickertail is basically a small gopher.
  • Goerhing said he's heard a bunch of name suggestions from the public, some of which I think are pretty interesting, including: Roughriders (a link to Teddy Roosevelt's ties to the state), Pilots (in honor of the university's nationally renowned aviation program), Flames (a nod to the Eternal Flame statue on campus) and NoDaks.

Any of them aren't too bad besides the NoDaks. Although, how do you make a flame green?

Archived