U. of North Dakota nickname - Have they announced one yet?

stumpygremlin

NoDak is just an old shorthand nickname for North Dakota. I've seen/used it for years in college hockey discussions.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nokota is a breed of horse in the Badlands of North Dakota. To my knowledge there is no breed "nodak". When searching I did find an individual horse given the name "Nodak" though.

While a great campfire story, the "legend" of the Nokota horse "breed" is a farce.

North Dakota NoDaks would be beloved if it were a name that had been around for a century.

Maybe that means it wouldn't, or shouldn't, work as a modern choice but eh. To me that retro feel is what works. We need more of that in sports. And less fierce animal mascots paired with agressive cartoon logos.

I actually like the name Nodaks.

*runs back to vacation cabin for safety*

I do too. It really rolls off the tongue and has that "we made this in the 1800s" feel that makes college nicknames cooler than the pros sometimes. I might be stretching here, but it also sounds a bit tribe-ish.

HofstraPride.png

Apologies for reverting back to the Hofstra talk, but this one of my favorite logos in college sports.

Also, when I was younger and playing NCAA Gamebreaker, I used to think that Hofstra's logo was a Visa card.

Now Back to your regularly scheduled UND conversation.

Nokota is a breed of horse in the Badlands of North Dakota. To my knowledge there is no breed "nodak". When searching I did find an individual horse given the name "Nodak" though.

While a great campfire story, the "legend" of the Nokota horse "breed" is a farce.

I gotta go there, what makes you say that?

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

The name had to be changed because you couldn't license the intellectual property from the people who own it. Period.

As for "Pride", it's never a great nickname but at least Hofstra uses it in the sense of a collective noun for group of lions, instead of the abstract sense of satisfaction in one's own accomplishments or status.

HofstraPride.png

A little off topic but does anyone recall why Hofstra changed from the Dutchmen?

Hofstra wanted to establish a more unified identity, so the Pride name came about as a result of a campaign to do just that. They zoned in on the lion as the symbol of the university, which made sense. But Flying Dutchmen was a great name.

I'll agree Flying Dutchman was a great name and I was sad to see it go. I thought maybe it had to do with gender issues which I would have called BS on. There is a high school in my area with the Flying Dutchmen name and the girls teams are referred to as the Lady Dutch. Never any problems or complaints so that's why I was curious about the reasoning for the Hofstra change.

The name had to be changed because you couldn't license the intellectual property from the people who own it. Period.

As for "Pride", it's never a great nickname but at least Hofstra uses it in the sense of a collective noun for group of lions, instead of the abstract sense of satisfaction in one's own accomplishments or status.

HofstraPride.png

A little off topic but does anyone recall why Hofstra changed from the Dutchmen?

Hofstra wanted to establish a more unified identity, so the Pride name came about as a result of a campaign to do just that. They zoned in on the lion as the symbol of the university, which made sense. But Flying Dutchmen was a great name.

I'll agree Flying Dutchman was a great name and I was sad to see it go. I thought maybe it had to do with gender issues which I would have called BS on. There is a high school in my area with the Flying Dutchmen name and the girls teams are referred to as the Lady Dutch. Never any problems or complaints so that's why I was curious about the reasoning for the Hofstra change.

Flying Dutchmen was a great nickname.

• 4 weeks later...

The final five has been released. Noteworthy in its omission — going nickname-less no longer among the options.

Here they are:

• Fighting Hawks
  • Nodaks
  • North Stars
  • Roughriders
  • Sundogs

http://und.edu/features/2015/07/nickname-committee.cfm

North Stars would be great, can they still have the indian head logo?

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

The final five has been released. Noteworthy in its omission going nickname-less no longer among the options.

Here they are:

• Fighting Hawks
  • Nodaks
  • North Stars
  • Roughriders
  • Sundogs

http://und.edu/features/2015/07/nickname-committee.cfm

North Stars would be great, can they still have the indian head logo?

No. They will go with this logo instead. :)

Minnesota_North_Stars3.jpg

I'm on board with North Stars (I've been looking at their MS in Space Studies program, though that makes me a bit bias ;) ), though "The University of North Dakota North Stars" can sound a bit redundant. If it's a big enough problem, maybe use "The University of North Dakota Stars" when referring to the full name and "North Stars" when directly referring to athletics teams.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

If I had to pick from this list. I would go with Roughriders.

North Stars is second choice.

Nodaks third

AND I could never pull for any nickname that just puts "sun" (or "ice" for hockey teams) in front of another name. SunDogs, IceDogs, etc...

Sorry to see North Dakota have to change

They could have just changed to the "Fighting Sue" and had a logo of Susan Sarandon and Susan Lucci facing each other in Boxing Gloves!

Sorry, that jokes probably been used almost as much as "put a Potato on the Washington NFL Teams Helmet and call it a day"!.

Archived