U. of North Dakota nickname - Have they announced one yet?

stumpygremlin

Frankly, I'm baffled that "Sundogs" made it this far. It makes absolutely no sense.

Why not? Sun Dogs are exceptionally common in colder climates.

...or is this more of a philisophical question, like, "I dont get why anyone would like this?" sort of thing.

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Frankly, I'm baffled that "Sundogs" made it this far. It makes absolutely no sense.

Why not? Sun Dogs are exceptionally common in colder climates.

...or is this more of a philisophical question, like, "I dont get why anyone would like this?" sort of thing.

The latter. :)

AND I could never pull for any nickname that just puts "sun" (or "ice" for hockey teams) in front of another name. SunDogs, IceDogs, etc...

..except in the case of "Sundogs", that's not the case.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

If that is really the Genesis of the idea behind using that name, they'd be better off using the Scientific Name and just call the sports teams the North Dakota Parhelia.

The name would be unique, create lots of discussion and they wouldn't get confused with Minor League teams who like to add Adjectives behind a name to make a new one.

They would also need to do a much better job than the CHL Arizona Sundogs in creating an identity for that name. Their Sundogs logo, etc. pretty run of the mill.

GO ROUGHRIDERS!

I had no idea what a sun dog was, but I actually really like that.. I could see something like the Subaru logo, but with the Rays secondary logo shape going on the helmet.. Bigger "sun" forward with "sun dog" slightly behind.. Just an idea though..

Honestly, I think if they went with Sundogs you may end up seeing a prairie dog as the logo.

Roughriders is my favorite too.

I'm fine with Roughriders as long as they don't come up with anything as uhly as Saskatchewan's alternate uniforms.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I'd like to see Fighting Hawks or Sundogs. I feel as if they'd have a great opportunity to create a cool identity with the 'Sundogs' name. I really hope they don't take the North Stars name...also not a fan of Nodaks. Roughriders would be a nice choice as well, but I'm shocked that the option of going without a nickname was left behind.

sport-scarf_vikes_zps08004021.png

Roughriders is my choice too

Sixthed . . . or whatever we're up to.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

They are milking this for all it's worth. It's ridiculous something like this should take this many years to settle.

Nobody's milking anything. It's not like they want this to continue, and it's not just as simple as choosing a nickname. There are many -- likely the vast majority -- that may never let go of the Fighting Sioux nickname. To many of those, having no nickname is more palatable than having a new nickname. Conversely, the people that feel like UND needs to completely remove itself from the Sioux name, the only option is to cut the cord and start fresh with a new name.

It's remarkably divisive for something that seems so trivial. But names matter, especially for a place that attributes so much of its identity from the local university.

From a "sounds good" point of view, I think "North Dakota North Stars" rolls off the tongue nicely. But the double North looks a little odd written out.

I saw a road baseball game for North Dakota a few seasons ago. The public address person introduced North Dakota as "now the lineup for the North Dakota..... whatevers."

Archived