U. of North Dakota nickname - Have they announced one yet?

stumpygremlin

A majority of the folks who are yelling about this on social media would not have accepted any logo that wasn't the old Sioux logo, or a bird with a Native American headdress. That simply wasn't going to happen.

After a little more time to reflect, I still like the logo; only thing I'm not 100% sold on is the font/wordmark. Might grow on me, we'll see.  

qvAvG.jpg

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like this will look dated quickly. Definitely an interesting take on the Fighting Hawks name and I don't hate it, I just feel like it should be something more. I echo the sentiments that I feel like I'd see this logo for a logistics or delivery company and not necessarily athletics. There is a large trend for simplified, almost corporate logos for sports teams, so it makes sense.

I really think the university incorrectly assumed replacing the name would be a bigger deal than replacing the logo. In hindsight, maybe it would've been better to make the name selection a closed process, and then put logo choices to a public vote.

Whether or not you like what SME Branding created for UND, their task was an impossible one. Too many people view the Fighting Sioux an irreplaceable. Perhaps if those people were giving a choice among four or five, they could at least have a say in which one they hated the least. 

Or, they would just hate them all and cry "Sioux Forever."

I've always liked green, white, and black as a colour scheme. So the new look already works for me there.

I don't mind the departure from the interlocking ND. UND's take on it always bugged me with how many bevels it used. Problem is that reducing that aspect makes it look too much like Notre Dame's logo for my liking. Best to go with an ND that does its own thing.

The hawk integrating into the ND could have used another revision or two, but it still works.

Sadly it getting trashed by the user base here isn't a shock. Between the "every new release sucks!" crowd and the "Sioux forever!" crowd? It never had a chance.

Oh well. It's solid in its own right. Bold, with good colour balance. I look forward to seeing it in action on the ice.

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

I really think the university incorrectly assumed replacing the name would be a bigger deal than replacing the logo. In hindsight, maybe it would've been better to make the name selection a closed process, and then put logo choices to a public vote.

Whether or not you like what SME Branding created for UND, their task was an impossible one. Too many people view the Fighting Sioux an irreplaceable. Perhaps if those people were giving a choice among four or five, they could at least have a say in which one they hated the least. 

Or, they would just hate them all and cry "Sioux Forever."

Hard to put a logo to a public vote considering you have to pay for each of the packages to be designed. Would need a big budget to pull that off. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

31 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Hard to put a logo to a public vote considering you have to pay for each of the packages to be designed. Would need a big budget to pull that off. 

That makes sense. Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting they farm it out to four or five different branding agencies.

But in a situation like this, wouldn't SME be submitting multiple versions to present to the client? In this case, as it was described in news reports, the university's interim president (and a former governor) played an out-sized role in critiquing and offering revisions to the concepts SME presented. That makes sense, since he's the lead client. But the university could have chosen to make all stakeholders the client, and presented versions of the logo in a private vote much like they did the nickname.

6 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

That makes sense. Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting they farm it out to four or five different branding agencies.

But in a situation like this, wouldn't SME be submitting multiple versions to present to the client? In this case, as it was described in news reports, the university's interim president (and a former governor) played an out-sized role in critiquing and offering revisions to the concepts SME presented. That makes sense, since he's the lead client. But the university could have chosen to make all stakeholders the client, and presented versions of the logo in a private vote much like they did the nickname.

Yes, SME would have presented multiple versions.  But not multiple *finished* versions.  Anything they submitted would have had to then go through several rounds of revisions and feedback and revisions before it would be anywhere near close enough to present.  That's where a lot if not most of the work is done. 

And if you're going to let fans choose, then every single logo better be in its absolute final form.   You can't let fans choose and then  go back and alter their choice. 

• 1 month later...

They probably saw it as a necessity because they didn't want the bird facing backward on the left side of the helmet. The better solution would have been to use only the white hawk image, minus the "ND." It would have looked great against the green helmet, especially once enlarged. Missed opportunity. 

Again, this is what happens when an athletic organization commissions brand marks without secondary logos. From what they've shown the public this far, the work they got from SME consisted ONLY of a primary logo and a word mark. A secondary mark would is a far better choice than the primary mark, especially for a program that wears green helmets.  

Archived