U. of North Dakota nickname - Have they announced one yet?

stumpygremlin

I submitted Kodiaks.

PROS:

+Sounds great with North Dakota/NoDak/UND in front of it

+Fairly unique

+Great logo opportunity

+Marketable

CONS:

-Kodiaks aren't present in North Dakota

-Despite Kodiaks being a unique name on its own, next-door-neighbor Montana is the Grizzlies

There is no such thing as a perfect nickname for UND at this point. Each and every option has it's share of Cons, but which ones present the best combination of Pros?

Kodiaks isn't necessarily perfect, but I think it'd be one of the better choices in my biased opinion.

SIG1.png

SIG2.pngSIG3.png

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, both of the names I submitted were put on the "non-consideration" list. (Fighting Pike and Roughriders) I like the sound of North Dakota Sentinels. But fighting Sioux is still better. So is pike and Roughriders but whatever.

NEWSGG copy.png

Here is an updated list, whittled down to sixty-two names. I guess these are the names the committee will consider, so it's surprising to see "Roughriders" on this list, which was on the non-consideration list just a day prior. Also, surprising to me is how high up on their list "Force" and "North Stars" are; the former being a current Fargo-based USHL team, and the latter, of course, the former NHL team.

And sadly, the Abdominal Snowman is dead. Long live the Abdominal Snowman.

dQFHFc4.jpg

qvAvG.jpg

Here is the list of names still considered (because I couldn't see the link in the above post): http://www.grandforksherald.com/sites/default/files/Nicknames-full%20list.pdf

The y-(number) means how many of the 11 person committee voted yes in favor of the name. If the name got even one yes vote it was kept.

The most favored name was Nodaks with 7 votes, followed by North Stars and Force with 6 each and Spirit and Pride with 5 each.

North Dakota, though by far the most popular sent in name, only got 2 in favor. Flickertails 3.

And RIP Abdominal Snowman. We'll miss you :'(

All that matters is love, love, your love...

My thoughts on this final list of 64 names: I'm now leaning solely toward sticking with "North Dakota."

The challenge for UND is to find a name that doesn't feel like it's a replacement for "Fighting Sioux." It has to be strong enough to stand on its own. None of these 64 names meets that challenge. They all feel like replacements.

Based on these suggested names, it feels more and more like UND is going to turn out just like St. Johns or Miami of Ohio — with something unsurprising and uninspiring, right out of the sports-team-name-generator.

My thoughts on this final list of 64 names: I'm now leaning solely toward sticking with "North Dakota."

The challenge for UND is to find a name that doesn't feel like it's a replacement for "Fighting Sioux." It has to be strong enough to stand on its own. None of these 64 names meets that challenge. They all feel like replacements.

Based on these suggested names, it feels more and more like UND is going to turn out just like St. Johns or Miami of Ohio — with something unsurprising and uninspiring, right out of the sports-team-name-generator.

And that's a shame, because with those schools (and most others that have had to change) many people don't even associate them with the old name anymore. That is that the old name is no longer the first to come to mind with the general public. I think that even a "replacement" name would end up filling the void better that just North Dakota or even Nodaks.

I also feel like an abstract or un-connected name (Force, Snow Leopards, etc) will not be as well accepted as a a name that would've been recognizable to the people of North Dakota (Rough Riders, Fighting Pike, etc.)

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

Here is the list of names still considered (because I couldn't see the link in the above post): http://www.grandforksherald.com/sites/default/files/Nicknames-full%20list.pdf

The y-(number) means how many of the 11 person committee voted yes in favor of the name. If the name got even one yes vote it was kept.

The most favored name was Nodaks with 7 votes, followed by North Stars and Force with 6 each and Spirit and Pride with 5 each.

North Dakota, though by far the most popular sent in name, only got 2 in favor. Flickertails 3.

And RIP Abdominal Snowman. We'll miss you :'(

This definitely isn't going to end well for North Dakota if those were the committee favorites. It sounds like they're going to go as generic as possible to not create any issues.

At this point I'm just going to root for Arctic Blaze because it's hilarious.

tumblr_ld6gobN4kt1qzpwi0o1_500-300x300.j

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Archived