U. of North Dakota nickname - Have they announced one yet?

stumpygremlin

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Badlanders, that has a pretty bad ass ring to it. As long as they don't do Nike Blackouts, I'll be fine.

I'm not trying to single you out or fault you specifically as there are many who have suggested Badlanders.

But, why not North Dakota Superiors (after Lake Superior)? Or UND Yoopers (for UND's proximity to the UP of Michigan)? There are more, but I'll spare ya. Lake Superior is much closer to Grand Forks than the Badlands are, and the UP is about the same distance. Heck, you can fit the entire Hockey East Conference (save for Notre Dame) in the area between Grand Forks and the Badlands.

The Badlands have almost zero connection to UND other than a part of the Badlands are in the same state, albeit hundreds of miles away. Flatlanders would be a much better suggestion.

SIG1.png

SIG2.pngSIG3.png

Badlanders, that has a pretty bad ass ring to it. As long as they don't do Nike Blackouts, I'll be fine.

I'm not trying to single you out or fault you specifically as there are many who have suggested Badlanders.

But, why not North Dakota Superiors (after Lake Superior)? Or UND Yoopers (for UND's proximity to the UP of Michigan)? There are more, but I'll spare ya. Lake Superior is much closer to Grand Forks than the Badlands are, and the UP is about the same distance. Heck, you can fit the entire Hockey East Conference (save for Notre Dame) in the area between Grand Forks and the Badlands.

The Badlands have almost zero connection to UND other than a part of the Badlands are in the same state, albeit hundreds of miles away. Flatlanders would be a much better suggestion.

They announced that they want to represent the entire state so you might have a point.

Tf9TG.jpg

They announced that they want to represent the entire state so you might have a point.

So THAT's why Fighting Pike got rejected...they wanted to represent the plains as well.

bYhYmxh.png

A buddy of mine is convinced that Spirit is what will be picked, and was has been picked behind the scenes long ago. The whole thing is a ruse to make people think they are involved in the process.

When President Kelley came in really started implementing the term Spirit into many aspects of the university. It was his unifying term to bring all aspects of the school together. I can't find where he said it now, but he wanted all groups from athletics to academics to involve the spirit of UND. He didn't mention anything about the nickname, as that wasn't what the message was about, but if you could read between the lines, it sure seems like that's direction he wanted it to go. Somehow Spirit still stands as a nickname option as well.

I think my buddy is making a lot of sense.

SIG1.png

SIG2.pngSIG3.png

A buddy of mine is convinced that Spirit is what will be picked, and was has been picked behind the scenes long ago. The whole thing is a ruse to make people think they are involved in the process.

When President Kelley came in really started implementing the term Spirit into many aspects of the university. It was his unifying term to bring all aspects of the school together. I can't find where he said it now, but he wanted all groups from athletics to academics to involve the spirit of UND. He didn't mention anything about the nickname, as that wasn't what the message was about, but if you could read between the lines, it sure seems like that's direction he wanted it to go. Somehow Spirit still stands as a nickname option as well.

Spirit is such an incredibly lame name. Every university has "spirit." I can't even think of what the deeper imagery behind it would be. For example, when Hofstra changed from the Flying Dutchmen to the Pride, the new name was a nod to the lions in the school crest. Unless there is some similar connection there with Spirit, I think it's incredibly tacky for a Division 1 school.

Tf9TG.jpg

I believe I mentioned Spirit early on in the process as well...like 3 years ago.

I believe I mentioned Spirit early on in the process as well...like 3 years ago.

Trust me, whatever is picked will likely be just as lame as when Marquette went from Warriors to Golden Eagles. At Marquette basketball games, people still always chant "let's go Warriors". From the time of the change and to this day, the majority more or less refuse to acknowledge that the Golden Eagles name even exists. They will always be the Warriors just like UND will always be the Sioux.

Trust me, whatever is picked will likely be just as lame as when Marquette went from Warriors to Golden Eagles. At Marquette basketball games, people still always chant "let's go Warriors". From the time of the change and to this day, the majority more or less refuse to acknowledge that the Golden Eagles name even exists. They will always be the Warriors just like UND will always be the Sioux.

Dwayne Wade seems to love being a Golden Eagle...

• 3 weeks later...

I like Explorers and Rough Riders the best out of those options. Spirit and Force are me least favorite. They sound like names you give a minor league baseball team that doesn't want the same name as their parent club.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I think it would be clever if UND could adopt the "North Stars" name and somehow acquire the rights to the old Minnesota North Stars logo and apply it to the university's athletic programs.

I sincerely doubt such a thing would ever happen. But, on a personal level, it would bring back an icon of my youth and apply it to my alma mater. It's a coming-full-circle sort of thing.

I was amazed when Sun Dogs was still in the running, so I looked it up, I had no idea a sun dog was an actual term. It's by no means a good choice but I'm glad it isn't like IceDoggz or Snow Gorillas (aka just a made up name that gives them some imagery to use).

I think we should feel free to cross Blaze, Green Hawks, North Stars, Pride, Sun Dogs and Thunder Hawks off that list.

I don't even understand why the North Stars made that list... Minnesota is the North Star State, not North Dakota. The U of M and UND are huge rivals. That wouldn't even make sense. I would absolutely hate it if they became the North Dakota North Stars. A huge connection to my home state, is now connected to the university I hate the most? I feel like UND fans would say they same thing. They don't want a connection to their biggest rivalry.

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

As Minnesotan and UND fan, I don't think I would necessarily correlate North Stars with the Gophers just because the two names are connected to Minnesota.

Nevertheless, I get your point, and it's a valid one. North Dakota isn't the "North Star State," so that name choice wouldn't make sense.

As Minnesotan and UND fan, I don't think I would necessarily correlate North Stars with the Gophers just because the two names are connected to Minnesota.

Nevertheless, I get your point, and it's a valid one. North Dakota isn't the "North Star State," so that name choice wouldn't make sense.

ND is the Peace Garden State.

Not that great of a sports team name though.

87Redskins.png

Go Peace Gardeners!

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived