U. of North Dakota nickname - Have they announced one yet?

stumpygremlin

The name had to be changed because you couldn't license the intellectual property from the people who own it. Period.

As for "Pride", it's never a great nickname but at least Hofstra uses it in the sense of a collective noun for group of lions, instead of the abstract sense of satisfaction in one's own accomplishments or status.

HofstraPride.png

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The name had to be changed because you couldn't license the intellectual property from the people who own it. Period.

Completely false statement but I'm not going to get into that debate here. The name's going to change and that's a fact. Moving on...

Yep. Under the NCAA's rule a team can use the name of a Native tribe if they secure the tribe's permission. UND didn't so they couldn't use the name. That's not a statement of judgement. It's a statement of fact.

And with that we're dropping the topic. Let's focus on the potential new names. Not the old name that's not coming back.

Blaze...oh hell no...sounds too much like an indoor football team

Cavalry...I think this is one of the few here I could get behind.

Explorers...somewhat of a meh choice, but better than nothing

Fighting Green....the Mean Green already exist. The world does not need the Fighting Green.

Fighting Hawks...another meh

Force...much like holding a World Cup in a certain Arab nation that's the size of a box...SERIOUSLY?

Green Hawks...more meh, doesn't roll off the tongue all that well either.

Nodaks...I kinda hope they pick this one...and then make some weird local monster legend out of it (though the latter hope's only because Nodaks sounds kinda like Hodags to me)

North Stars...Mike Modano is not walking through that door, Sioux.

Pride...no ND! bad ND! This aint Hofstra.

Roughriders...as long as there's a sweet Teddy Roosevelt logo in the mix...or at least not DMX. Nobody needed to know what you elected to share with the world, Earl.

Spirit: on one hand, reminds me of Hofstra being the Pride. As mentioned earlier though, I could get behind Fighting Spirit.

Sundogs: doesn't seem to mix all that well.

Thunderhawks: on one hand, more 'Hawks, potential for more meh. On another hand, I can't think of this without thinking of the big Indian from Street Fighter. Indecision aside, this is at the very least the only 'hawks name I'd go with.

In honor of Roger Clemente...NORTH DAKOTA!

Once again, I don't understand this comparison to Hofstra. Pride, although not a great name I will admit, at least has a concrete connection to the university's history. Spirit doesn't. They're really two completely different things you're comparing.

How does "Pride" have a concrete connection to North Dakota any more so than it does for Hofstra, Kentucky, USC, or Michigan? I'd argue that UND's recent "Spirit Campaign" gives that more of a connection to the school than "Pride" does. Both are horribly abstract, however, although I guess some folks like that.

I actually hope the school goes with "Pride" though. For years we've been told how offensive it is when other fans chant "Sioux suck" and that's part of the reason why the former name needed to go. Then we can sit back and enjoy the popcorn while opponents have fun with the new nickname. I won't hold my breath for people demanding a change though when the first gay slur chant starts rolling thru an opponent's student section during a game...

You misunderstood what I was saying. The comparison that had been made was that "Spirit" for UND reminded him of "Pride" for Hofstra. When I said "Pride" has a concrete connection to the university's history, I was referring to Hofstra, not UND. The school's logo has featured lions for a good amount of time now, and when they changed from Flying Dutchmen to Pride, they did not want to completely shed any reference to their tradition/history. You wouldn't have been hard pressed to find lion imagery on the campus prior to the name change.

There is not a strong piece of imagery you can point to that makes "Spirit" a sensible name for UND athletics. It's fine if they want to go in another direction and make Spirit a new thing. I just don't want people to think Hofstra's name is as lame as it is. Pride actually made some modicum of sense for Hofstra, not to mention the use of the word in other contexts during the Flying Dutchmen era.

Tf9TG.jpg

As for "Pride", it's never a great nickname but at least Hofstra uses it in the sense of a collective noun for group of lions, instead of the abstract sense of satisfaction in one's own accomplishments or status.

HofstraPride.png

for some reason I've always thought hofstra's logo looked like a horse wearing a rocker mullet

HofstraPride.png

A little off topic but does anyone recall why Hofstra changed from the Dutchmen?

HofstraPride.png

A little off topic but does anyone recall why Hofstra changed from the Dutchmen?

Hofstra wanted to establish a more unified identity, so the Pride name came about as a result of a campaign to do just that. They zoned in on the lion as the symbol of the university, which made sense. But Flying Dutchmen was a great name.

Tf9TG.jpg

Likelihood (based on nothing but my gut):

1. North Dakota
  2. Roughriders
  3. Green Hawks
  4. Fighting Hawks
  5. Nodaks
  6. North Stars
  7. Sundogs

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I have a feeling that they'll go with Roughriders. This name was on the non-consideration list and has now made it to the final 7.

Lots of complaining on social media about it already being a name for Grand Forks Red River High School. No surprise there, the reason Facebook was invented was for endless complaints and arguments about the mundane.

It's a solid name with actual North Dakota history behind it. Throw some Teddy Roosevelt imagery in there and you've got yourself a stew goin', baby.

I don't mind just staying with "North Dakota", but I'm a red-blooded 'Murican consumer and I want to buy sweet gear with some badass logos on it.

qvAvG.jpg

I have a feeling that they'll go with Roughriders. This name was on the non-consideration list and has now made it to the final 7.

Lots of complaining on social media about it already being a name for Grand Forks Red River High School. No surprise there, the reason Facebook was invented was for endless complaints and arguments about the mundane.

It's a solid name with actual North Dakota history behind it. Throw some Teddy Roosevelt imagery in there and you've got yourself a stew goin', baby.

I don't mind just staying with "North Dakota", but I'm a red-blooded 'Murican consumer and I want to buy sweet gear with some badass logos on it.

I'm with you on this. Roughriders would be interesting, so long as the Teddy Roosevelt imagery is sophisticated enough to take seriously.

I'm with you on this. Roughriders would be interesting, so long as the Teddy Roosevelt imagery is sophisticated enough to take seriously.

They could easily do a profile view like the previous Sioux logo with "Riders" arched above the logo. Gives a nod to the past by being very familiar looking to what they used to wear, but it'd be a whole new name and logo.

qvAvG.jpg

3101_cedar_rapids__roughriders-alternate

8114_frisco_roughriders-alternate-2015.p

I'd be more interested if they could be original, and do Roughriders without Teddy Roosevelt.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

I know that UND said they will not go back to their original nickname of Flickertails (nickname for Richardson's Ground Squirrel) and North Dakota is the Flickertail State. I think Fighting Flickertails would be an excellent name as long as they could come up with a respectable logo. It would be interesting when they play rival Minnesota Golden Gophers, because it would be ground squirrlels vs gophers.There already tons of Redhawks from other former Native American nicknamed universities. So any hawk name should out. Roughriders, Fighting Spirit, Nodaks, or having no nickname are the only ones of the approved list that fit at all.

Archived