U. of North Dakota nickname - Have they announced one yet?

stumpygremlin

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As an alumnus of the in state rival I understand any comment I make will and should be taken with a grain of salt. That being said I was wondering if anything could be done to combine some aviation imagery in the logo. I'm drawing a blank and the best I can think of are actually going with a helicopter such as the Pave Hawk or Black Hawk. It might save some shred of originality in this entire endeavor and actually tie the nickname and logo back into the school.

The funny thing is, from what I've read int he past, McGill's nickname was actually derived from the Red Sweaters students used to wear. Nothing to do with Native Americans at all.

Same with the high school I mentioned earlier, but it gets the negative connotation when they use a Native logo.

IEI5Tg1.png

In what I think is a colossally bad idea, the Grand Forks Herald's editorial today (link) called for UND to crowd-source the creation of a logo.

IDK, it worked out well for my alma mater (SDSU). We would have been stuck with this if we went with what Phoenix Design Works came up with (after thousands of dollars and trips to SD). But the design was leaked and the students and alums we so upset that the school opened it up to a contest. Mongoose Graphics turned in the winning design and returned the prize-money ($1,500 in think). The exposure ended up paying off for them, they designed the new Creighton logos.

IMO when you open it up, at the very least, you can get designs that are created by people that are truly invested in the school and the project.

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

How many former college teams with Native American nicknames have gone to Hawks of some sort or Eagles? Hawks seems to be the predominant go to nickname when changing from a Native American name.

Off the top of my head:

Miami University (Redskins -> Redhawks)

Eastern Michigan (Hurons -> Eagles)

Marquette (Warriors -> Golden Eagles)

Seattle (Chieftains -> Redhawks)

Louisiana-Monroe (Indians -> Warhawks)

Chowan (Braves -> Hawks)

Southeast Missouri State (Indians -> Redhawks)

I know its not a hawk but I still find this a funny switch:

Carthage (Redmen -> Red Men) Yes the NCAA approved this...

Where do you think I got my idea of the Washington Redskins adopting the Lombardi-era logo (minus the feathers) and changing to the "Red Skins"?

I think they approved Carthage because red is the primary school color, and the teams wear red, making them "Red Men".

Another school for you:

In 1991, the University of Lowell became part of the UMass System, and became UMass Lowell. Their nickname changed from the Chiefs to the River Hawks.

Another one:

In 2006, Northeastern Oklahoma State changed from the Redmen to the RiverHawks. (Both schools use Rowdy as their mascot, and the web URLs are remarkably similar: goriverhawks.com for UML, goriverhawksgo.com for NSU.)

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, Almighty said:

Why are native american/Indian names and logos not allowed in US sports anymore ? I would think they would want to be remembered. 

Yeah, why all this push to see them gone? I mean I get how some names like Redskins or Redmen could be taken offensively, but other ones like Chiefs, Warriors, and other ones that use the Just Native American imagery is a little odd... I can't see how a simple Native American headdress is offensive. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

11 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

Yeah, why all this push to see them gone? I mean I get how some names like Redskins or Redmen could be taken offensively, but other ones like Chiefs, Warriors, and other ones that use the Just Native American imagery is a little odd... I can't see how a simple Native American headdress is offensive. 

It's not about "Fighting Sioux" being offensive. NCAA bylaws say that you need permission of the tribes in question to use their name. UND couldn't secure permission from one of the two Sioux tribes in North Dakota. So they have to change. 

On 1/30/2016 at 4:05 AM, Almighty said:

Why are native american/Indian names and logos not allowed in US sports anymore ? I would think they would want to be remembered. 

On 1/30/2016 at 10:38 AM, chcarlson23 said:

They are allowed.  In this case, they're using a specific tribe's name, so the NCAA said that they need to essentially "license" the name to use it.

They weren't able to do that, so they can't use it.  If they wanted to be the "braves" or "natives" or "pontiacs" and didn't use some absurdly-offensive logo, they'd probably be fine.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

UND chose New York-based SME Branding to design its new athletics identity. It's the same firm that rebranded the Miami Marlins and L.A. Galaxy. In collegiate sports, they created brand for the Northern Arizona Lumberjacks. 

After sifting through the websites of the three finalists, I think UND made the right choice. I'm looking forward to what they come up with. 

There's so much mis-information on this page.

UND was the ONLY school out of all those with a Native American nickname that needed two tribes approval.  All other schools only needed one tribe.  Why was that?  A bunch of idiots in the State Board of Higher Education (who don't work for UND, rather the entire state's public education system) decided that was an OK agreement with the NCAA (they should have either known better, or were out to make sure the nickname was removed).  

Despite a few above posts saying that UND didn't get permission from a tribe, that is false.  It was something like 71% of tribe members from the Spirit Lake tribe voted to keep the nickname.  The tribe then gave it's consent.  Why UND didn't get to keep the nickname was because of that stupid two tribe rule that was "negotiated".  Standing Rock, the other tribe in the state, didn't have a vote because their tribal leaders didn't allow it.  They knew their members would vote the same way as Spirit Lake, and the few tribal leaders wanted to make sure that UND didn't get to keep the name.

There is overwhelming support on both tribes to keep the name.  However (and understandably) there are often-times bigger issues on the reservations than UND's nickname that take precedence over our concern of a nickname.  But to say that the Sioux Natives don't want the nickname is absurd.

SIG1.png

SIG2.pngSIG3.png

Archived