"Black for Black's Sake"/"Gray for Gray's Sake" Worst Offenders

MCM0313

52f198997dfba.preview-620.jpg

Brown-and-yellow is a good, unique color scheme, and gray just muddies it up...of course, cowboys work with mud, so...

On the subject of Wyoming men's hoops: How come they wear yellow so much and never (that I can tell) brown? If I were one of the few schools in the NCAAs to have brown as an official school color (Wyoming or Western M*ch*g*n, Lehigh, Valparaiso, St. Bonaventure, Bowling Green...am I forgetting anyone?), I would wear it proudly as a mark of distinction. Instead, four of the six I mentioned seem to never wear brown at all.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MLB: Mets, A's, Toronto, KC NBA: Lakers, Warriors, 76ers, Duke BB and FB, WVa bb and FB, LSU baseball (early 2000's) Kansas football, Washington Huskies FB, Pitt basketball, UCLA football (barf) Baylor FB and BB, there's so many... Pretty much any team that doesn't have black as a school color.

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

A pair:

Louisville-1.png

527ebec0805ae.image.jpg

I can barely read the numbers on the Louisville ones, and there are just so, so many things going on on that Tech uniform. GFGS probably isn't even the biggest problem with it.

- Minnesota Twins - Minnesota Golden Gophers - Dallas Stars - Dallas Mavericks - Norwich City FC -

- Texas Tech Red Raiders - FC DallasMinnesota Vikings - Borussia Dortmund -

MLB: Mets, A's, Toronto, KC NBA: Lakers, Warriors, 76ers, Duke BB and FB, WVa bb and FB, LSU baseball (early 2000's) Kansas football, Washington Huskies FB, Pitt basketball, UCLA football (barf) Baylor FB and BB, there's so many... Pretty much any team that doesn't have black as a school color.

Sixers? The only time they had black was when it was the main color from 97-09.

Brown-and-yellow is a good, unique color scheme, and gray just muddies it up...of course, cowboys work with mud, so...

On the subject of Wyoming men's hoops: How come they wear yellow so much and never (that I can tell) brown? If I were one of the few schools in the NCAAs to have brown as an official school color (Wyoming or Western M*ch*g*n, Lehigh, Valparaiso, St. Bonaventure, Bowling Green...am I forgetting anyone?), I would wear it proudly as a mark of distinction. Instead, four of the six I mentioned seem to never wear brown at all.

I coach hockey for a school that's brown and yellow and we wear black and yellow for hockey for no reason at all! I can't stand it, as I wore brown and yellow for another program in my playing days. If you have a unique color scheme, you EMPHASIZE IT!!!

Brown University (big one you missed), Quincy University, Rowan University, Southwest Minnesota State, St. Lawrence, Tufts, and Nebraska Wesleyan. Those are the football playing schools that i know of that use brown as a primary color (except Tufts which is more of a trim color). I'm sure there are other Olympic Sports-only schools who may have brown as their primary color.

As for BFBS, University of Miami's basketball unis for the past few years.

Yes.

7028948.jpg

Yes.

021813+miami+hurricanes+basketball+larkicanesbb13-0202.JPG7070562.jpg

Yes.

mia-13-orangehome-3-620x929.jpgmia-13-orangehome-2-620x930.jpg

NO!

mia-07-09-away-620x413.jpg

MIAMI.jpg60016468.jpg

I don't care if the bright orange "Pops" off a black background. Not a school color. Leave the black and orange for Oklahoma State, Idaho State, etc.

As for gray, only schools that I can think of that have gray as part of their main school colors are Washington State and Dickinson State University. Loved it when the Cougs update their football unis a few years back and replaced their silver with gray as it should have been all along. Now it's just overused by schools who have no business using gray.

Illinois football and basketball. I know the football team wore gray as a tribute to Red "Gray Ghost" Grange, but it doesn't make them look any better. The men's basketball team does not need a gray option when they already have a sharp uniform set.

illinois-grey-uniforms.jpg

B7RT0HXCQAANh_x.jpg

Illinois football and basketball. I know the football team wore gray as a tribute to Red "Gray Ghost" Grange, but it doesn't make them look any better. The men's basketball team does not need a gray option when they already have a sharp uniform set.

illinois-grey-uniforms.jpg

Those uniforms are perfect...if the team wearing them was Utah State. Well, a different helmet decal would be needed, too.

I would add Utah basketball on a couple occasions, though I'm in phone right now. ;)

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

My biggest BFBS AND GFGS offender is Kentucky in both football and basketball.

usp_ncaa_football__south_carolina_at_ken

1410033949000-USATSI_8068643.jpg

I believe gray has been a trim color for Kentucky for years. The only thing I'd fix on the grays is making the numbers blue. That black jersey and chrome helmet are horrible though.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

My biggest BFBS AND GFGS offender is Kentucky in both football and basketball.

usp_ncaa_football__south_carolina_at_ken

1410033949000-USATSI_8068643.jpg

Football, absolutely, but I think the only time the basketball team wore black was for a 2008 tribute to long-time equipment manager Bill Keightley, who passed away. I wouldn't classify that as black "for black's sake". They did do a GFGS in 2012, though.

What about DFDS* in 1996?

* Denim For Denim's Sake

The Texas tech one was a one game De for the lone survivor foundation

It's very possible to do something without doing something so grey and so over-the-top. (Two words I never expected to go together in any circumstance.) I think it qualifies GFGS because grey becomes the main color of the uniform when the only uses of grey Tech has ever used in the past are as an accent, or as a pants color. If that's not enough, then the less offensive, but still awful grey versions of their normal uniforms work in the place of these.

- Minnesota Twins - Minnesota Golden Gophers - Dallas Stars - Dallas Mavericks - Norwich City FC -

- Texas Tech Red Raiders - FC DallasMinnesota Vikings - Borussia Dortmund -

Archived