"Black for Black's Sake"/"Gray for Gray's Sake" Worst Offenders

MCM0313

seeing UCI Eaters in their NCAA Tourney v Louisville today reminds me how bad last years adidas templet was. Looked like practice gear. Louisville doesn't look bad (except for the stupid shorts)

Edit: sorry, wrong thread guys.

Hey, it's all good. Honestly, I didn't think UCI looked terrible. Not great, but the shoulder yoke was...interesting, at least. I like it better than the stripe around Louisville et al's bellies.

Even with the tournament generally having teams play with the ugliest uniforms imaginable, UCI-Louisville was one of the all-time worst tournament match-ups for me.

PV43i7o.jpg

Tf9TG.jpg

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

seeing UCI Eaters in their NCAA Tourney v Louisville today reminds me how bad last years adidas templet was. Looked like practice gear. Louisville doesn't look bad (except for the stupid shorts)

Edit: sorry, wrong thread guys.

Hey, it's all good. Honestly, I didn't think UCI looked terrible. Not great, but the shoulder yoke was...interesting, at least. I like it better than the stripe around Louisville et al's bellies.

Even with the tournament generally having teams play with the ugliest uniforms imaginable, UCI-Louisville was one of the all-time worst tournament match-ups for me.

PV43i7o.jpg

I think the big "L" on Louisville's shorts looks great. Not so much with everything else they're wearing. And I withdraw my previous comments on UC-I's shoulder yokes. They look awful.

This mess:

sevf7grflxh0f7cfiotihnfgo.gif

Now I'm not usually one to get too bent out of shape when it comes to BFBS, but this jersey rubbed me the wrong way even as a kid. Why, after finding a lovely color scheme that perfectly matches where you play, would you come out of nowhere with an all-black look? What's sad is that it's not a bad look in a vacuum, it's just that it was an unnecessary and unfitting one for the Utah Jazz.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

This mess:

Now I'm not usually one to get too bent out of shape when it comes to BFBS, but this jersey rubbed me the wrong way even as a kid. Why, after finding a lovely color scheme that perfectly matches where you play, would you come out of nowhere with an all-black look? What's sad is that it's not a bad look in a vacuum, it's just that it was an unnecessary and unfitting one for the Utah Jazz.

Would've preferred copper with purple side panels.

This mess:sevf7grflxh0f7cfiotihnfgo.gif

Would've preferred copper with purple side panels.

Ugh, no. Purple with copper panels, yes!

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

Our football team unveiled anthracite helmets when we did our new uniforms (no anthracite jersey just pants) a couple years back and now it seems as though our basketball team has embraced BFBS fully as we do not wear the royal uniforms that often anymore. Strange that our football team is GFGS and basketball is BFBS . Are there any other occurrences of one sport doing BFBS/GFGS and another sport going the opposite direction?

083113_gsu_football_JC4.JPG

083113_gsu_football_JC14.JPG

QWZZBVXTIHOYDYZ.20130712130646.png

CAzlIN_WEAAr70d.jpg

467183598.jpg

sherrod-wright-r.j.-hunter-ncaa-basketba

Ive wanted both programs to embrace red more but it seems we are just fine with it being more of an accent color

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

This mess:

Recolour this to match the colour layout of the primaries from that era. It would have been the perfect way to transition the 90s Jazz look into the 21st century. Same general look and feel without the excessive 90s design elements.

This mess:

I'm surprised it took this long for someone to post this. If I'm not mistaken, this uniform led to the NBA cracking down and banning teams without black in their colour schemes from having black jerseys. Of course, this rule has fallen to the wayside with the addition of the Pride uniforms (Warriors' "slate", Lakers' Hollywood nights, etc.).

So the Eagles won some American Advertising Awards (ADDY) awards for their BFBS #BlackSunday campaign, when they wore all black for SNF in October. I like the Eagles midnight green and black look (though I prefer the metallic version of it), but I still consider their black jerseys and especially their black pants to be total unnecessary BFBS trash.

http://www.crossingbroad.com/2015/03/the-eagles-won-awards-for-all-that-blacksunday-stuff.html

Screen-shot-2015-03-17-at-9.22.17-AM.png

Here's more about the campaign, from back in October.

http://www.crossingbroad.com/2014/10/the-eagles-marketing-and-social-media-effort-last-week-was-one-of-the-best-ever-seen-from-a-sports-team.html

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Bumping this for the Buffalo Bulls, who just went down to the previously mentioned West Virginia.

Not just some brutal BFBS going on here, but the "NEW YORK" script (NYFNYS?) across the front is a laughable.

Buffalo-Bulls-Xavier-Ford-NCAA-Tournamen

This is so embarrassing. They make all this noise about becoming a big time college athletics brand, but then they do amateur hour BFBS. They don't even know that GFGS is the new BFBS. Gray would fit better with the new logo and the academic brand, but we still get the black. It's like when an old person uses slang that's two years past its expiration date.

Bumping this for the Buffalo Bulls, who just went down to the previously mentioned West Virginia.

Not just some brutal BFBS going on here, but the "NEW YORK" script (NYFNYS?) across the front is a laughable.

Buffalo-Bulls-Xavier-Ford-NCAA-Tournamen

This is so embarrassing. They make all this noise about becoming a big time college athletics brand, but then they do amateur hour BFBS. They don't even know that GFGS is the new BFBS. Gray would fit better with the new logo and the academic brand, but we still get the black. It's like when an old person uses slang that's two years past its expiration date.

Ignoring the whole NYBI(which i DESPISE, but I've said that elsewhere)

School colours are still blue and white and we shouldn't EVER use black. and this is a problem that predates the whole NYBI

football this was honestly perfect for me MAC+Championship+Buffalo+v+Ball+State+LL

and for basketball

27022401E.jpg(assuming that trim i

making that trim blue, if it isn't already

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Middle Tennessee has had many examples of BFBS, but this has to be by far the worst overall use of black they could have imagined:

mtsublackhelmet_zpszcmijyap.jpg

Yikes, I had no idea MTSU had gotten this BFBS look now. I already knew that they had blackout jerseys (saw them play in them about 4 and 1/2 years ago), but not black helmets. Blue and silver is a nice color combination and black is just lazy. At least make the pants AND helmet matte! I haven't been to a Blue Raiders' game in a season or two so I didn't know if they had introduced anything new.

☦ICXC NIKA

Middle Tennessee has had many examples of BFBS, but this has to be by far the worst overall use of black they could have imagined:

Yikes, I had no idea MTSU had gotten this BFBS look now. I already knew that they had blackout jerseys (saw them play in them about 4 and 1/2 years ago), but not black helmets. Blue and silver is a nice color combination and black is just lazy. At least make the pants AND helmet matte! I haven't been to a Blue Raiders' game in a season or two so I didn't know if they had introduced anything new.

Stuff like this is why I laugh at the notion that black is somehow an "elite" colour (you saw a lot of this during the Arizona State rebrand).

It's so trendy that teams up and down the NCAA hierarchy use it. It's not a sign that you're an "elite" program if you have a black uniform. It's a sign that you're a slave to trends.

As an aside...

My alma mater's official colours are purple and white. They started selling primarily black gear around fifteen years ago. It was, according to the school, in an effort to evolve with the times. People weren't interested in purple gear. They wanted dark colours. So they started selling black caps, shirts, and sweatshirts. Thing is? The sports teams all kept black to a trim colour. The UWO Mustangs teams all remained purple and white (save for a season or two where the baseball team went the Colorado Rockies route, but they've since come to their senses). The school was able to sell black gear and meet the demands of the consumers who wanted darker colours without sacrificing their established athletic brand.

Now you could say that's Canada and that university athletics is a bigger deal in the US, where you have to push stuff like black uniforms to keep up. And that's an entirely different discussion because point A needs to be addressed before we even get to point B.

Gonzaga sure looks like they are wearing black v Duke right now.

I was disappointed to see that Xavier went BFBS against Arizona last night. Did they think it would turn them into Butler or something?

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

Gonzaga sure looks like they are wearing black v Duke right now.

I was disappointed to see that Xavier went BFBS against Arizona last night. Did they think it would turn them into Butler or something?

They were. From what I can tell, the Zags wore blue and black each in about half their road games this season. Their BFBS is fairly well-executed, but still kind of pointless given that their main color is dark blue.

I work for the athletic department at MTSU, and they are just adding more and more black every year. Some of the combos are just terrible.

mtsublackjersey_zps4khapbh8.jpg

mtsublackhelmet3_zpsxgjhmaei.jpg

mtsublackhelmet2_zpsxmzxdws1.jpg

mtsu_zps4lr7w6wv.png

mtsublackjersey2_zpssppcldze.jpg

T1oYViW.png

Archived