San Jose Sharks and Pittsburgh Penguins logo theory

Slajd

Yes, sharks do eat penguins (but not in the Bay Area). http://www.penguins-world.com/what-eats-penguins/

The "Golden Triangle" behind the Penguin is a specific reference to the nickname for downtown Pittsburgh. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downtown_Pittsburgh

The "Red Triangle" refers to sharks in the San Francisco area of the Pacific Ocean (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Triangle_%28Pacific_Ocean%29), but I question whether or not the San José logo's triangle is really referencing that, since it is not red. One of the things that attracts sharks to this area is the large number of seals to eat...

I have ranted elsewhere on this site about triangles being used as a meaningless backdrop to many logos (today's example being the San Diego Gulls), and I have included San José in past rants.

In my view, this theory makes an amusing story, but I seriously doubt that the Sharks logo was meant to suggest it had eaten the Penguin- it is more likely that the Penguin logo was just a creative influence.

Use the rules of heraldry for more effective sports logos! i.e. keep it simple, use good contrast...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unlikely but would be rather clever if it were true.

The fact that people prefer the old logo to the current one absolutely baffles me. The current logo is the same idea, except much cleaner.

Agreed.

73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

29, 30, 31, 36, 39, 44, 61, 62, 65, 66, 67, 96, 10

The new one sucks because it is a Saturday Morning Cartoon using the crapass modern uniforms/color scheme. The old one is awesome because it is novel in it's derpish simplicity and the uniforms/color scheme were magnificent.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The new one sucks because it is a Saturday Morning Cartoon using the crapass modern uniforms/color scheme. The old one is awesome because it is novel in it's derpish simplicity and the uniforms/color scheme were magnificent.

Exactly. This is the pop culture equivalent of the new Sharks logo:

GreenEyesSonic-Loonatics-noscale.jpg

Can I ask a question that I've always wanted answered? What was it with the NHL and teams having logos featuring inverted triangles in the 90s? By my count, there were four (Mighty Ducks, Sharks, Penguins, and Predators).

With the Ducks there was a rumour on the Wikipedia talk page about the triangle and sticks being an upside down Delta Upsilon mark. Michael Eisner, Disney CEO at the time was (and still is?) a member of that organisation and the unofficial mascot is a duck.

It's a bit far fetched, but if Eisner/Disney's obsession with ducks in the 90's was anything to go by, it wouldn't surprise me if this actually was the case.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

The fact that people prefer the old logo to the current one absolutely baffles me. The current logo is the same idea, except much cleaner.

It's like preferring this Habs logo:

124.png

To this one:

253.png

I think what confuses people is that while the logo did improve, the uniforms did not. In fact every uniform change they've made in their history has been a downgrade IMO.

Now if they put the new logo on the inaugural jerseys or something close to them, they could make an argument for being the best looking team in all of sports. Their identity right now is more frustrating than cheering for them in a playoff situation

The thing with with the new Sharks' logo vs. the old for me is that the old is a weakly-drawn logo (seriously, that is not a good drawing of a shark), and there's not enough old-school "charm" to excuse its flaws (unlike the Pens' logo, for example). Now the new logo did go a bit overboard on the "cartoony" elements, but I feel that it's still better, just by virtue of being a better-drawn representation of the animal.

I agree with Morgo, I think it's the heavy addition of orange to the identity that sours people on the logo. Even though I don't mind the orange, I'd like to see a slightly toned-down version of the new logo with the original colors.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

I think their current logo is so much better. And how many times does a designer get to go back and tweak his original design after learning about the sport?

Which would be fine, but the new logo still fails in its depiction of a hockey stick. The designer got the blade right, but the knob on the end is still incorrectly depicted as part of the stick proper. Not the ball of layered tape it should be.

Am I the only one liking the "Buffaslug" logo ^^?

I believe you are. As a Buffalonian, I forced myself to like it when it debuted, but the more I saw it, the less and less I liked it.

When the Buffaslug first debuted we had a thread where every other NHL logo was depicted murdering the Buffaslug in some way (mostly stabbings). If someone cares to dig that up I wouldn't mind.

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/38724-death-to-the-buffaslug-sigs/

YES! Thank you

I think there might be a good logo hiding in there somewhere, but making the buffalo yellow was yucko. The white buffalo is a cool story/detail.

I do think the jersey template is an underrated modern look, though.

I think their current logo is so much better. And how many times does a designer get to go back and tweak his original design after learning about the sport?

Which would be fine, but the new logo still fails in its depiction of a hockey stick. The designer got the blade right, but the knob on the end is still incorrectly depicted as part of the stick proper. Not the ball of layered tape it should be.

I didn't say he learned a lot about the sport. :P

Seriously, though; did nobody in the ownership group, or the team's management, or whoever approved those two logos, notice?

Am I the only one liking the "Buffaslug" logo ^^?

I believe you are. As a Buffalonian, I forced myself to like it when it debuted, but the more I saw it, the less and less I liked it.

When the Buffaslug first debuted we had a thread where every other NHL logo was depicted murdering the Buffaslug in some way (mostly stabbings). If someone cares to dig that up I wouldn't mind.

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/38724-death-to-the-buffaslug-sigs/

YES! Thank you

I think there might be a good logo hiding in there somewhere, but making the buffalo yellow was yucko. The white buffalo is a cool story/detail.

I do think the jersey template is an underrated modern look, though.

I don't know about that. The team I played my minor hockey with actually wears that template, and over the last year or two, I've noticed that it's starting to look a bit dated.

At this point, I'd like to see them (I'd say "us" since I'm an alumnus, but I have to be impartial now that I'm solely a ref :P) switch to Buffalo's current template since it's not as busy.

What obsession with Ducks?

Mighty Ducks movie, Mighty Ducks team, Mighty Ducks cartoon, Darkwing Duck, DuckTales, Quack Pack, etc. There was a lot of Disney duck stuff in the 90s.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Don't know what the rationale for the Penguins triangle was, but the Sharks was a direct reference to the "Red Triangle" off the coast of the Bay Area that is a notorious hotbed of shark activity. Or at least that's how it was sold to us 20 years ago.

Just a side note, the map above would have had nothing to do with it. 237 wasn't a freeway when the Sharks started play. It wasn't upgraded to a freeway until several years later.

Don't know what the rationale for the Penguins triangle was, but the Sharks was a direct reference to the "Red Triangle" off the coast of the Bay Area that is a notorious hotbed of shark activity. Or at least that's how it was sold to us 20 years ago.

Just a side note, the map above would have had nothing to do with it. 237 wasn't a freeway when the Sharks started play. It wasn't upgraded to a freeway until several years later.

Pittsburgh is the "Golden Triangle", seen as such on the map above.

Archived