Freeway Series specials: Dodgers vs. Angels

Discrim

I've done the Crosstown Classic...and there was clamoring for Dodgers-Giants.

I've done the Subway Series...and there was clamoring for Dodgers-Giants.

Now comes...Dodgers-Angels. And there will probably still be clamoring for Dodgers-Giants until I give you Dodgers-Giants. Poor Rangers and Astros. :D While you wait a bit longer for the rivalry set you actually wanna see, here goes a pair I think you'll like anyway. Leading off, the Halos...

freewayangels.png

Initially, I was going to use what became the road design as the home whites, but then I figured this would be a good occasion to represent Orange County. I'd thought about putting together an OC as the cap logo, much like how the Ducks had an OC on one shoulder for their Stadium Series jersey, but in the end decided against it in favor of the normal cap, only with orange replacing red. The jersey is loosely based on the 95-96 California Angels alt, a personal favorite. The road uniform, which I otherwise would've also used as the home design, uses shoulder stripes, a loose cross of the 80s Angels BP jerseys and the late 50s PCL Angels, and traced the script from one I came across at Liebe, Montreal's I think (as I had a hell of a time finding pics of the jersey I was basing everything off of).

and now, dem Bums

freewaydodgers.png

For anyone wanting me to get on with it already and release Dodgers-Giants, for that series, the Dodgers are done already, I still need to work on the Giants...but I have a sinking feeling you'll wish this had been the set they faced the Giants in. Anyway, both of these unis are based on stuff the Hollywood Stars wore, if you couldn't figure out by the logo...the road is all blue with distinct sleeve striping I've only ever seen on that one Hollywood uniform. Turns out that jersey had the number over a star on the back, which I decided to allude to with essentially a watermark star here. As I needed a third color, powder blue makes a cameo appearance. The home whites...yes, they are basically a Dodgerfied version of the original shorts uniform, the one the Stars wore in the early 50s: crewneck tee instead of a button-down jersey, and pinstriped shorts despite the jersey lacking them.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

This set is fantastic! A close second to your Crosstown Series. I'm loving the dreamsicle look of the Angels home.

The Dodgers set is brilliant. Pinstripe shorts with a pullover solid white top is ridiculous, but sure enough they actually existed. Wow!

Other than Dodgers-Giants, are there any other legitimate enough MLB rivalries you could tackle? Perhaps Cards/Royals? I'm not sure how strong some of those other intrastate rivalries such as Indians/Reds are. And the Astros/Rangers rivalry has kind of lost its luster since the 'Stros moved to the AL.

This set is fantastic! A close second to your Crosstown Series. I'm loving the dreamsicle look of the Angels home.

The Dodgers set is brilliant. Pinstripe shorts with a pullover solid white top is ridiculous, but sure enough they actually existed. Wow!

Other than Dodgers-Giants, are there any other legitimate enough MLB rivalries you could tackle? Perhaps Cards/Royals? I'm not sure how strong some of those other intrastate rivalries such as Indians/Reds are. And the Astros/Rangers rivalry has kind of lost its luster since the 'Stros moved to the AL.

Thanks...Far as ideas go, the one that's been nagging at me is Orioles-Nats. Tribe-Reds, I haven't really thought about. I don't figure Rays-Marlins is all that heated, though I could be way off. That said, that is one I'll leave to someone else if they want. Far as intraleague rivalries, the only other one of those I intend to do is Phillies-Pirates, though only because I'm very confident in the ideas I have for that matchup.

Personally, I don't care if you do Dodgers/Giants. That's your call. I would, however, like to see a Giants-A's setup soon.

I agree with the giants/A's thing

That makes at least three of us :D since I hadn't put anything together for the A's, I'll hold off until I do. I have a feeling yall are gonna love what I did with the Giants, so I'll see about making an A's set that better rivals it than what I had planned to release. Between the A's own history and the Oaks, I'm aiming for something good.

2016cubscreamsig.png

Thanks...Far as ideas go, the one that's been nagging at me is Orioles-Nats. Tribe-Reds, I haven't really thought about. I don't figure Rays-Marlins is all that heated, though I could be way off. That said, that is one I'll leave to someone else if they want. Far as intraleague rivalries, the only other one of those I intend to do is Phillies-Pirates, though only because I'm very confident in the ideas I have for that matchup.

Personally, I don't care if you do Dodgers/Giants. That's your call. I would, however, like to see a Giants-A's setup soon.

That makes at least three of us :D since I hadn't put anything together for the A's, I'll hold off until I do. I have a feeling yall are gonna love what I did with the Giants, so I'll see about making an A's set that better rivals it than what I had planned to release. Between the A's own history and the Oaks, I'm aiming for something good.
COOOOOL ????? SO LOOKING FORWARD TO IT

28ahpn4.jpg

NbyQSAg.pngODa02WA.pngChTDCVV.png

I'm also curious to see what you put together for the Giants and A's. Will the Dodgers have a completely different set for the Giants match-ups than the ones you created for the Angels?

I'm also curious to see what you put together for the Giants and A's. Will the Dodgers have a completely different set for the Giants match-ups than the ones you created for the Angels?

Yes, the Dodgers' set I'd set aside for Giants games is completely different from the Freeway set. Whether that's good or bad, I'll leave up for interpretation.

These are all very impressive. I love how you take an old template, and somehow make not only more unique, but better. And I'd like to see an Ohio showdown.

Thank you...and the Ohio showdown...eh, why not, there's a lot to work with on both sides.

2016cubscreamsig.png

Archived