Pawtucket Red Sox Considering Moving

JamieRose

...to Providence (The next city over). The public outcry so far is laughable. Only in Rhode Island can someone be upset that a team may be moving 5 miles south of where they are now. I mean, I like McCoy Stadium, I've spent many summer nights there, but it's in a terrible area with small roads that get backed up for hours sometimes on game day.

http://wpri.com/2015/02/23/sources-new-paw-sox-owners-want-to-leave-pawtucket-for-providence/

I'll be pushing for the team name to be "The Pawtucket Red Sox of Providence"

TDZiMMB.png

Only thing I find sad is that it means no more McCoy Stadium.

Of all the minor league parks I've been to, that to date has been my favorite.

Not taking anything away from the newer minor league parks, most of which have been great. But would be nice to see a park at that level with a bit of actual history to it.

The team may not be losing any of their fanbase by leaving but they will be losing part of their soul.

At least there's consolation that the PawSox will be relocating to play in a privately-financed ballpark.

Baby steps, sports owners. Baby steps...

In RI, however, "privately-financed" usually means "Oh look! We've found some money behind the state house that totally didn't come from the government!"

Considering I work a few blocks from two of the possible sites, I can see two sides to this: 1) I'll be able to walk to games after work! 2) Traffic will be even crazier on nights when I don't go to games.

TDZiMMB.png

Yeah while I'm not fond of the idea of the demise of McCoy Stadium since it was one of the few gems from its era, and I'm not fond of the likely demise of the Pawtucket name... I don't see this as a big deal given it's a 5 mile move. I mean you don't see much of an outcry over the similar move happening in Connecticut of the New Britian Rock Cats 10 miles up the road to Hartford and that's not even going to be a privately financed stadium. This is just a case of a team moving within the same metropolitan area that it always represented, and in this case they're moving to the heart of that area to the largest city.

Rhode Island attorney James J. Skeffington - a principal in the team's new ownership group - is on record as saying:

"Our sense is that if the state wants us here, it should be Rhode Island Red Sox. We're all Rhode Islanders. Whether you live in Pawtucket or you live in Westerly or you live in East Providence or you live in Central Falls, we're all Rhode Islanders. This is Rhode Island's team."

Rhode Island attorney James J. Skeffington - a principal in the team's new ownership group - is on record as saying:

"Our sense is that if the state wants us here, it should be Rhode Island Red Sox. We're all Rhode Islanders. Whether you live in Pawtucket or you live in Westerly or you live in East Providence or you live in Central Falls, we're all Rhode Islanders. This is Rhode Island's team."

I'm normally not a fan of state named teams... but in Rhode Island's case I'll make an exception. I mean Rhode Island is 4x smaller than my city's metro area in San Diego.

I'm normally not a fan of state named teams... but in Rhode Island's case I'll make an exception. I mean Rhode Island is 4x smaller than my city's metro area in San Diego.

Rhode Island is roughly the same size as my county, so I agree that they can get away with a state name.

Rhode Island Red Sox sounds nice. The "RI" hats should look pretty sweet, too.

However, I'm miffed about losing the "PawSox" name. I loved that way too much. Plus didn't they just change the logo? Will they still be able to use the polar bear and paw motif?

spacer.png

Rhode Island Red Sox sounds nice. The "RI" hats should look pretty sweet, too.

However, I'm miffed about losing the "PawSox" name. I loved that way too much. Plus didn't they just change the logo? Will they still be able to use the polar bear and paw motif?

I hope they do. It's become too ingrained in their identity for them to get rid of it now. Yeah, it would require constant explanation as to why they have polar bear/paw logos, but it doesn't matter.

On another note, it's nice to see you around here again. :)

Archived