Pawtucket Red Sox Considering Moving

JamieRose

At least there's consolation that the PawSox will be relocating to play in a privately-financed ballpark.

Baby steps, sports owners. Baby steps...

In RI, however, "privately-financed" usually means "Oh look! We've found some money behind the state house that totally didn't come from the government!"

Considering I work a few blocks from two of the possible sites, I can see two sides to this: 1) I'll be able to walk to games after work! 2) Traffic will be even crazier on nights when I don't go to games.

As someone who used to live within walking distance of a minor league park and an arena (I could actually watch Lowell Spinners games from my bedroom window), it's only convenient if you're attending the game. Any other type of non-pedestrian travel around game time involves sitting in lots of traffic.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Rhode Island Red Sox sounds nice. The "RI" hats should look pretty sweet, too.

However, I'm miffed about losing the "PawSox" name. I loved that way too much. Plus didn't they just change the logo? Will they still be able to use the polar bear and paw motif?

I hope they do. It's become too ingrained in their identity for them to get rid of it now. Yeah, it would require constant explanation as to why they have polar bear/paw logos, but it doesn't matter.

On another note, it's nice to see you around here again. :)

Thanks. With the Browns new abomination logo I knew I had to come back.

spacer.png

Well, these uniforms will only get a few season of use.

PawSox-New-Uniforms.jpg

Thank god. Those are horrendous. They shouldn't have touched the uniforms and logos, except maybe making a few touchups. I can't express my hate for these logos and uniforms enough.

The Polar Bear also works with Roger Williams Park. At least growing up as a kid I thought it was cool our zoo logo and our minor league team both had polar bears.

If memory serves me, one of the reasons that the "Paws" character was originally introduced as the mascot of the Pawtucket Red Sox was to tie-in with the polar bear habitat at Roger Williams Park Zoo.

Said zoo hasn't been home to any polar bears in nearly a decade. The last to reside there died in May of 2005 after being sedated in preparation for a temporary transfer to the Indianapolis Zoo. The planned relocation was being undertaken in order to accommodate an expansion of the Roger Williams Park Zoo polar bear habitat. The tragedy of the last polar bear's death and the negative impact that the recession had on the zoo's fundraising efforts combined to ultimately put the kibosh on the facility's polar bear program.

Understandably, the Roger Williams Park Zoo logo no longer features a polar bear.

Archived